RAPID PROTOTYPE

smd

Message 1 of 5

RAPID PROTOTYPE
01-11-2009 04:05 . pm | View his/her posts only
Is anyone useing VX STLs' for rapid prototyping? I recently purchased and got up running an old model solidscape T-66 printer. Grows some models fine. However alot of models are not growing...thru process of elimination it seems these models though booleaned and showns as closed objects , get flagged for errors in the mini magics software...i really don't want to spend several K to buy the whole magics soft to do the fixing.....anybody else runnig into this dilema?

Paul

Message 2 of 5

01-11-2009 07:26 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Scott,
I have had a lot of RPT plastics done from VX STLS via bureau service. They have never complained about the STL quality.
I check them before they go by opening in Solidview which never has a problem with them. As far as I am aware they do not have to repair them.

However the same STLs in Minimagics always report errors.
Could be a Minimagics tolerance thing to hook you in?????

AKELA, the UK VX distributor run a RPT bureau so I suggest you ask them for some advice.
AKELA

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 5

02-11-2009 05:04 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Scott

Ensure that your VX model is a water-tight solid. On export, take a look at the STL export options. VX does not export a solid STL unless either the Model is a solid or you select the option on export 'Refine facets to close volume'. That's by design, because it can be very handy to be able to export a non-solid model that needs to be machined. 'Translate to positive quadrant' would probably be appreciated by your printer, and if the Model Shape is organic, try 'Apply twist analysis,' which slows the export down a bit but can enhance the tri mesh. If you are exporting a tiny model, you might wish to ensure that you get a very fine mesh by inputting a maximum mesh size, but in so doing you will make a very large file - also ensure that the mesh size does not go beyond the threshold that the receiving system can cope with (resolution/tolerance/file size).

Ian

Message 4 of 5

08-01-2010 09:57 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Scott

The STL out put from VX is a robust tool, We currently output to the 3D Systems V Flash and Projet range of printers and the file sent to the printers is good. I would gues that there are limitations to the magics lite that you are using or the T66 is incapable of receiving a large amount of facets which are dense and complex. I agree with pau, take a look at solid view to see the results from the output, Question what calculates the build for the printer? has it internal STL verification and print pass processing? could it be that there is a software update available for the printer?

Good Luck

Joc
Akela

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 5

See also