CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Cool visibility trick RAVE - new to me

Cool visibility trick RAVE - new to me

Paul

Message 1 of 7

Cool visibility trick RAVE - new to me
18-08-2008 12:57 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi all,
just discovered another cool trick with Swap All. Maybe yo'all know this anyway.
I am doing a revolve cut on two bodies in the same part with the same sketch but wish to keep them as seperate shapes for now. So I do the first revolve cut with one body blanked. I Swap All and then repick the sketch from the History tree as normal. However, I cannot pick the axis I want from this previoulsy used sketch, so in mid form I Swap All and select a line them Swap All again and carry on without leaving the revolve form. The cut works great.
For me the ability to swap visibility whilst in mid form is very usefull and means I no longer have to be so carefull what I blank out. Works with revolve, not sure about anything else.
Cheers (V13.55)

Mike

Message 2 of 7

22-08-2008 10:55 . am | View his/her posts only
Paul,

I like your discovery. This type of open discussion always leads to new knowledge. LIKE...you mentioned you wanted to cut two shapes at the same time but keep them separate. See the EDIT > Preferences. Uncheck the option - Merge shapes before cut. Now you can really cut both at the same time.

Paul

Message 3 of 7

25-08-2008 03:05 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Mike,
OK and thnaks. Finally I understand what the 'merge shapes' preference means!

Cheers

Paul

Message 4 of 7

25-09-2008 07:20 . pm | View his/her posts only
A further TIP for Traces in Sketcher.

After you have done a Swap All, which leaves just the Trace visible, Inquire Gaps will check the Trace. Useful when you are convinced the Trace is complete but VX isn't and it doesn't autoclose.

Remember to Unbalnk or Swap all again before you leave the sketch tho!

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 7

26-09-2008 04:18 . am | View his/her posts only

Have you an example where Trace wasn't right about there being a gap? Of course the profile can be an un-closed shape, so there has to be one gap in that case.

Paul

Message 6 of 7

26-09-2008 04:19 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,
I have experienced this a number of times. One yesterday infact. I did exactly as explained and the subsequent extrude was sound yet teh trace would not close on it's own.

Usually there is some level of reference geometry present.

The process where a trace is used is a bit transient... By that I mean they are a bit like leprechauns, they can be seen, but are not easy to catch and send around the world. No sketch history so no undo redo option etc.

If I find a simple enough example that I can reproduce and package I will send it to you.

With the technique for checking avialalbe it is not a problem, more of an annoyance.

What is annoying is the dimension tools trying to pick trace elements then report and invalid line or point.

Cheers

Mike

Message 7 of 7

27-03-2009 06:54 . am | View his/her posts only

What is annoying is the dimension tools trying to pick trace elements then report and invalid line or point.

I hope you have already seen this for yourself but this is fixed in V14.00

Just a gentle reminder: I am available by email or skype to report problems.
See also