CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > IGES and STEP will it give you the texture coordinates when exporting?

IGES and STEP will it give you the texture coordinates when exporting?

Mark

Message 1 of 5

IGES and STEP will it give you the texture coordinates when exporting?
21-05-2008 10:12 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi I am having an issue applying labels in my rendering Package, Hypershot.

http://hypershot.hyperboards.com/index.php?action=view_topic&topic_id=584

My question to them was this.
"I use Varimetrix, VX
, US Cad product.
I am currently exporting iges and am learning the HS product. We are happy with the results to date.
But I am wondering how if I can, apply labels decals to my model surfaces?
Using Iges, I understand the need for having surfaces on different layers in VX before export to apply different materials to each surface, but will I have any label application, position and scale options open to me?"

Their reply was this.

"It all depends on the implementation of IGES and STEP by the CAD vendor. ALIAS for example will give you the texture coordinates even when exporting via IGES."

Have you any information that may help?

Thanks

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 5

21-05-2008 10:36 . am | View his/her posts only

Hello the MIB.

VX does not support texture ordinates in STEP exports and I'm not sure if STEP AP203/214 has support for them anyway.

Texture ordinates do not formally exist in the IGES standard, which pre-dates them. However, it may be possible to include representative data. The HyperShot people would have to specify exactly what their program expects to see in the IGES file for this purpose.

Kevin

Message 3 of 5

22-05-2008 05:22 . pm | View his/her posts only
Another option Chris would be for VX to export .OBJ with textures as this can be used in not only Hypershot but a very wide range of rendering applications.

Mark

Message 4 of 5

23-05-2008 03:53 . am | View his/her posts only
I thought I would be pushing my luck suggesting this?!!

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 5

23-05-2008 02:11 . pm | View his/her posts only

That would be interesting because the native format for Pov Ray is similar to .OBJ, so VX could support it without too much work to do on our side. However, BunkSpeed are a new kid on the block - as I understand it, they do not fully support any format as yet
See also