VX 13 available

Kevin

Message 1 of 5

VX 13 available
16-11-2007 08:51 . am | View his/her posts only
Just in case you didn't know you can download VX 13 from the customer support site now. Seems that VX are following the McNeel guide to product launches - don't tell the forum, don't post it onto the website, don't tell the customers. It kind of makes an interesting alternative to the typical fanfare that comes with a SolidWorks launch - eg - about 2 months of build up, but I would like to know what's new via a few pages of a pdf (read pictures) on the website rather than trying to make head or tail of the fixed and enhanced lists on the support site. Is there any reason the v13 (and the v12 come to that) launch is, er, not? Surely its not that bad

Steve

Message 2 of 5

16-11-2007 09:32 . am | View his/her posts only
What I'd like to see, is what Delcam included in updates. They had a 'what's new' with step by step tutorials and videos of the new functionality with every point release that did add new features.

Kevin

Message 3 of 5

16-11-2007 11:22 . am | View his/her posts only
Sounds like a good idea to me Steve.

Mike

Message 4 of 5

16-11-2007 05:05 . pm | View his/her posts only
Kevin,

Sorry you did not get a notice. I sent an email last week to all VX dealers but as it turns out, your dealer is out of the country. The support web site has had RELEASE NOTES on there for years. It lists Enhancements as well as Fixes for every point release. Look at all of them starting with 13.0 through 13.40.
I have attached a document that gives you some highlights of those enhancements.
Here are a few:
- If you want to run simultaneous copies of VX, in the past you had to install a second USER directory. In 13, under the UTILITIES pulldown, use the command "Start another VX". It creates another User directory automatically.
- A new filleting engine is available. There is still work to be done but there are enough significant improvements that we made it available. See the PART tab on the vxconfig. We will actually attempt to use both engines if necessary.
- When you select the units you wish to work in, we now not only set the units in your config file but adjust a lot of default values so they make more sense. This does not affect you lucky users who have always used the metric system but those using inches will now see the tolerance and other defaults that make sense. (Not that anybody uses default values, but we put them there because we care.)
- In session management, with the emergency session backup checked, if the software should cease to run we create an "Emergency backup session" instead of overwriting your backup session. We found that in some cases that session could become corrupt. Now you have a choice to look at the "Emergency backup" and determine if you want to proceed with that.
- When you are finished working on a part and are ready to create a drawing sheet or cam plan, you can right-click and pick one or the other. A cam plan will be created with the geometry already selected or a sheet with a four view layout waiting for you to hit OK. (Currently there are no Templates available for this quick access.) But, I figured that full disclosure would get me more points in the after life.
- To give Chris Ward 'props', you can now create text that follows a curve using READY SKETCH.
- Software installation no longer prompts you to install a license. We have separated the two functions. (About time!)
- Sketches containing just points is now valid. The sketch can be used as the location for inserting Holes using the HOLE WIZARD; creating hole and electrode tables on a sheet.
- You now have access to all dimension attributes at insertion time.
- Threaded holes are now graphically shown in the model. Check out the shaded view.

Kevin

Message 5 of 5

17-11-2007 02:17 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thanks Mike, the word doc is great.
See also