Corner round?

cutter

Message 1 of 10

Corner round?
17-07-2007 06:26 . pm | View his/her posts only
I hope the file got through as this upload mechanism is kind of weird, but anyway. My problem is I find no easy way to do simple 2D things like corner round. And this is a big issue for me as 90% plus of my work is 2D. I have a part that is basicaly rectangular in section and 12.875" long. All I want to do is put a .25" radius on one edge on this silly thing. Does anybody have any ideas on how to QUICKLY AND EASILY DO THIS? Spending hours trying to get this to work is hard for me to justify when I am only going to cut 6 pieces. I can do this in Surfcam in about 10 minutes with their corner round function but I am trying to stick with VX so I can change the part for the cam plan if I have to without having to leave VX. 2D seems in many ways more difficult than a thousand surface die pair would be in VX and I am wondering what I am missing that would make my life easier. Please let me know if you can help. My email is fieldweld@hughes.net

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 10

18-07-2007 06:20 . am | View his/her posts only
Hello Dave

I passed the file that you emailed to me on to Tom Minten. Tom took a quick look and produced a couple of methods. referring to the CAM Plan attached, the first op in the tree is the most efficient way to generate the fillet with a ball-nose cutter. The second Op is a tip from Tom for situations where the cut direction has to be forced to be along the part - that requires a lot of toolpath for very fine work, too much time on the machine in most circumstances. Both Ops are finish cuts and assume that the stock has been pre-cut close to the finished shape required. Check out the Ops in Solid Verify (you will need to calculate the paths first, I have removed them to reduce the file size).

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 10

18-07-2007 08:33 . am | View his/her posts only
By the way Dave, if you look at the true Plan View, the Part is not square (not normal YZ) - may be that is not intended.

cutter

Message 4 of 10

18-07-2007 08:56 . am | View his/her posts only
Chris, I did catch that but that was after sending the forum post in. I will see about the toolpaths later today and let you know what I think. Thanks, Dave

cutter

Message 5 of 10

18-07-2007 09:22 . am | View his/her posts only
Chris, I looked at the toolpaths Tom sent to you. Thanks Tom for your time. This is my problem with them however. I cannot justify the time spent cutting these 6 pieces by these methods. A simple and easy to use corner round function that would recognise corner round tools would cut this part in 1/50th the time. I will end up going to my kneemill to do this instead of my HAAS. Most machine shops, at least the ones here in Tennessee that I am familiar with have a preponderance of 2D work and lack of tools like the corner round function [among others] mean we cannot use VX for a lot of our 2D parts. Time is money. Is there a way to do these corner round paths without trouble? Just as an aside here, why would VX want to limit such a wonderfull CAD program with a troublesome 2D CAM program when so much of the machining world does mostly 2D work? It does limit your market appeal after all. Anyone with a method of quick corner round toolpaths please contact me I need to know how.

Robert

Message 6 of 10

18-07-2007 11:44 . am | View his/her posts only
Dave,

You make a good point and I've raised this topic with the head of our CAM group. I was surprised to learn that round-milling tools aren't easily available.

I used a chamfer tool instead and then used the chamfer cycle on the top edge of the round (varying the tip depth, etc.)

Could you please provide a picture of your round-mill tool?

thanks,

ChrisWard2k2

Message 7 of 10

18-07-2007 11:59 . am | View his/her posts only
Hello Dave

I hope your intentions are sincere - in your email you did not mention a corner round cutter tool, you asked for a toolpath to produce a generated fillet using a 0.375 ball cutter, so that is what we did.

As you know, VX does not (currently) have a toolpath operation dedicated to corner round tools. You can still produce CNC output to drive a corner round tool, see my file attached. The first op in the tree "thinks" it is driving a plain end mill, but on the machine you can use the corner round tool. It is simple to create the profile for the path, step through the history of the model.

cutter

Message 8 of 10

18-07-2007 11:03 . pm | View his/her posts only
Chris, anything that takes uneccessary time to do I take very seriously. I asked for a ball mill tool path because VX has has no corner round tool path and I like to verify my parts when done. I did look at your suggestion and it is way to complicated compared to just creating the part in VX and exporting it to a cam program that has good 2D tool capabilities and doing the solid verify there to. You and I discussed the program I am talking about before and if you wish I will send you a copy. You can run it in demo mode and at least see the tool types and toolpath "fill in" parameters. Bob, please look in any endmill suppliers catalogue for the various flavors of corner round endmills. The corner round tool library in the program I use has them all including auto speeds and feeds for all common carbides and steels and insert cutters. I can send you a copy of this program to if you wish as demo mode is free. 2D is the preponderance of parts cut in the shops I am personally familiar with and we have to have quick and easy to profit. Let me know on the cd and thanks for your time chris. Dave Ault

cutter

Message 9 of 10

18-07-2007 11:20 . pm | View his/her posts only
Bob, here are some pages from the 2006-2007 MSC catalogue. HSS pg 402 and 432 and sets pg 432. Solid carbide corner round pg 506-507. Indexable carbide corner round pg 737. And if you dig you will find more options to do corner rounding with cabide inserts perhaps labeled as convex or concave. And you can get these with various coatings. Order an MSC catalogue and look in it for an excellent idea of what is available because someone is pulling your leg if they told you these are hard to get. You can view these pages online by the way. Thanks for your interest, Dave Ault

cutter

Message 10 of 10

19-07-2007 09:41 . am | View his/her posts only
Bob, Here also is a screen capture of a corner round endmill and if you do a google search for "corner round end mill" you will get 2,040,000 to choose from loaded with lots of suppliers. Dave
See also