CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > TIP: Your 'template' 2D sheet from RMB in Part

TIP: Your 'template' 2D sheet from RMB in Part

Paul

Message 1 of 5

TIP: Your 'template' 2D sheet from RMB in Part
14-04-2008 12:13 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi All,
I asked a my support guru a while back if there was anyway of getting the RMB 2D drawing to open my choice of sheet template. At the time it was no.
Seems there is a cute way to do it, although an on the fly template selection would be preferable.

Anyway. From root object menu, Uitlities/Config/General tab/Sheet Template Name enter the (edit templates/rename/Ctrl-C/ Stop) (or paste) Template name you want.

Next time you RMB 2D Sheet, you'll get YOUIR template AND the part name + suffix_2D for the drawing name all auto. Kinda slick as I use Partname + a suffix for drawing ID anyway. So with the Windows style rename in root objects, it's a breeze to keep em' tight and accurate.
'
Don't know what the Part Template Name is supposed to do...? I do know that it you type 'Woopee' in there you get an error message next time you make a new part object?
Actually, if you put the Part Template name in there, you can bypass having to choose the part template from the list when creating new parts objects. Yeah, not as exciting eh! I quess it's a few less clicks per year.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 5

14-04-2008 05:00 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Mudcrab

You can pre-set attributes in your Part Template (Part Attribs, Face Attribs, Line attribs etc). Especially useful if, for example, you have User defined Part Attribs for later use in a 2D Layout BOM. It also saves you from continually entering items that are always the same such as the Designer's name etc. If designing a family of similar but not identical Parts, you can have the seed geometry in a Part Template.

Mike

Message 3 of 5

16-04-2008 03:06 . pm | View his/her posts only
Another common use is to open the part template of choice and set the dimension attribute of decimal precision (for the sketcher). The defaults may not be what you need. Your sheet templates control the number of decimals displayed on a drawing.

BTW, the "plan template" is the CAM Plan template.

Paul

Message 4 of 5

16-04-2008 08:16 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thanks - The tips have helped me in setting up better templates

One thing that continues to puzzle me is how to set the sketcher line, dimension, point , text attributes so they are always what I want in a new part.
If I go to templates, open my part template (mm) and edit the attributes it is for the 3D Wire frame but has no effect on sketcher attribs.
How do you define sketcher attributes ina template? AND are there differences in this process for different versions (12 & 13)

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 5

17-04-2008 05:22 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Mudcrab

The templates are for Root Objects only, you currently cannot have templates for sibling Sketches. Things you can do:

1) Define a VX Bundle;

2) Define an empty VX File with everything set-up as you prefer (still no siblings, sorry). Just open it and then immediately use "Save As".
See also