CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Mirror constraints in sketch

Mirror constraints in sketch

John

Message 1 of 6

Mirror constraints in sketch
15-02-2007 12:52 . pm | View his/her posts only
If I copy a sketch to the clipboard, all the curves, constraints and dimensions are copied. If I mirror the same entities about a line in the sketch, only the curves are copied. All I want to do is mirror an existing sketch with the dimension and constraints in the sketch, without creating a mirror in the history tree. If I could orient the sketch plane 180 degrees I would just copy the entities from the existing sketch to the back side of the original plane, then replace the original sketch with the new one. Seems like it should be very simple.

Mike

Message 2 of 6

15-02-2007 02:04 . pm | View his/her posts only
John,

Essentially, you want to be able to sketch on the back side of a datum plane. You already have a PCR in the system requesting this very same thing. Look at the attached part for a technique that you can use today. I created a plane that is 180 degrees from the original and pasted the geometry, dimensions and constraints from the original sketch.

John

Message 3 of 6

15-02-2007 02:41 . pm | View his/her posts only
I do not want to mirror a copy of the sketch, just mirror it. The person sketched it on the right side of the Y axis and it should have been on the left and more than one feature is involved. Instead of adding a mirror feature to the ones affected we just wanted to mirror the existing sketch. We can see the constraints are held if we mirror and copy. We just want to mirror, no copy, and was surprised it is necessary to redo the dimensions and constraints, when the same is not true when the sketch is moved in itself or copied to the clipboard.

In error the operator made a couple of sketches on the wrong side of center and just wants to mirror them without starting over. We understand the 3D surfacing would need to be redone. But the sketches should be easy, with the exception of a couple of constraint errors. I can see no reason why I can move all the entities in a sketch, but cannot mirror them..

I used the backside of the sketch plane as a possible solution to this problem as the copy to clipboard seems to work the way I think the mirror command should work in a sketch.

Mike

Message 4 of 6

15-02-2007 04:18 . pm | View his/her posts only
You will need to create a new datum in the correct orientation. To mirror an existing sketch, Roll Back to that sketch, pick the Relocate command from the bottom row of icons on the history manager. Pick your new datum. You can use this command to relocate any sketch to another datum or face.

Paul

Message 5 of 6

15-02-2007 04:29 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi BC,

With out entering the sketch,
Use use the Tools> Move command. Click on the sketch (in the drawing window), Select the axis you want to flip about, 0 for distance and 180 for angle.
Should give you everything you want and a lot less complicated than mucking around inside a sketch.

Another option, more of a work around, is to mirror the entities inside the sketch, then select the originals and make them construction.

Either way..

Cheers

John

Message 6 of 6

16-02-2007 07:34 . am | View his/her posts only
Thanks Mike and mudcrab,
I was just looking for the options others use. I have found reading this forum is a great place for tips and techniques that work.

Thanks again!
John
See also