CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Tool library tool types and feeds and speeds

Tool library tool types and feeds and speeds

cutter

Message 1 of 11

Tool library tool types and feeds and speeds
30-10-2008 08:53 . am | View his/her posts only
Talking with Ray today about setting up a cam plan for an npt 1/4 - 18 pipe tap threading operation brought to mind once again the lack of various tool types and shapes available in the VX tool library. He mentioned that I was the only one to his knowledge that had complained about this and so I am here on the forum to try to find out from the few of you that show up here if you are satified with the tool types and library. I think of surfcam where they have all this stuff and feeds and speeds to go with it along with hss, carbide, coated carbide etc in the feeds and speeds parameters. Yes I know feeds and speeds are a theoretical ideal and may not apply in the real world but it is a place to start and I can tweak it at the mill up or down to dial in for future cuts. And indeed it is this way in most every cam program I have seen. So I am thinking to my self, am I really the only VX subscriber who wishes to see improvements in this area? Perhaps the rest of you would chime in on this. I do know one thing for sure, if nobody says anything there will be no change and if only one person wants it there will be no change so if comprehensive tool types, speeds and feeds and libraries are of benefit to you you had better start letting VX know this is so.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 11

30-10-2008 03:37 . pm | View his/her posts only

Cutter, I think Ray was referring to the NPT taps, for which there has not been a demand. You raised a PCR about them and in response I have made a generic VX NPT library for you, complete with all the associated Tap drills and Centers, plus a short movie on how to use it.

With regards to the overall tool library and tool types available, other customers do want improvements and we are making those improvements right now for v14. Ray has made an important contribution to this effort.

For customers that want "science based" feeds and speeds, our VX Reseller in the Netherlands, 4CCCC, offer a program that delivers this and it outputs the data in a format specifically compatible with VX.

cutter

Message 3 of 11

31-10-2008 04:50 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Chris, Good to hear that and I guess I must live in a wierd little machining world where I get the stuff others don't. For some reason I thought that water cooled molds would have created a demand for pipe taps. By the way, saw your name attached to a pending solution on 4axis rotary indexing and I appreciate your effort towards the fix and the tap help. Went to the 4CCCC site and could not find the info on feeds and speeds so could you point me in the right direction? Ray and I were also talking about nurbs based 3x milling vs stl based quick milling. My mill at times over runs it's ability process data and this shows up especialy in arcs at 90ipm and up. And I notice that the amount of data required to cut a part in quickmill is a much larger file than from similar parts cut with other programs. So here is my question, am I better off using 3x milling where possible to acheive the faster travel speeds smaller file sizes create?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 11

31-10-2008 05:40 . am | View his/her posts only
Ray is better qualified to judge. I would say that it is best not to mix the two types of approach (3x Nurbs and QuickMill). Concerning the file size handling, it would obviously be nice if the CNC could be upgraded to handle bigger files but I wonder if it is practical to output three or four files for the job instead of one big one?

OldForumPost

Message 5 of 11

04-11-2009 04:20 . pm | View his/her posts only
hello Cutter,

The program that Chris is referring to is a tool management system that is on the Dutch market.
This system outputs the tool info, like name, dimensions, ID number and speed/feed info and cooling options in .csv format.
Chris wrote a VXDal program to read the .csv data into vx by selecting the cam operation in the tree and selecting the reqiured tool in the VXDal window

Without the management system one could build a tool library with these .csv files and use the VXDal progam to assign them to the operations
One of our customers, a medium large tool shop is very happy with it
If you are inrerested, we can provide a sample .csv and the VXDal program from Chris

Regards,
luurt Burema
4cccc
luurt@4cccc.nl

cutter

Message 6 of 11

08-11-2009 06:06 . am | View his/her posts only
Edwin,
Yes I am interested. fieldweld@att.net

OldForumPost

Message 7 of 11

27-12-2009 05:13 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hello Cutter,
Sorry for the late reply.
Haven't been on the forum lately
I have attached the VXDal program and a few sample .csv files
Every tool has its own .csv file

The pdf file that comes with the program gives a detailed overview of the supported variables and naming conventions.

Luurt

cutter

Message 8 of 11

19-01-2010 08:36 . am | View his/her posts only
Edwin,
I am looking for the pdf on this macro and not finding it anywhere. Could you give me a site to find it at?

cutter

Message 9 of 11

19-01-2010 08:58 . am | View his/her posts only
Latest tool problem and it is a big one. I wish to use a single point thread mill and the provided library with VX does not have these. To top it off the library also does not have some common thread sizes even if I did want to use a multi thread threadmill. I need to cut some 9TPI threads and I am in tool land limbo again on a part I needed to cut tomorrow.

This is a big time deal for me as next month I will be starting to manufacture prototypes for a line of equipment various parts of which will require thread milling of thread types and sizes not in the VX library. I have to do this and so does my cam program. I really hope there is an answer here. This goes right back to the fundamental problem of good comprehensive tool libraries and strategies being very important to users but don't for some reason seem to be important to whoever or whatever dictates what developement works on.

If there is no answer here the problem becomes one of I can't manufacture this part with VX. Thread milling was first introduced I believe at least as early as 1992 so as a standard and accepted method of milling strategy a good and comprehensive tool library and accompanying strategies for thread milling should be a part of any decent or better cam program.

OK, there is an update to this. Evidently you can fill out the parameters in the tool type form to match what you want to do. You can't save this as a new tool for future use and you have to remember that the 3/8-20 named tool is actualy a 7/8-9 but it does generate a toolpath.

OldForumPost

Message 10 of 11

19-01-2010 09:23 . am | View his/her posts only
sorry, it did not come with the last version, I'll send it by mail
Luurt

OldForumPost

Message 11 of 11

19-01-2010 11:27 . am | View his/her posts only
You can create and save a new tool to your existing library by clicking on new in the tool manager. Name and create your tool and then hit the Add Tool To Library button. This will add it to the current tool library that you have open.

You can also make your own library to keep the tools you create organized and easier to find.

To create your own tool library open your VX resource file: Documents and Settings VXCorpUser-14.20 esource file TOOLS_METRIC_AND_INCH.VX (This is the default location)

Create a new CAM plan and name it according to the tools you are going to put in the file. (The name of the CAM plan will be the name of your tool library)

Right click on the screen and choose tool manager.
In the tool Manager click new, then give your tool a name and add the dimensions for your new tool. Click ok when youre done.
Save the file. You dont need to add any operations just create the tool and then save.

When you are in your CAM plan and want to use that tool library you can go to the tool manager and click on the file symbol in the right top corner . It will open your : Documents and Settings VXCorpUser-14.20 esource file and you can choose the library you just created and hit okay. It will list all the tools youve created in that CAM plan .

-----------------
Gene Alonzo
See also