CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Roland CNC milling

Roland CNC milling

Tom

Message 1 of 4

Roland CNC milling
31-08-2007 08:54 . am | View his/her posts only
My company is looking for a 3-axis CNC milling machine to plug a shotfall in our machining capacity (we already have a Datron 3-axis milling machine which we are very happy with, but we now need more capacity!) Typical work we carry out includes shaping of modelboard and foams, 3D milling of plastics and brass but usually workpieces less than 12" square.

We were considering one of the machines from Roland DG (UK) Ltd (link) e.g. MDX-540A and were wondering if anyone has any experience of these - we have been told they will work with VX CAM.

Any advice would be appreciated, including recommendations for other similar machines available in the UK.

Thanks, Tom.
tom.collings@kinneirdufort.com

OldForumPost

Message 2 of 4

03-09-2007 02:52 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Tom,

Keep in mind that if you want to do real parts, you need somewhat accuracy from the machine base.

Our company is distributor for VX and DATRON in Finland and our dealer for VX is selling Roland.
Both machines work with VX.

I compare here similar models from both machine manufacturer. Roland MDX-540 and DATRON M25. Then it would not be so difficult to make your choice.
Both machines are capable to do similar jobs.

Values and prices what I give here are only from official sources.

Differences:

ACCURACY
Roland gives for MDX-540 positioning accuracy

Tom

Message 3 of 4

03-09-2007 03:18 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Jukka

Thank you for your very knowledgeable reply. We are still waiting for UK price information on a couple of machines (and a demonstration of the Roland would of course be essential.) However I was under the impression that the price difference between the two machines you mention was far greater than you quoted.

Since we got our first machine, the Datron M35, we have been really pleased with it and would of course be happy with another the same, but at the moment we are looking for a machine which is slightly smaller in terms of machining capacity, physical space in our prototyping lab, and hopefully budget. I realise the Roland is considerably more lightweight and probably less accurate and powerful but we have many applications for which this would not be important, e.g. foam block models or modelboard (Ureol) rigs.

I'm glad that both are recommended for use with VX though!

OldForumPost

Message 4 of 4

09-09-2007 12:15 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Tom,

What I did was actually checking similar options from both machines. This way you get honest evaluation.
Normal salesman, as I do it too, will keep at start price low. After customer is saying: "Yes, I want your machine." He will start to sell add on's. This is normal sales tactic.

Thing is, Roland you can get with "strip down price" as low as 16.000,-. With Datron you can't get cut down "starting from" prices. It is "as is" price with standard accessories. So on that perspective you are right. Roland is cheaper.

Regards,

Jukka Jalo
Finland
See also