CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Corner round and other cutter types

Corner round and other cutter types

cutter

Message 1 of 5

Corner round and other cutter types
09-05-2008 08:16 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi all, just curious to know the status for improved tool libraries in VX. I had some parts recently that had radiused edges everywhere but could not supply them that way to my customer without going back and hand filing them as there is NO WAY as of yet in VX to do this. There is another set of parts I cut for a customer that would really be speeded up if I could input a custom shape tool. I could reduce the time spent from 26.5 minutes to I figure around 8 minutes. Now before anyone says that you can adapt something like the existing chamfer mill program to do that please consider the following. A it takes time to sit down and try to make a tool path do what it was not designed to do and scrap as you proof it once, twice or however many times it takes because B you cannot run verify on this situation. And you cannot adapt anything to a special cutter tool type without even more problems time and scrap. This is my most extreme example of the problems caused by lack of tool types but they are with me most every day in one degree or another. Anyone else have these issues too?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 5

09-05-2008 08:51 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Cutter

Certainly other customers will have these problems for 2x milling and that is why the VX Tool Library is being enhanced. It isn't simply a matter of defining extra cutter shapes of course, the code that creates the operation must be "shape aware", so we do have a lot of work to do.

Some customers might be using a chamfer operation with a corner-round tool, that is of course possible to set up and once calculated for the range of tools/scenarios you have, it should not take so long to deploy. For many cases (not all), you can still have a representative solid verify, you will just see chamfers rather than fillets. At the expense of machining time, when you have not got the exact cutter for the task, corner rounds can be derived using a ball nose cutter - this can still be a better bet than off-machine work where accuracy is a major factor.

Robert

Message 3 of 5

09-05-2008 11:04 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Dave,

Corner-rounds and lolli-pops are scheduled for V14.

cutter

Message 4 of 5

12-05-2008 09:42 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Bob, I will wellcome this more than you know as it has been a long running problem that forces me to use Surfcam on more parts than you may think. As a reflection on this as you may imagine when cam users talk it generally gets around to what do you use and why. And then comes the defense of how good your product is and why everyone there should be as smart as you and use what you use. I don't know why it is so important to many that their selection of a cam program should be validated by everyone around them and their wisdom proven by users of other programs immediatly seeing the error of their ways and switching to what they chose to use but this is the way it goes. I don't contribute to these conversations because tool libraries and tool types recognised by VX are an immediate show stopper. It is in my opinion the single largest drawback to VX in any area and has cost you A LOT of sales. My friends will not even consider VX CAM because of this.
You will be I believe well rewarded by sales volume increases when this gets fixed.

Robert

Message 5 of 5

12-05-2008 08:32 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Dave,

Let's chat about this tomorrow... Mano e mano.

bobf
See also