Nice connection line loft

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 6

Nice connection line loft
21-02-2007 04:50 . am | View his/her posts only
Here's one to try, load the part notice the loft shape, which is not too great. Redefine the "Loft3_Surf" command. Go into the Advanced Tab. Hit connection lines "Auto" then "ok" and smile at the result.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 6

21-02-2007 08:21 . am | View his/her posts only
....and change the loft type to "no end caps". Smashing example of the function Mike - easy for all to understand (nice camio demo too).

Kevin

Message 3 of 6

21-02-2007 10:18 . am | View his/her posts only
Nice result on the original file Mike but (as always - sorry) got a question:

How do you add more connection points to avoid twisting etc in the first place? I can modify the one that is automatically created (Advanced tab) but can't add any more.

Paul

Message 4 of 6

21-02-2007 01:35 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin,
questions are very good.

Two AVI's courtesy of CJW some time back. Chris can give a fuller explanation than I, but the videos give an insight into deleting old connection lines, adding new, using RMB during point selection, auto lines etc. VX can do it!

The coolest tip about lofts.(ex CJW)
If you can loft between two shapes, rather than making the loft an end feature, removing the end caps (surface to surface loft) enables automatic surface tangency at each end. Does a lovely job. I sometimes make a profile, extruded it minus end caps, then done the loft then erased the extrude. (This rather than straight to a sketch profile) Tangency remains, so I now have the nice transition for the next feature and no fiddling with end tangency etc. Very nice.

Cheers

Kevin

Message 5 of 6

21-02-2007 01:59 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thanks mudcrab....looks like the selection of the point/method of selection is critical (eg critical/along etc).

Which is something I continue to struggle with! Be nice if in v13 VX could simplify this selection process in some way.

Mike I'll send you those bathtubs to see how VX handles those (closed) lofts. Problem I've got is I can do this stuff (fairly) easily in other apps I use but whenever I try in VX I get lost....and yes it is my fault but deadlines dictate getting stuff out the door so I never have time to get to grips with VX properly (give me a week and I could....ha! a week!!). Be prepared for lots of questions next week :-)

Chris are you going to the VX user day next week? If so see you there :-)

OldForumPost

Message 6 of 6

22-02-2007 05:51 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin
As always, please send me any problems/questions etc that you have and we will do all we can to help, and I'll see you at the user meet.
See also