CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Do you love fillets?

Do you love fillets?

Paul

Message 1 of 15

Do you love fillets?
22-07-2009 12:51 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Team,
I continue to find filleting very frustrating.

Some times even the simplest fillets refuse.

Two issues seem to stop filleting in its tracks.

#1 Tangency runouts.

#2 Adjacent end faces are multi planar. e.g. may be made up of two faces with a join.

Pic attached is indicative of an apparently very simple fillet that complety fails regardless of size, edge hold etc.

Indication if reason for failure is a minimum. Ability to solve many more fillet end situations is a requirement.

Can you please indicate if the fillet engine is being improved further?
We could have a very large gallery of whacky failed fillets! or am I the only one?

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 15

22-07-2009 04:37 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Mudcrab

There is a dedicated development team working only on the fillet engine, 100% of their time.

Cannot tell anything from the screenshot about the underlying geometry, but the preview looks as though it means business.

If a fillet fails, it's always a good idea to accept the offer of a partial result, because that is there first and foremost to show you what is wrong.

The better the model, the greater the chance of filleting success. Do you really have two faces that join yet they are on the same plane? Usually VX will solve these into a single planar face, so if you have two, that might actually be the source of your problem.

We can never have enough sample files of Shapes that need to be filleted but fail. If anyone hits a fillet problem, please use "Save-As" to create a sample file for us. Erase all un-related Root Objects and in the model concerned, delete everything except the region to be filleted. Use the fabulous new v14 text Balloons to indicate exactly what you are trying to achieve.

Mike

Message 3 of 15

22-07-2009 08:29 . am | View his/her posts only
Paul,

Please sent that file. I can built something that looks like yours but it will fillet.

Paul

Message 4 of 15

22-07-2009 03:13 . pm | View his/her posts only
OK, good to hear.
From now on I will send as many examples as I come across.
Any particular email address/recipient?

Before I quit on a fillet I check:
    - model analysis to see if there are any edges, loops, opens etc.
    - adjacent surface continuity.
    - pick continuity
    - try different fillet orders
    - See the partial result and look for size related intangency.
    - try both smaller and larger fillets
    - go for walk
    - trawl sketches for aberrations
    - say lots of bad things about VX
    - harass Chris.

FYI, in the pictured instance, both ends had identical pairs of aligned faces (0.0000deg curvature continuity). Merging faces both ends before doing the fillet solved it. You will be getting a copy.

It seems to me that there are many reasons fillets fail. Certainly the fillet engine knows when it fails.
Is it possible to categorise the failures and provide meaningful error messages so we can get some idea of what to look for?

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 15

22-07-2009 04:02 . pm | View his/her posts only

Hi Mudcrab

Well, that's a good list!

If you send the files to your Reseller, they can raise a PCR for each.

Mike

Message 6 of 15

22-07-2009 04:33 . pm | View his/her posts only
Or you can send it directly to me. support@vx.com attn: Mike

Paul

Message 7 of 15

22-07-2009 06:04 . pm | View his/her posts only

Originally posted by: ChrisW
Hi Mudcrab

Well, that's a good list!.

Especially the last check eh!

Paul

Message 8 of 15

27-07-2009 10:10 . am | View his/her posts only
We have been unsupported by VX for several years. Filleting is a huge issue; it's disappointing that there hasn't been dramatic headway made in the 2 major releases that we have been unsupported.

To me it seems that if something can hilight that it should be able to fall in.

I'm still hoping that the breakthrough is not far away.

Mike

Message 9 of 15

27-07-2009 12:47 . pm | View his/her posts only
Paulverisor,

I understand your frustration but no one has ever gone unsupported. You may have decided not to pay maintenance but your access to the VX Support web page and the USER Forum speaks to the fact that we still support you. I will look back at your PCRs and see where we stand on your issues.

Paul

Message 10 of 15

27-07-2009 04:01 . pm | View his/her posts only
Mike,

When I say "unsupported" I totally mean that we have not paid for support in several years.

I appreciate that I can still post on this forum. I do check in on this forum typically after I get a new product announcement from you. Hopefully my comment in regards to filleting would be fully taken as a challenge. If you successfully release a product that handles real world filleting it can only benefit your company, as your sales would have to take off as a result.

Thank you for looking at an old PCR that I submitted. That was worked on many versions ago. If this doesn't get you any closer to solving the ultimate filleting solution you have my blessing to drop it.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 11 of 15

29-07-2009 05:14 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Paulverisor

One area where there has been a quantum leap in v14, which I know affects you, is STEP import/export. VX is now good at STEP, it handles both AP203 and AP214(Automotive). VX also now has an excellent Parasolids translator.

Steve

Message 12 of 15

29-07-2009 06:53 . am | View his/her posts only

Hi Paulverisor

One area where there has been a quantum leap in v14, which I know affects you, is STEP import/export. VX is now good at STEP, it handles both AP203 and AP214(Automotive). VX also now has an excellent Parasolids translator.

That ONE feature alone was enough to get us to up maintenance.

Paul

Message 13 of 15

29-07-2009 08:09 . am | View his/her posts only

Hi Paulverisor

That is good to know. We don't deal with STEP a lot, but when we do it has been quite an ordeal. Thanks for this information.

Steve

Message 14 of 15

29-07-2009 08:26 . am | View his/her posts only
It works a bazillion times better than it used to. Especially on assemblies. No longer do ALL the ejector pins and and any other cylindrical objects come in smack dab in the center of the model. They actually keep their assembly positions!

Paul

Message 15 of 15

11-08-2009 03:20 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,
this was a fillets thread, yet you hijacked it to a STEP tread.... [sic] ... naughty.
See also