CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Nvidia Settings for VX?

Nvidia Settings for VX?

Steve

Message 1 of 9

Nvidia Settings for VX?
11-08-2009 04:25 . am | View his/her posts only
I've been having a few issues with VX crashing now and then, and think it has more to do with graphics driver/setting than anything else. This seems to happen occasionally when placing a view in to a sheet.

So my question is, what are the optimal setting for an Nvidia card to work with VX?

Mike

Message 2 of 9

11-08-2009 11:14 . am | View his/her posts only
Steve,

I have forwarded your comments to development. I know they are going to ask what card do you have, what driver, what OS, what VX version? Why do you think it is graphics related? I have never heard of anyone at VX suggesting they make any changes to a graphics card to improve performance.

Steve

Message 3 of 9

11-08-2009 11:48 . am | View his/her posts only
I pretty sure for VX 14.0 They changed something when you preview a part when you're placing it in to a sheet. It's seems MUCH slower than 13.

I'm almost sure the bombing out is graphics related. It happens when an object 1st appears on the screen, like the preview for placing a part on sheet, OR what just happened to me 30 seconds ago... I placed a ready sketch arrow on a sketch, and boom... VX just disappears, no "Saving Edits", nothing. Just disappears.

I'm runing XP SP2, 32bit
Nvidia GeForce 880GT(WHQL Driver Version 6.14.11.9038 Dated 7/14/2009)
VX 14.05

Paul

Message 4 of 9

11-08-2009 03:16 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Mike,
FYI, I have been running V14.05 in demo mode and doing some exploratory sketches.
There is an issue where on adding a dimension, the sketch vanishes from the work area a manual zoom all refresh is required to get the sketch back. I am using stand alone sketch but it also happens in regular sketch mode.

The other issue is when I choose the print icon, the print dialogue comes up OK, but on print I get a hang and no output.

I have presumed print a screen isnot disabled in demo mode.

Like Steve, I am running a nVidia.
Relevant System specs:
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Processor a Main Circuit Board b3.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache, Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP45-DS4P
Bus Clock: 333 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F4 06/18/2008
VIDIA GeForce 8800 GT [Display adapter]
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (22.0"vis, s/n H9NP403278, April 2007)
Drives Memory Modules c,d
849.24 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
578.56 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
3328 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Printers
EPSON Stylus CX3900 Series on USB001
HP LaserJet 4Si on Laserjet_4Si
Microsoft Office Document Image Writer Driver on Microsoft Document Imaging Writer Port:
Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX:
Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:
Net-It-Now Driver on LPT1:
PrimoPDF on PrimoPort:

On an aside, if I was checking out the software and had these problems in demo mode software, I would look elsewhere for a solution. Roll on beta testers....

Cheers

Mike

Message 5 of 9

11-08-2009 04:37 . pm | View his/her posts only
We should probably move this thread to the CAD arena just to keep everyone honest.

Steve, We have uncovered a regression in the code when laying out views of a part with holes. Not sure at this point if it is with the actual holes or the centerlines. (probably doesn't matter to you) It doesn't make any difference if you turn off the centerline creation on the layout form or not. The part can have as few as one hole and it takes longer to develop the views. So it is not related to the preview but hole features. A cylinder or an imported IGES or (dare I say) STEP file will not have the same issue.

Paul, Your presumption is presumptuous. See page 4 of the Install Guide. Demo mode has no output. I guess we should issue a warning when you try to SAVE or PRINT or Export, instead of doing nothing or hanging. I had suggested that we do away with the demo mode option since you can get a 30 day license for free.

Paul

Message 6 of 9

11-08-2009 07:29 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Mike,
this is UI issue so is in the right place. Hanging is definitely an advanced UI problem. When it hangs, it cannot be used. Good logic eh?

OK. A message that output is disabled is DEFINITELY better than a hang 100% of the time. Splash screen/dialogue text would be handy location. AND eliminate the hangings.

I think the demo mode is good and should stay.
It allows a user to do expereimental stuff over time. My clients use demo mode to look at projects when I visit.
This very convenient as we can open then step through a file and show various issues - something viewer does not allow. The 'no output' limits the use.
Don't be in too much of a hurry to cripple 'demo' software so much people don't have it on their systems.
Noted the VX article in Global Spec Newsletter this morning. Good to see.

Page 4 - my bad - never read it.

I await your advice re the display issue.

Cheers

Mike

Message 7 of 9

12-08-2009 07:46 . am | View his/her posts only
Paul, let's try an experiment. Temporarily disable the "Enable view dragging" option on the Display tab of the config. I find myself getting my fingers crosses and accidentilly scroll/zoom/rotating the part off the screen. See if this may be the culprit.

By the way, Viewer does let you step thru the history. You also have all the Inquire tools under the pulldown.

Steve, the only way to solve the crashing is to send the offending file so we can duplicate the issue. I have already issued a couple of PCR about the slow view generation related to parts with holes/centerlines. But I have not seen the crashing. The crashing is probably random, right? On the parts that crash, do the histories play thru?

Steve

Message 8 of 9

12-08-2009 07:54 . am | View his/her posts only
Yup, it's random. And the files are usually HUGE. But if it does happen again, I'll send out files.
But yes, the view generation is WAY slower. I'll send some complex files tonight. Nearly 200 EJ Pins, so it's got a TON of holes thru the assembly.

Paul

Message 9 of 9

12-08-2009 09:06 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Mike,
thanks for the tips.

I have switched of various display attribs but no difference..

Adding a dimension to a circle causes the display to dump immediately.
Adding a dimension to a line only dumps when the confirm dimension is completed.
Stepping the dimension value up or down during input does not update the screen. Screen updates on edits OK.

Redraw does not recover the screen. Zoom does. Zoom all, scroll zoom, etc,

The XY symbols for the sketch axis are the only items present when the dump is occurring.
I can change the background colour whilst the dump is active and it does not restore anything.
FYI V13 is fine, the problem is with V14 only.
Sending you some screen shot separately.

Cheers
See also