CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > VX user, supervisor wants me to use SW. Have I an argument to keep it?

VX user, supervisor wants me to use SW. Have I an argument to keep it?

Mark

Message 1 of 8

VX user, supervisor wants me to use SW. Have I an argument to keep it?
22-05-2008 08:51 . am | View his/her posts only
First of all, this is not a VX bashing thread.
I have used successfully in most instances Varimetrix products since 1994/5.

However there is some company restructuring here and VX is not mainstream in the UK where we are based.
We use VX for its fairly good freeform surfacing tools for some work and its run of the mill tools for small non aesthetic work.

The argument of the new management is that there are 'probably' few contractors we could pull in at busy times to help with extra work. Thus SW would add flexibility here.
They are probably correct.

However we are experienced users of the product so no new learning curve.
I am not sure if there is a swap out, run side by side or suck it and see scenario being played out.

My gut feeling and this is far from experience is that SW may be easier for prismatic mechanical work and vx although not easy will deliver better freeform editable designs re surfacing.

Ignore personal issues of experienced vx users being redundant, what if any arguements/comparisons can be made between the products?

I am sure some of the answers may make VX wince, but on the other hand I am positive about VX.

Has anyone any feedback that the moderators will allow?
My Vendor is putting together some information for me.

Your thoughts are needed!!!

Kevin

Message 2 of 8

22-05-2008 05:20 . pm | View his/her posts only
MIB, I use both and more besides. Give me a call on 01743 231661 or kevin at kqd.co.uk - I'd rather not get into the pros and cons on a VX forum but suffice to say there are a few others who use both as well and at the end of the day it boils down to the work you do.

Robert

Message 3 of 8

26-05-2008 02:47 . pm | View his/her posts only
I would like to hear from other forum contributors on this subject.

What do you love about VX that keeps you from jumping "lemming-like" onto the SolidWorks bandwagon (sorry 'bout the mixed metaphores but I'm jet-lagged and it's early moring in OZ)

thanks in advance.

Steve

Message 4 of 8

27-05-2008 03:23 . pm | View his/her posts only
For me, the pros of switching to Solidworks would be:

1.) Better assemblys.
2.) More compatible(the majority of our customers & suppliers use SWX).
3.) More/better translators(besides IGES, VX beats SWX hands down on IGES).

Cons

1.) Price/Bang for the buck.
2.) More cumbersome to use
3.) Free form surfacing isn't nearly as good.

If I were to switch to anything today, it would be Solidedge, or Unigraphics, with the new "Synchronous" stuff. It looks VERY cool. But who knows if the "Synchronous" stuff works beyond demo world.

Kevin

Message 5 of 8

28-05-2008 03:37 . pm | View his/her posts only
OK as a user of both I'll pitch in and say - and bear in mind these are my opinions only:

SW vs VX

Pros (of SW over VX)

1. Sketcher in SW is better for the way I work - more reliable, more consistent, and it has offset constraints which I use all the time.
2. Drawings in SW are better - faster, better quality output, more reliable.
3. History in SW is far more robust - and when things to go astray it is easy to repair (to be honest I have never found VX history to be robust and when it goes it goes).
4. Surfacing in SW is easier to use - OK this is my opinion so flame away - but with SW 2007 and SW 2008 the boundary and fill surfacing is top notch and very easy to use.

Pros of VX or SW

1. Value for money and localised support - UK with Akela - no problems - SW is rip off priced anywhere outside the USA
2. Point cloud handling - well SW just doesn't!
3. File format - I like the single VX file format with multiple files within the file - just makes life easier
4. Feature modelling flexibility - you can edit a feature and change the type of feature - eg - extrudes can be made cuts

This might seem like an odd list but it comes from the type of work I do. I have to also agree with Steve - doing any kind of assembly work is easier in SW - the mating system is more mature and the methodology of creating parts in situ is also simpler. I would take issue though with the thought that surfacing in SolidWorks is inferior - that is not my experience in the most recent releases. I'm struggling to think of a tool that VX has for surfacing that I couldn't replicate in SolidWorks 2008 for what I would term typical ID type work.

There is one more HUGE factor in SolidWorks favour - E Drawings. These are the defacto communication tool with most customers now. Only way to get VX to do this is to import the file into SW.....

As for other intangibles - well SolidWorks is as stable (or unstable) as VX (in that both crash), but VX recovers better. VX has the excellent thread tool but it is a 2 minute job to replicate in SW now. Summer students all know SolidWorks, most haven't even heard of VX. Updating VX is A LOT easier than SolidWorks! With VX you get the whole app in about 200MB, with SW each update is about 2GB. Sheet metal is a lot better in SW. VX runs better on a Mac!

cutter

Message 6 of 8

06-06-2008 05:22 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi all, I have a lot of trouble doing what I think should be simple sheet metal pans. Please see the attached file. Am I trying to do in VX something I should be doing in another program?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 7 of 8

06-06-2008 07:45 . am | View his/her posts only

Hi cutter

VX's Sheet Metal tools are powerful and serve most Users who are not necessarily producing sheet metal work as their main function. It's good for defining support brackets and similar folded structures. It does not support things like ducting and other shapes that are complex from a development perspective. The two models in your uploaded file work OK, fold/un-fold well. You might have found it easier to model them with the general modeling tools and then add the sheet material attributes later.

warren

Message 8 of 8

15-12-2008 02:07 . pm | View his/her posts only
Solid works IS everywhere so you can find drivers real quick. Wether or not they actually know what they're doing is a different question.

If you are frequently hiring contractors I can see it making sense if you do that a lot. But does the boss want to pay for ALL OF YOU to learn the new stuff, or one contractor (who you can offload projects to again when he is up to speed) to learn VX? My shop, I would rather pay one contractor to learn my existing methods then force all my employees to learn what the contractor knows AND buy 10s of thousands of new software. Why restructure existing procedures to satisfy a person that doesn't even work for you? And don't get me started about updating legacy drawings

But then again. he's the boss and writing the check.

See also