CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > 5 Axis CNC machining

5 Axis CNC machining

warren

Message 1 of 8

5 Axis CNC machining
17-10-2007 01:40 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hello Y'all.

I am looking to talk to anyone out here in VX world that uses VX for 5 Axis programming. I will be getting a large 5 axis router (50 ft x 20 ft, dual gantry) for an aerospace company by year's end. I already have VX and use it for my 3 axis programming but know no one using it for 5 axis. The 'Boss' wants to get SolidCAM (since the company does all the design in SolidWorks) , Another 'Boss' wants MasterCAM (I was born and raised on that until they came out with V10 which was no fun) And I figure I can use VX since I will be the only programmer.

Please send an email and some links to your equipment and shop so we can get in touch and talk shop. Thanks

Warren Blazenski
Design Engineer

warrenb@epicaircraft.com
www.epicaircraft.com

OldForumPost

Message 2 of 8

19-10-2007 01:44 . am | View his/her posts only
Hello Warren,

This is Luurt Burema from 4C Consultants in Holland.
We have a big customer who uses VX for all types of machining, from 2 axis to 5 axis simultanious.
The 5 axis machining is used for producing impellers for turbines and compressors.
I think that VX offers more than enough functionality in the 5X area for your needs.

Regards
Luurt Burema
4C Consultants

Luurt@4cccc.nl

dd

Message 3 of 8

11-11-2007 05:20 . am | View his/her posts only
Hello

I also have a customer who's working with a DMG DMU80 (5axis) in aerospace industry. He's unsing UG NX for his projects, but for this machine the compatibility with NX generated several problems. Thats why he is interested how vx can resolve this compatibility.
The main problem to resolve is the adjustment of tool path taking its usage into account. There are a lot of high precision parts for which is necessary to use this kind of control.
Did anybody knows if vx can solve this?

Thank you,
Dorin Dascalu
dd@logicad.ro

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 8

11-11-2007 04:00 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Dorin

That is essentially a feature of the CNC Controller. What is actually needed is very much task dependent too, but it sounds like a CUTCOM issue.

dd

Message 5 of 8

12-11-2007 01:29 . am | View his/her posts only
Thank you,

what is CUTCOM?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 8

12-11-2007 06:02 . am | View his/her posts only

It stands for "cutter compensation" and is used in one of two scenarios. Firstly, before a toolpath is cut, the cutter diameter can be calibrated on the CNC Machine. For precision work, this is useful because the cutter is likely to be slightly over or slightly under the nominal diameter. With CUTCOM on, the true diameter of the cutter is used - think of a "virtual" tool path which is an offset of the programed toolpath. This can be (carefully) taken to the nth degree - let's say your toolpath was calculated for a 10mm dia cutter. The shape of the part can actually accommodate a 14mm dia cutter and you have a 14mm but do not have a 10mm - using CUTCOM, you can use the 14mm cutter without needing to create a new CNC program.

dd

Message 7 of 8

12-11-2007 11:35 . pm | View his/her posts only
So, CUTCOM is a specific function only for VX or a general one?
Did you think that also NX can resolve that?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 8 of 8

13-11-2007 05:13 . am | View his/her posts only

CUTCOM is an industry standard and most modern CNC Controllers support it. Many CAM systems have some support for CUTCOM and in any event it is possible to introduce CUTCOM via the post-processor. I would be surprised to find that NX does not support CUTCOM, it surely must do given the enormous cost of that application.
See also