CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > New VX Show-n-Tell

New VX Show-n-Tell

ChrisWard2k2

Message 1 of 28

New VX Show-n-Tell
25-09-2008 11:12 . am | View his/her posts only

The first series of VX Show-n-Tell are available on the VX Website:

http://www.vx.com/showntell.cfm#showntell

Show-n-Tell runs right inside VX and is compatible with VX v13.65 and above.

Notes

Save each Show-n-Tell zip file download in it's own folder, extract the zip file;

Launch VX. Via File-Open, browse to a Show-n-Tell folder. Set the file type filter to ".vxs". Pick the .vxs file that is in the folder.

Away you go!

Paul

Message 2 of 28

25-09-2008 04:50 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,
do you guys want feed back on any of these? Well here's some anyway.

For instance, when I added the cylinder, page 5, SnT Modelling 1, the clues did not direct me to ADD the shape so that when I went to fillet it didn't look like the example. So explicit instuctions are required.

Also, why not introduce tips section e.g. ',,' will produce the 0,0,0 origin input, Middle click in model space to confirm and entry, Middle click will use the default even though the input display shows the mouse position for a command. Middle click to repeat a command etc. as part of the modelling experience.

I don't think this is overload, as people are at the learning stage for this. If it doesn't turn out right, they can go back and read again.

So this means some tips on what to do if it goes wrong as well. Simp[ly going backwards in the slide show doesn't undo the modelling - perhaps it should.

For us older users, how about a SnT on how to use Layers (I don't mean chickens either)

Otherwise looking good. Very cunning too.

Cheers

cutter

Message 3 of 28

25-09-2008 06:13 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Chris, I think you guys are on the right track here.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 28

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 28

26-09-2008 06:27 . am | View his/her posts only

Hello Mudcrab

Of course feedback is welcome - I will pass on your comments to the authors.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 28

26-09-2008 06:38 . am | View his/her posts only

...Just noticed the comment about a Show-n-Tell for Layers. Tricky area because as an Object-Orientated program (where a bolt is a bolt etc), Layer Management should be unnecessary. This is very important because human beings find it difficult to stick to their own carefully planned Layer Management scheme and thus inevitably waste way too many man hours working in this way. I made a small fortune in the aircraft industry providing QA programs just for the purpose of checking Layer Management. VX does of course support Layer Management, not least because you can inherit Layer Management from imported files. So, if there is to be a Show-N-Tell, the first one should be on how to work without Layers

Mike

Message 7 of 28

03-10-2008 04:20 . pm | View his/her posts only
I made a comment to the author about the instruction to insert a primitive cylinder. He didn't want to complicate the instruction because VX should automatically be set to Add for the second shape. I agree, it is a necessary setting especially if that second operation were a remove.

In 13.70, the tutorials are going to be conveniently located on the HELP pulldown along with the QUICK TIPS and HIGHLIGHTS

Paul

Message 8 of 28

05-10-2008 04:45 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Mike,
I think the real challenge with SnT is that the user has full access to 'screwup ware' e.g. VX . Like an F1 car, it is a beautiful thing in experienced hands but a nightmare for the ignorant.

Instructions cannot have gaps. Assuming a setting is loose. This is 'training ware' to help users learn the tools, not just the SnT object.
Most people have no interest in building meaningless objects that are presented in the tutorial. They want to do their own work. The only reason for doing the tutorial is to learn the software. Hence the more software info, the better IMO.

There also needs to be a clear path back to the start condition. For instance, it took me a while to figure out how to exit SnT. I couldn't find any info on the correct method.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if it is screwable, users will do it. Even experienced ones who don't always read ALL the instructions.

FYI: SnT Assembly page 7 says to Select Insert Component, when it should be Align Component

Cheers

Mike

Message 9 of 28

06-10-2008 09:27 . am | View his/her posts only

Instructions cannot have gaps.
You will get no argument from me. ADD is being added. I hope the files on the internet will be updated this week. I found other issues like a hard coded file name, the wrong command on the Assembly tutorial, several issues in Modeling.

Robert

Message 10 of 28

07-10-2008 12:58 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Paul,

great commentary... very, very welcome.

thanks for the support and loyalty.

