CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > VX HELP enhancements - beyond Wiki!

VX HELP enhancements - beyond Wiki!

Paul

Message 1 of 20

VX HELP enhancements - beyond Wiki!
15-09-2009 03:01 . pm | View his/her posts only
New thread for clarity...

I have previously suggested that he online Help should be a WIKI and a forum and repository for sample solutions, examples, videos etc.
So far I have not heard if any of this is possible, probable etc. But presuming it is What else can be done?

I figure for it to work, there would need to be some way that VX user community could be more closely connected with the Help support. So, embedded in VX Help, should the a sort of Messenger/Google News - capability that a user could activate. When activated, he/she would receive notifications of Help questions being placed. If there was one you could and wished to contribute to, you could go straight in and provide an answer. Who cares if a question gets multiple answers.
The best part about this is that the answers stick with the subject in Help and are always there.

Maybe the answers should be in a structured/database format e.g. Question, Text Answers, Video answers, model answers, screen shots and pick. Help links, WHY explanations, HOW explanations.
This would enable better searching and access and better information control.
Moderation could simply mean removing out of date or incorrect info, via some flagging options. When it gets say 3 negative flags, it's deleted. Positive flags based on helpfulness would raise its ranking in a search or the HELP order.

Contributors should be noted on the Help and they should receive feedback from other uses. Hwoever all this should be VERY easy to do and NOT require manual logging in etc..

So experienced uses who hardly ever use Help could be supporting it, newbies would be using it. Over time the support demand should reduce as the actual Help becomes bloated with all the answers.

The challenge is to provide immediacy, relevance and reduced information redundancy as happens now when an individual is supported.

Gotta do some work....

Cheers

Paul

Message 2 of 20

23-11-2009 04:47 . pm | View his/her posts only
OK, my own little thread....

Here is a link to an AutoCAD Help Wiki ACAD WIKI
Not sure just what is going on there actually...... nor are they! I am hopefull VX will be a LOT better than that!

Re the VX Wiki..... can some at VX tell me what is being done at present?

What will be done to take all the good teaching tips etc from the forum discussions into Wiki space?

What is the Vision for the Help Wiki?

Steve

Message 3 of 20

24-11-2009 06:27 . am | View his/her posts only
I LIKE the videos. But the rest of it seems really too busy to be helpful. Leave it to Autodesk to try and re-invent the wheel
Using something like mediwiki would be ideal. The online help is better than local/built in help files. They're always up to date.
IMHO, Videos are the way to go to convey more complex subjects. I don't think VX does this enough.

Paul

Message 4 of 20

10-12-2009 12:06 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Help crew,
I see some nice work in in adding example pics in Morph Help.
Are there going to be be any downloadable files? or SnT's.

I'd have thought you might have taken a couple of the forum examples, done a tidy up and put them up there.

I bit more fizz on the front page of the Wiki with an explanation of how and what you can do would be cool.

Are we going to see the technical forum merge into the Wiki any time soon?

Lets get the Wiki rocking

Cheers

Paul

Message 5 of 20

16-12-2009 02:16 . am | View his/her posts only
Hey guys, how do the spam crew add a topic unless they login? Thats taken some effort.
If the access to log in required VX to be open then that would slow em down. Then you can set it up so that if they spammed their VX license would destroy their PC! Sort of a landmine for spammers thing.

Do you want some more moderators that can delete junk????

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 20

16-12-2009 10:20 . am | View his/her posts only
Nice idea mudcrab but it isn't a person that is actually breaching the system, it's a program. The VX forum is not alone, thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of websites have been hit. Would be good if the FBI can could catch the perpetrators but chances are they are not on USA soil..........

Chris

Message 7 of 20

16-12-2009 11:46 . am | View his/her posts only
We're working on the spam issue.

Since opening the forum up, we've had to tweak some registration settings so we're still fine-tuning things to make it difficult for spammers but not impossible for legitimate users. We just changed some settings that should make things more difficult.

Like ChrisW said, these are scripted attacks, likely from infected computers, not actual human users. Our registration was allowing new users to post without actually being approved so that's how they were able to post new spam topics. We turned that off and have authentication measures in place now that will prevent that.

If you see anything that is obviously spam, click on the "Report this to a Moderator" link below the post and that will flag it for us.

We're keeping an extra close eye on things to try and stay on top of it.

Sorry to hijack the WIKI Thread with this. Back to the regurlarly scheduled discussion...

Paul

Message 8 of 20

16-03-2010 05:58 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Jarrod & Mike,
online Help used to have an add User comments option or am I getting confused?
If it did, why is it no longer available?

Is the VX Wiki/user contribution thing going anywhere? Right now there is a heading Wiki, but it's actually a no user contribution Help...

What are the plans?

Cheers

Mike

Message 9 of 20

17-03-2010 07:38 . am | View his/her posts only
I think I answered this for you in an email some time ago.

We have been taking a hit by spam bots trying to get access to any computer they can. This includes opening up the forum to the world. I think every living person in Afghanistan has tried to get a forum login...

If you have comments about the HELP please email them to documentation@vx.com

The wiki wiki wiki. Don't worry about the wiki.

