CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > installing VX on microsoft vista

installing VX on microsoft vista

dd

Message 1 of 20

installing VX on microsoft vista
16-11-2007 01:55 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hello,

I have to install vx 13 on vista.... (downloaded version from vx support site)
the problem is that when i start setup.exe, nothing happened even i start it as administrator or not.
in the same time, if I copy extracted files with directory structure on my hdd, and i start vx everything is ok, and i can work with.
is it correct?

Dorin

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 20

16-11-2007 02:04 . pm | View his/her posts only

Hello ddorin

The VX installation onto Vista is essentially the same as installing on WindowsXP. If Setup.exe fails to start, the installation may have failed - possibly the download failed or corrupted.

Note, VX v13 is compatible and ready for Windows Vista, but Windows Vista is not ready for CAD-CAM. There is a huge speed issue concerning the graphics drivers and OpenGL for Vista. Vista itself is very graphics -hungry and is demanding of the graphics card without any other software being run. WinXP remains the best choice for CAD-CAM for now.

dd

Message 3 of 20

16-11-2007 02:12 . pm | View his/her posts only
Yes I know that XP is the best choise for cad/cam....but now, I have vista.
my problem is that is correct to use vx without running setup, only extract directory structure form zip file and simply start vx.exe. is works on my computer, but i didn't know if it is 100% performance on this way.
Dorin

Mike

Message 4 of 20

16-11-2007 03:53 . pm | View his/her posts only
Dorin,

What you will be missing is a USER directory. VISTA is very particular where this file is created. That is why we had to move the USER directory out of Program Files/VXCorp. One thing to check is your system clock. It has to be pretty close to accurate for SETUP to run.

dd

Message 5 of 20

17-11-2007 02:14 . am | View his/her posts only
Hello Mike,

Excuse me , but i don't understand what i have to do now !!!
1. i have to do something with USER directory?
2. what about clock system?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 20

17-11-2007 07:50 . am | View his/her posts only

Hello Dorin

What you have at the moment is a failed install. Even if you can run vx.exe from the CD or copied from the CD, a substantial amount of the VX system is missing. We do not know why you have a failed install there could be many reasons, all to do with your PC. Ensure that you are the Administrator User with Full privileges. I think it is possible your download, or the extraction of the download file, is broken in some way.

1) Via Windows Control Panel, Uninstall VX. After un-install, Check that the VX folders have been deleted.

2) Sorry about this, but I think it is wise to perform the download again.

3) Extract the zip or rar to an empty folder at the root of drive C: e.g. C:VxNew

4) Go to the VX folder and run Setup.exe e.g. C:VxNewVXSetup.exe

5) During the setting up of the install, you will see that the User Folder is going to be saved in My Documents. If you want to change the location you can, but the folder must not be created within the Vista Systems Folders. For example, it cannot be in the Program Files folder (as earlier VX version were).

6) When the install is running, don't go anywhere, stay there and keep an eye out for error messages!

Concerning you system time, this must be accurate (all VX files record the time). Most PCs do keep good time anyway, but it has been known for Users to simply have the wrong time, sometimes because they have not kept up with a "daylight savings time" change (even the wrong date - even the wrong year!). If the time is not accurate within a couple of minutes, that could lead to problems with the software.

dd

Message 7 of 20

17-11-2007 01:07 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thank you Chris,

everything is ok but after step 4 i have no result!
when I run setup ... nothing happened (no program is starting, no errors, no questions)... and here I am .

dd

Message 8 of 20

18-11-2007 10:10 . am | View his/her posts only
Thank you all,

I fixed it!
User domain settings problem!
thx,

ChrisWard2k2

Message 9 of 20

18-11-2007 10:33 . am | View his/her posts only

Thats cool Dorin. There are times when you wonder if your computer just decides to mis-behave for it's own entertainment

Mike

Message 10 of 20

19-11-2007 05:03 . pm | View his/her posts only
We have said since time began that you had to be Administrator to install VX. Well, on Vista you must be administrator not just have admin rights.

