Large file size

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 10

Large file size
16-05-2007 07:05 . am | View his/her posts only
Has anyone a couple of hints to reduce a very large assembly file in Designer (2 Gig)?

Kuul guys in Africa

Paul

Message 2 of 10

21-05-2007 02:53 . pm | View his/her posts only
Has this been sorted for you yet?
2Gb is totally obese.

At root object level there are two tools that might help. Fix Objects and Clean File. Look up help on both before using.

An older thread here.
http://www.vx.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=107&highlight_key=y&keyword1=file%20size

Apparently 2D Layouts can bloat files a bit.

And WinRar does a better job of compressing files. In my experience, about 20% improvement over Winzip.

All the best,

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 10

21-05-2007 07:15 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hello Ockert

Well, you have not told us if it is specifically the Assembly Object that is 2GB or the whole file including 2D Sheet Layouts. Generally, a large File/Object size is not a problem for VX. VX does not need to load the whole thing into memory at once, it has a streaming technology that only loads the region of data that you are currently working on. If many of the Assembly Components are in fact Part Objects in the same file, you might consider storing these Parts in a seperate file (only the fully independent models that do not cross-reference other Objects). If the issue is to do with assembly component count rather than File/Object size, it would help if the Main Assembly were to consist mostly of sub-assemblies. We have enhanced large assembly handling in VX v13x. 2D Sheet Layouts can be big. You can also define these in a seperate file if file size really is the problem. In the future, file sizes are likely to be even bigger as Users take advantage of new tools and add extras such as embedded images.

OldForumPost

Message 4 of 10

07-06-2007 12:56 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hallo gnets

Thanks for the input. I determined the cause of this; zero planinng. The file contains ALL the parts used to design the innards of a bank; tables, chairs, counters etc. ALL nuts & bolts, all assemblies ... need I go on. What they also did not do is use patterning at all.

Can you imagine all the alignments??

I was trying pre-empting a solution by asking here. I did not ask him to send me the file.

Naturally they do not have time to sharpen the saw. BTW it takes 45 min to open / save.

Maybe this classifies as a prize for largest file or ...

Ockert

Kevin

Message 5 of 10

07-06-2007 01:36 . pm | View his/her posts only
And I bet the company markets themselves with "3D layout and design included - we get it right first time because we check EVERYTHING before we install on site........(we'll be on site with our first job in 2018)" :-)

Still I'm surprised the file size was only 2GB! How many parts were in the assembly then? Brings a whole new meaning to large assembly management

Paul

Message 6 of 10

07-06-2007 04:55 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Ockert,
good on them for the complete job. However I don't think the question of the largest file was ever asked. The largest object modelled is more the point. SO, to be in, just how BIG is the bank in real units and would the file be of interest to any would be bank robbers? I expect they'd have plenty of time to open files.
Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 7 of 10

07-06-2007 07:04 . pm | View his/her posts only
Well, we are all better Users when we have the commodity of hindsight There will have to be a time when it is right to break-up the file and reduce it to a set of libraries and sensible sub-assemblies. I'm here to help when that moment arrives (it'll be a VxDAL of course).

ChrisWard2k2

Message 8 of 10

07-06-2007 07:06 . pm | View his/her posts only
Oh, dare I mention it - please ensure that the file is backed up at least daily.

OldForumPost

Message 9 of 10

17-06-2007 05:46 . am | View his/her posts only
They were doing interior design of a number of banks; many chairs, tables, counters etc. If you can imagine all the components making up a combination of furniture designs (plus all the design changes as requested by a typical client) 2 G is not difficult to generate. Difficult to regen thought.

In fairness. It was a new draughts person and new to VX.

It all went well. Eventually.

The answer is possibly to sort all sub-components by type and keep them in a separate folder. e.g. chairs, tables. Then insert from these locations.

Thanks for the comments.

Ockert

ChrisWard2k2

Message 10 of 10

17-06-2007 05:18 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi OC

I think the fact that someone new to VX can create a large project such as this is testimony of VX's general ease of use. We all take a lot of the good VX stuff for granted.
It is indeed good advice for the individual objects to be categorised and given their own files. This will be a great benefit for future projects.
See also