Unnessesary use of network

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 11

Unnessesary use of network
26-06-2007 03:36 . am | View his/her posts only
VX,

Although the path to the bundles file and the templates file is hardcoded in the configurationfile(see attachment),
VX looks onto the network when changing attributes of faces and dimensions.

Also when, within a VX session, I use the hole wizzard, VX looks through the network.
There are no (for VX) available bundle files on the network, so VX should not have a reason to look.
Asspecially when I am changing Dimensions this slows me down a lot.
My vxpaths file is rather big. I cannot change that.
I know the time loss is partially because the vxpathsfile is so big, but VX should not have a reason to look on the network in the first time.

Can Vx do somthing about this?

In the configurationfile you'll also see that the path to the templatefile is way shorter.
Here I was nog able to input the full path. VX just came up with the path you see.
I guess the pathname became too long fot the templatefile.

John

Robert

Message 2 of 11

26-06-2007 01:54 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi John,

I couldn't find your attachment

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 11

26-06-2007 04:04 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hello John

VX does not have an interest in the network unless you have used VX to access VX files over the network, which is generally not recommended (it slows things down!). It is possible that VX will check your file paths (comparing "real" path to the path listed in the vxpaths file) at any time. You may have noticed that from time to time VX will pop-up a form telling you that path/file abc cannot be found, giving you the opportunity to investigate or simply delete the entry from vxpaths.

The vxpaths file helps VX to locate and rapidly load data from VX files - important when you open an existing file and that file has links with other files, inserted components being the main concern. However, if you are experiencing too much slowness, edit the vxpaths file and delete the paths to network files. You can of course remove the file altogether (put it in a WinRar archive) if the project you are working on is "new".

OldForumPost

Message 4 of 11

28-06-2007 06:16 . am | View his/her posts only
Chris,

I tried to add a picture of the configurationscreen, but I guess I did something wrong.
No matter.
I now understand why VX is looking on the network.
As I wrote in my first remark, I cannot change my vxpathsfile.I will talk to my reseller (Edwin) about this.
Maybe there is a way to make it smaller.

Is there a way to stop VX from checking my VX pathsfile all the time?
Maybe it is possible for VX to check only when a new session of VX is started up.
This should be enough shouldnt it?

This will remove my issue completely.

John

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 11

28-06-2007 06:57 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi John

Yes there is, hide the vxpaths file from VX when it is not needed, as described above. I will raise a PCR on this issue to see what can be done.

Robert

Message 6 of 11

28-06-2007 08:06 . am | View his/her posts only
John,

As I understand things (and Chris may correct me), anytime that you access "Face Attributes, Dimension Attributes, etc." VX will access your VX paths in case you've recently read a bundles file from the network. I suggest you remove all references from Networked drives, if possible, from your VX paths.

Also, I regularily clean-up my VX paths because my system runs somewhat faster.

On a side note: certain dimensioni attribute forms may load more slowly if your system has lots of fonts since it loads all the fonts "on-the-fly".

ChrisWard2k2

Message 7 of 11

28-06-2007 08:49 . am | View his/her posts only
Hello Chaps

The vxpaths query is unlimited, all VX files have paths and all paths are checked. It is a good idea to "spring clean" the vxpaths file from time to time, as Bob recommends. I think John already does this.

The font loading thing is a good point too - it seems that there are many VX Users that have a very large font collection. VX processes fonts exstremely quickly, and in the later releases it is actually checking for character description problems too. However, lets say VX can process each complete font at a rate of around one second per font. If you have a 1000 fonts, it could take 15 minutes for all of them to be loaded!

The solution is to use a Font Manager program. I am using one, and it has made a tremendous difference in Microsoft Word, never mind VX. What a Font Manager does is allow you to have just the most frequently used fonts actually installed - this could be as few as six for most people. The rest of your fonts are contained in a list, and get installed "on demand". It is an excellent time saver and even speeds-up Windows itself.

Kevin

Message 8 of 11

28-06-2007 05:20 . pm | View his/her posts only
Of course us on the Mac have this built into the system

No seriously thats an excellent point Chris makes. On the Mac we have traditionally handled fonts on a job per job basis using Suitcase or Font Book. On Windows every time you install a new app it seems to add new fonts - try installing the free SoldiEdge Origin drafter and you will see! Even if you uninstall the apps the fonts stay behind. What Windows font utility are you using Chris?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 9 of 11

29-06-2007 05:37 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

I am using Serif Font Manager - made in the UK I think this is an excellent tool.

Note, VX Corp are not associated with Serif, I have mentioned their software because I am familiar with it and it could be useful to VX Users. There are in fact a fair number of font managers out in the wild, which indicates how useful they really are.

OldForumPost

Message 10 of 11

29-06-2007 07:31 . am | View his/her posts only
Chris,

Thanks for making a PCR. I appreciate this very much!!!!

However.
Keep in mind that I cannot remove the vxpathsfile.
Many paths in this list, direct VX to my standard files, but also to a lot of projects used.
So cleaningup is not realy happening here, my vx pathsfile will continue to grow over time.
(hmmm ... I will discuss this later with Edwin. Maybe I can remove some paths......I've got to think this over)

Said that,
I think that VX should not go on the network EVER when I want VX to look in the bundles.vx file or the templates.vx, (who have a hardcoded path within my configurationfile).

John

ChrisWard2k2

Message 11 of 11

29-06-2007 09:21 . am | View his/her posts only
Hello John

For a new project, you can remove the existing vxpaths file. If, when building the new project, you do access library files, they will be added to a new vxpaths file. So, in other words, you could have a vxpaths file for each project, rather than one "giant" file for all projects.
See also