Kevin

Message 11 of 20

20-11-2007 05:33 . am | View his/her posts only
How does this affect those companies that have IT departments who don't let users be administrators? Do you need to be an administrator to install only, or to install and use?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 12 of 20

20-11-2007 06:38 . am | View his/her posts only

In the past, the VX User had to be a User with full admin privileges because of various system files that VX needed to access. We have changed our file structure to comply with the Vista requirements. It is still essential that installations are done by the Administrator.

Thinking of expanding Kevin?

Kevin

Message 13 of 20

20-11-2007 10:04 . am | View his/her posts only
The only thing that is expanding here Chris is my waistline and my landlord's bank balance

No I'm just curious as I am looking to replace all the hardware in the next few months and like many micro businesses we share machines with different users. Some users ar sub contractors who I would rather did not have full access to all areas, but would still let them have access to VX if needed.

Question I would have is what OS would you buy if you bought new hardware in the next 3 to 4 months, and with the proviso is that that hardware is being used for heavy duty rendering and some 3D scanning. Obviously if VX ran on Mac OSX I would go with an 8 core 3GHz dual Xeon MacPro beast with 16GB ram but that is kind of pointless given that XP is throttled to 3GB with tricks, and Vista is not being recommended for 3D CAD. Ideally I would like somebody to run comparative tests on VX or SolidWorks with Vista and XP.

Of course if we can't resolve our office rental lease soon all this will be academic as the money will be going on moving premises!

Steve

Message 14 of 20

20-11-2007 10:38 . am | View his/her posts only
Why not go with XP64?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 15 of 20

20-11-2007 10:55 . am | View his/her posts only

All CAD-CAM will be slower on the current Vista than on XP. Even smaller applications seem to be sluggish. Microsoft and the two main graphics card manufacturers are working on the problems (nVidia, ATI). There are one or two CAD systems that run on MS DirectX only (still a problem!), but all the serious apps, VX included, require OpenGL (bigger problem). Of the Vista versions available, the "business" edition is currently the best choice for CAD-CAM because it makes the lowest demand of the graphics.

It is fair to assume that MS can improve Vista (First service pack is 1GB), and at the same time the shear "grunt" of new hardware can make up for the lack of speed when compared to XP. However, you do not have to choose one or the other, because MS have an agreement with their Resellers - if the customer buys a Vista ready machine, they can have WinXP for now if they wish and move over to Vista when it is ready - two OS's for the price of one

Did you read about the new Mac Leopard OS losing files during copy and paste? Scary.

Concerning WinXP64, it does not currently offer great advantage for running VX v13. VX v14 however will be a bit of a beast.....

ChrisWard2k2

Message 16 of 20

20-11-2007 03:20 . pm | View his/her posts only

This explains the "smaller applications sluggish" bit:

http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2007/11/vista-sp1-performance-dud.html

Paul

Message 17 of 20

22-11-2007 02:57 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,
that was one very interesting blog as was the "What Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away'

I noticed the V13.4 download was a chunk smaller than the previous version.
And my impression is that V13.4 is noticably faster than V12.

Am I correct or is it mere optimism?

Most programs get bigger and more resource hungry. If VX can buck the trend, all power to it.

Less is more!

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 18 of 20

22-11-2007 05:11 . pm | View his/her posts only

Hi Paul

You are correct but it has not been a specific design aim to make the package size smaller. VX has always been the fastest and yes there has been a dedicated effort to reduce the Windows Resource burden. This might explain why people think VX could be OK on Vista. Since VX 13 is faster, it does seem to be about the same speed as v11/v12 on Vista for a "regular" product model task. However, Vista rapidly spoils the party as the geometry becomes more demanding. Not sure if the story is true, but it has been claimed that even Microsoft's own hardware designers have had a serious moan about the performance of their CAD system running on Vista.......

Mike

Message 19 of 20

22-12-2007 10:56 . am | View his/her posts only
Dorin,

I received the following information from one of the developers. I have not had a chance to investigate it but if you want to look at it:

Failure of Setup.exe and/or autorun for Vx Install, has to do with his ACP (Access Control Policy) for Admin user.

Please let us know if this is indeed your solution. Try it with the new 13.43 download.

Mark

Message 20 of 20

07-01-2008 06:30 . am | View his/her posts only

Concerning WinXP64, it does not currently offer great advantage for running VX v13. VX v14 however will be a bit of a beast.....

I will personally look forward to that being realised!
See also