CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > DWG problems again

DWG problems again

cutter

Message 1 of 6

DWG problems again
01-09-2009 08:12 . am | View his/her posts only
Having trouble with dwg's again. These are the same dwg files from 1999 to 2002 that I have been opening with VX with varying degrees of sucess from v 9 on. The latest version of problems create bad or missing dimensions or the recipient sees nothing but a black screen. This has happened where I have used VX to edit existing data in the BOM. 13 was getting fairly good but 14 seems a step backwards. I am not sure how much I care about this as I do have a good program that does accurate translations now but if developement is interested I will provide some of the files in question. They have had some of these before. Is anyone else having dificulties here?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 6

01-09-2009 10:16 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi cutter

It is worth exporting to lower-version DWG. Very few applications are totally up to date on the format (it is a moving target after all). So, try a range of versions and see if the recipient's system can handle a particular version better than the others. I would try DXF too as it describes the data in a simpler way.

Robert

Message 3 of 6

01-09-2009 01:20 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Dave,

We would like to have the files in question so that we can figure out how to make improvements.

Thanks in advance.

bobf

cutter

Message 4 of 6

02-09-2009 04:44 . am | View his/her posts only
Chris, any preferences here on DWG's that you have seen to be more successfull than others? I will try the DXF's also and see but that is another step in the process with potentialy hundreds of files I may have to work on.

Hi Bob. When time permits I will sit down and send some with screen captures of problems. This problem does not have the same urgency that it used to for me as SE opens them just fine and edits there are not a problem.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 6

02-09-2009 05:07 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi cutter

If another app (SE) can open them OK, then that does indicate that the other application may need an earlier version format. It might of course indicate that the other app can't handle DWG too well. Again, DXF should be favored, it is "more neutral". A lot depends on the actual drawing content and what the recipient needs from it - if that is geometry-only, say for 2D cutting work then R2.6 should be fine - blank any non-required entities before export. I would expect most DWG/DXF compatible apps to be able to accept R12 files, that version is a good start for detailed drawings.

On the VX free downloads web page there is a VX Dal program that can dumb-down a 2D Layout, then export it to both DWG and DXF in one go.

http://files.vx.com/ftproot/vxfiles/Public/macros/VxDAL_BatchExAcad_v1_6.zip

cutter

Message 6 of 6

02-09-2009 06:25 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thanks Chris, I will have a look.
See also