Help us help you by purchasing a Software Update Plan.

Chris

Message 10 of 20

20-04-2010 11:39 . am | View his/her posts only
The current VX CadBase is internally driven as far as content goes. But, it is open for people to register and contribute but no one has. So that leads us to assume that user-contribution is not an important feature of the Help documentation at this point.

We are looking at options but VX user feedback and opinions would be helpful.

Paul

Message 11 of 20

20-04-2010 03:40 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Guys,
I registered as a 'writer'. However I could not figure out where the Help was for writers. In other words is was unclear to me just how it worked at all. So I gave up. Too hard. Too much time. Too limited.
Maybe thats was me.

My thinking is that technical questions - 'Those damn beads' for instance are really a HELP question. The question and the solution, along with any publicly approved models, could readily be part of the Help data base in the 'Example' section for relevant parts of the HElP, e.g one Example page for the beads, but links from say morphing, lofting and wrap sketch, wrap faces.
Then the HELP would contain real stuff, sample models (with Version Noted) and solutions. Yeah, some editing may be required, but under the heading User Examples one could be excused for imperfections.

I still find searching the VX Database it is hard getting search results unless the word is exact. For instance I know 'wrap' is in there in several places. So I search wrap and get Rib NetWork Feature as the first result.... So I open the result, do a Ctrl F search and get 0/0 results for wrap! Outstanding, how does it do that - how does Rib Network relate to Wrap.

If there is an explanation, I am sorry, it's too late the search was done. Google ruined it for everyone else and we know what a search should do, let alone Wikipedia where users can add content etc.

IMO the basics should be slick and EASY. If it's too hard we all have other things we can do.

Looking forward to your reply....

Kevin

Message 12 of 20

21-04-2010 06:06 . pm | View his/her posts only
This is the ideal location for video clips. But like Paul I can't see any easy ways of interacting with the content.

Another suggestion. Do videos of all the Show n Tell tutorials so we can run these if we want to dip into anything.

Paul

Message 13 of 20

23-04-2010 03:42 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Jarrod,
how does one log on as writer? I cannot find that option anywhere.

Seems you can sign up OK but that's it....

BTW cannot find any reference to pi in online Help/KB.
Under the current search regime I do not know if it is there or not.
I would have thought it was a function available to the equation editor.
So you can see the dilemma that exists when a search is not comprehensive.

If it requires special skills to get the right result, then it is not appropriate for a Help.
Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 14 of 20

23-04-2010 04:12 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Mudcrab

The value of Pi is not built-in to VX.

You can however store favourite values in a plain text file (or files) and pull them into the Equation editor as required.

For example in your VX User Folder (or any desired folder) you might have a file called Constants.txt, which can be created via the VX Equation Editor (or simply use NotePad):

EQUATIONS

Pi = 3.14159265358979 {3.1415926535897932384626433832795} [0, 0]
Sandwich = 1.5707963267949 {Pi/2} [0, 0]

Chris

Message 15 of 20

23-04-2010 08:00 . pm | View his/her posts only
mudcrab, try using Google to search within vxcadbase.com using the "Advanced Search" on google.com:

site:vxcadbase.com "wrap"

The first result on that search is this page:
http://www.vxcadbase.com/phpkb/article-334.html

I know this isn't ideal and it would be nice to have a built-in search that works as expected, but the VXCadBase.com software is limited in it's search functionality unfortunately. Using Google to search the site is an easy work-around when you're looking for something specific.

We are in the process of making some major changes to the Knowledge Base and internally our priorities are probably a bit different from those of our users so it's nice to hear what you guys are interested in so that any overlapping areas of interest can be given priority.

3Dmonkey, do you mean Show-N-Tell videos of someone going through the whole Tutorial, completing the Show-N-Tell example part? Just trying to get a better understanding of how you would like to see that done.

Paul

Message 16 of 20

23-04-2010 11:55 . pm | View his/her posts only
OK, THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE! Exactly what we need. But you're right about awkward.

Hey Chris can you a DAL that runs a Google search of the KB from inside VX?

What about typing a word in the command line with a '?' at the end and it all happens from there???

How hard is it to embed something like Sphinx or what ever that does that for you?

Being able to get the info you need as fast as possible has to be a BIG everyones priority surely. Friendly isn't just a nice word, it is what we need with everything we do with software. After all what's the point of writing the stuff if you don't embrace users!
Thanks for the tip for now.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 17 of 20

24-04-2010 08:31 . am | View his/her posts only
It's possible to add Goggle's search tool to the VX site.

Chris

Message 18 of 20

25-04-2010 12:40 . am | View his/her posts only
I'll look more into what's possible as far as integrating Google search into VX sites.

Search is definitely a priority for the KnowledgeBase.

Paul

Message 19 of 20

06-07-2010 05:58 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Webadmin,
can you please give and ETA for full text searching the the VX Knowledge base.
Can't come soon enough IMO.
Cheers

Mike

Message 20 of 20

07-07-2010 07:58 . am | View his/her posts only
There is a workaround. Open an internet browser. In the google search tool type, for example: partsolutions site:www.vxcadbase.com
This will only search our online HELP
See also