CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Images in sketches

Images in sketches

Kevin

Message 1 of 4

Images in sketches
07-05-2007 11:15 . am | View his/her posts only
The new v12 visualise stuff in modelling is good but is there a way to import a jpeg or png file into a sketch so I can use it as a basis for tracing over new curves? I must admit I assumed this was part of the visualise features but it doesn't seem to be.

Am I missing something (obvious), as when I am in sketch mode there are no options (I can see) for importing bitmaps for MANUALLY tracing over. If I import a JPEG via File>Import>Image I can import it but VX automatically converts the bitmap to curves (like Illustrator can), which is very handy but in this case not what I need.

At the moment I am kind of stuck and am importing my images into Illustrator to trace the curves I want then exporting these into VX. I'd much rather do it all in VX.

Hopefully I am just missing something but if so it is not listed in the help and the menus are not obvious to me.....

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 4

08-05-2007 06:49 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

This is discussed in another post but the principle is simple:

1) Create a planar face
2) Insert the Image on the face
3) Create a Sketch on the face. You can now "trace" over the image (zoom in-out possible too) in the Sketch

Kevin

Message 3 of 4

08-05-2007 08:28 . am | View his/her posts only
Thanks Chris, thats what I have ended up doing, works fine, just adds some more stages. Maybe for 13.xx we could allow direct importing to the sketch so that the image becomes part of the sketch then?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 4

08-05-2007 02:49 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

As a work-around in v12 then you can:

1) Place the image in a drawing sheet
2) Trace it
3) Copy and paste the geom into a Sketch (dimension/constrain as required)
See also