Random Plunging

warren

Message 1 of 2

Random Plunging
18-09-2009 11:54 . pm | View his/her posts only
VX will bankrupt me with these problems. I'm working on molds that I have to rework with G code faults. I can't trace it to bad geometry but VX plunges the tools in to clean geometry for no reason. I don't get what's happening. I am making parallel surface finish toolpaths and in the middle of the toolpath VX plunges the tool in to the part. There is nothing there. There is no stray geometry. I can not figure it out. If I keep this up I will be bankrupted by whatever new "features" cause this. Has anyone else had problems with random plunges? Files and screenshots will be provided upon request.

chris

Assistant Engineer

Message 2 of 2

19-09-2009 03:35 . am | View his/her posts only
I had some problem with the plunges doing electrodes. The problem in that case was the 3R shank I had in the assembly had a hole running through it. I removed the shank from the NC assembly and the problem went away. I had another that the geometry looked OK but the plunge happened until I erased the surface and replace it. The plunge did show up on the wireframe of the cutter path but was hard to see. I now use microsoft word to "find" Z moves that are not within the range of the program. This of course has its limits because of part geometry. Another way to check is to run the verify from the NC code. I have not done that with V14 so I'm guessing it is still an option. So far V14 has not plunged on me. I have always found that Chris W. can get to the real reason things happen if he has the file.
See also