Paul

Message 11 of 28

07-10-2008 04:28 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Bob and Mike,
here is a link to a pic by Ralph Grabowski at a recent SolidWorks world event where journos where at work sations set up with SW2009. Ralphs blog comments:
SW World journos thinking HARD...

Learning What's New in SolidWorks 2009

The classroom uses Dell M6300 powerhouse notebook computers with huge 17"
screens. (As part of the tuition, students receive their own notebook
computer loaded with software, including SolidWorks.)

But I was disappointed, for this session was not "learning to use
SolidWorks" but "Try out what's new in 2009." The result was frustration.
Journalists, who tend to not know SolidWorks, were in over their heads;
bloggers, who live and breathe SolidWorks, were bored, for they already
knew the software.

At one point, the instructor encouraged us to zoom and pan the SpeedPack
model. "You all know how to zoom and pan, right?" he assumed. Frustrated,
I yelled out, "NO!" In photos I took in the classroom, I noticed later how
many people sat in front of the M6300s with a hand on their mouth. The
universal symbol for concentrated puzzlement, perhaps?

Interesting that it's more about people than 'stuff'.

Source: http://www.upfrontezine.com An interesting CAD newsletter t osubscribe to.

All the best

Mike

Message 12 of 28

25-06-2009 08:04 . am | View his/her posts only
I would like to resurrect this thread. There have been a lot of changes to the initial 4 Show-N-Tell lessons as well as a lot of new lessons. I would like to know what you think of these training lessons from the percpective of a new user. I know that is a stretch for most of you that contribute here but a lot of work is going into this technology.
One thing that has been added to the software recently is the ability to add a screen shot of the icon you are being instructed to use. So with that in mind and looking at this like you were a new user, please give me some feedback.

Paul

Message 13 of 28

25-06-2009 05:17 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Mike,
apart from the 4 that ship with the install, where are all the 'others'?

Cheers
Paul

OldForumPost

Message 14 of 28

25-06-2009 05:30 . pm | View his/her posts only
They can be found on VX.com
There is a Learn VX link on the right hand menu
Also a Learning Center sub menu under the support menu on the web.

Maybe Mike Lynch and see about getting links to various show-n-tells added to the knowledge base VXCADBase.

I hope you find this helpful.

I think it would make sense to add a Learning Center Link to the Show-n-Tell Menu in VX or a More... link that takes the user to the learning center.

Hope this helps.

Jarrod.

Paul

Message 15 of 28

25-06-2009 10:41 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thanks Jarrod,

Location is a bit obscure considering all the hoopla.
There should definitely be a link from the SnT menu in the program as a minimum.
I am sure you can see other obvious places Links could exist - why not have multiple doorways.
Why not also have little video trailers made by screen cam'ing with audio (time lapse) the step through of the completed module minus the SnT elements.
I just did the seat SnT and learnt some stuff I hadn't used before.
Access to SnT should be VERY obvious from the home page.
And where have all the previous intro/training videos gone? Somewhere other than the learning Centre?

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 16 of 28

26-06-2009 04:08 . am | View his/her posts only
Hello Mudcrab

There is a link on the Training Center home page to the video tutorials.

It takes you to here: http://www.vx.com/training.cfm

There are also cross-links between the web pages, they are not obvious but the info titles (see screenshot) are also links.

OldForumPost

Message 17 of 28

26-06-2009 08:15 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Paul,

"Video trailers for each tutorial" - great idea. Can't say when it will be implemented.

I am glad that you found the seat tutorial helpful. Even the simple Connecting Rod has a few little tricks in it i think you will like.

Jarrod.

Paul

Message 18 of 28

26-06-2009 02:36 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Guys,
Once at the learning centre it is easy to figure out where to go.

What befuzzles me is that if you had heard of SnT via a media release etc, then went to the VX homepage you'd have no idea you where at the right place.

Where is the SnT flashing lights sign AND the video of how it works?
Not everyone want so install VX to see SnT.
Trapping critters(here we go again) requires enticing baits. I reckon SnT is one of these.

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 19 of 28

27-06-2009 08:55 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Mudcrab

...that's true, there is no sign of Show n Tell on our Home Page, not even in the Menus.

OldForumPost

Message 20 of 28

27-06-2009 09:02 . pm | View his/her posts only
Is Learn VX on the right hand menu too vague?

