CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Filter ideas... what do you think?

Filter ideas... what do you think?

Paul

Message 1 of 5

Filter ideas... what do you think?
29-06-2009 10:09 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Guys,
I use the pick filter ALL the time. It takes quite lot of clicks to use it as it stands. Plus it takes your focus away from the centre stage. Added up over the day this is a lot of activity to control the cursor.

IDEA: Filter should be on RMB . The RMB Window could have a second Column of choices for filtering, then ALL filtering could be RMB driven. Perhaps limit the descriptions to 4 characters to keep it as small as possible.

Comments:
Icons for filters are too complex- at least any I have seen - stick with text.
Depressed buttons with multiple selection would be ideal.

I like the F8 approach too but would prefer the toggle key to be more accessible e.g. space bar. Space bar is only used in dialogue boxes so would this be a good graphics use?

Actually just had another play in v14 -seems the F8 works a lot better than in 13.95 so maybe I am jumping the gun (oops).

Cheers
Paul

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 5

30-06-2009 06:53 . am | View his/her posts only
Hello Mudcrab

There is a PCR in which I think is worth pursuing, and that is to change the style of the 3D Filter such that it is more akin to the 2D Layout filter. I like to keep the filter window on screen (on top of the toolbars at the moment, but auto-integrated into the Manager would be sweet) so that I can see the settings - if it were on the RMB, then I think you could end up with too many RMB clicks.

Mike

Message 3 of 5

30-06-2009 08:44 . am | View his/her posts only
I don't use a lot of the shortcuts to commands. I think I have maxxed out the number of creases allowed in any one brain, but Shift- RMB also brings up the filter. I still use the F2 key to dynamic rotate and pan, ( even though it is not necessary anymore ) so my left hand is always on the keyboard anyway.

Paul

Message 4 of 5

30-06-2009 05:39 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Mike and thanks,

you are absolutely right. Shift-RMB does bring it up in Focus. I will have to retrain myself.
I actually knew that but do not use it when I should use it all the time.

I wonder it it is possible to work on improving the ease of use by making the click target bigger but the window smaller?
too many computer click targets are too small when they dont need to be. IMHO Click boxes with descriptors are dinosaurs and should be banned.

E.g. two columns of named buttons which toggle on or off and dump the tick boxes.
Then if we could have multi select it would be really close to ideal.

The only other place I can see it could be docked if one was prepared to give up the real estate is vertically down the history border. However this suggests either transparent buttons or icons (which are not problematic to learn)

In the mean time I'll practice the Shift RMB.

Chris, could you put me on that Filter PCR list.

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 5

01-07-2009 01:08 . am | View his/her posts only
Hello Mudcrab

too many computer click targets are too small

Generally this is an area where VX excels. I have used many a program where the icons are just too small, making the graphic unintelligible too.

From time to time I hear from customers about accuracy of pick. There are two factors. Firstly, the accuracy of the mouse itself. For CAD, a precision device makes a difference (which is why the gamers also love them). In VX Config, Display Tab, you can select the pick aperture size, a virtual area at the cursor point.

The tick-box option style is ubiquitous, a "shopping list" style readily understandable across all languages. You will find it in virtually all types of software, so it is popular with the development community at least. Personally, I think tick-boxes serve their purpose well.
See also