My thinking was that when I look for training material I normally look in support or something general like Learn VX. I was not certain that Show-n-Tell would mean enough to the prospect browsing our site, but "Learn VX" would.

Jarrod.

Paul

Message 21 of 28

27-06-2009 10:31 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Jarrod,
I think SnT is a brand thing. Whilst the name is not unique, VX is first in the category. It should be everywhere as VX Shown-n-Tell otherwise it risks getting sidelined as a kids thing. Personally, I'd dump the green space instructor logo and put the VX logo there.
I mentioned multiple links and I think Chris interpreted that differently to what I meant.
I was suggesting that whilst brevity in a program is good, richness in a website in required. in other words, even on the same page I could have several links taking me to roughly the same place. Newbie visitors are not locked in and you have GRAB their attention very quickly. They are information HUNGRY.

e.g.
Several link tabs on the home page all taking you to the learning centre. It needs to be rich experince once you are there
Learning VX,
Training Materials
SnTs
Demos
Videos
Discover the Amazing World of VX
7 Reasons why you'll love VX
etc. etc.

I had to really look for the videos which seems odd as there is plenty of real estate on the page for decent link buttons.

When I was looking for a CAD package a few years ago I looked at the all the offerings with hybrid or good surface ability. Several things became apparent.
Most sites where very arty and scant on info.
You gad to register to find out any thing decent.
You could never figure out the price range or what it cost to use them year in year out.
How often did updates occur?
Why where the USPs'.
How did the interface work and how easy was it to learn.
How easy was it to communicate about a specific question and how quickly was the reply delivered. FYI VX won out because the answer to a very specific question was answered with cool screen can vid showing how easily my problem was solved and a great offer.

Galleries are great but most are dishonest...they had been worked on with programs other than the one I was investigating. (Mostly rendering) I wanted clues as to how the items had been produced with the software. (Hence the video trailer idea)

So Directness and Richness are vital.

Just some other observations:

? All VX training material is copyright protected. Printing more than one copy for personal use is prohibited.
Really / Why? Does anyone really care if someone prints lots of copies? I'd be delighted wouldn't you?

Why two pages for Videos - one to Watch and one to Download. Why not an option at each Video - Watch or Download and How come no thumbnails with them.

Hope you have a great week.
Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 22 of 28

28-06-2009 09:41 . am | View his/her posts only
Given that we publicize VX Show n Tell, I think it makes sense to have a link on the home page.

Robert

Message 23 of 28

02-07-2009 01:50 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the great suggestions.

I've started a dialogue with Jarrod to incorporate some of your suggestions.

Paul

Message 24 of 28

21-07-2009 04:28 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Team VX,
being a VX devotee, I sometimes search to see what is new....
It occurs to me that there is a dearth of VX presence in some very free places. e.g Youtube, MetCafe etc. - only one VX video of a morph and it is real time(no one else does that and publishes it), and poor quality video in silent mode.

Why not publish all the existing VX videos on Utube? I'd make sure they had a date stamp on them so a view could see it was made 3 years ago etc. so that they dont get the impression it is new. IMO publish date needs to be evident on video so that one can assess its 'moderness'.

Videos could be any parts or projects. Just screen cam a step through and provide a bit of dialogue briefly explaining what is going on. The need to be snappy. approx 1 to 2 mins max.

The real advantage is that, with the right name, Google will bring up VX when folks search 3D CAD, CAD CAM, etc.

Cheers

Paul

Message 25 of 28

21-07-2009 04:31 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi VX team,
re the Help Wiki idea:
Here is a another interesting example along the same vein.

Blender 3D

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 26 of 28

22-07-2009 03:58 . am | View his/her posts only
Interesting suggestions Mudcrab, thank you.

Paul

Message 27 of 28

28-07-2009 03:10 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Team VX,
FYI here is a link to a CAD info site which has an almost exhaustive list of CAD vendors.
CadInfo
I suggest you click on the CAD systems link and try and find VX. Approx pages 14-15.
almost every 2 bit player is listed.... I am presuming the list does not cost.
How does one actually get left off the list???

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 28 of 28

28-07-2009 04:31 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Mudcrab

That site is in Australia, first time I have ever seen it. Looks interesting.
See also