CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > New Computer Build for VX

New Computer Build for VX

Steve

Message 1 of 18

New Computer Build for VX
05-11-2009 09:34 . am | View his/her posts only
My current computer is getting a bit long in the tooth with larger assemblies, so I've decided to build a new one in the next month.
I have a couple of questions/options to decide on.

Processor
AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHZ $195
or
Intel Core i5 2.66GHZ $199

Video Card
PNY Nvidia Quadro FX580/512MB $200
or
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 260 896MB $200

Will VX even take advantage of the Quadro card's capabilities? VS the faster GTX260?

The rest of the system will be 8 gig of DDR3 ram, 2x Samsung single platter HDs(nearly the same speed as the 10K WD drives at 1/2 the cost)in a raid0 array. And running Windows 7 64bit.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 18

08-11-2009 06:05 . am | View his/her posts only

The Corp have tended to avoid supporting commercial bits and bobs, trying to keep VX as neutral as possible. GTX260 is faster? How is that measured? If the tests are OpenGL, then VX should perform very well, but if the tests are largely DirectX based, that's no particular advantage for VX, though Windows7 will be happy.

The i5's are i7's that didn't meet the spec are they not?......

What motherboard are you going to use Steve? VX currently will not take advantage of the extra RAM as it is running as a 32bit program in Win7-64. So, the greatest effect on large assemblies is going to be the performance of the CPU at the moment. Once VX supports the 64bit OS, I'm sure things will be extremely interesting. A board that can hold 18 or 24GB of RAM, now that would be nice.

cutter

Message 3 of 18

19-11-2009 05:34 . pm | View his/her posts only
Chris,
Do you have any idea when VX will be supporting 64 bit? I find that I may have to get a new workstation soon and I am debating whether 32 or 64 for the os
Thanks, Dave

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 18

19-11-2009 06:04 . pm | View his/her posts only

Hi Dave

I do not know when VX will move up to 64bit. It's not just VX that you need to consider, but it should be the case that most of your 32bit applications that run OK on WinXP32 will also run OK (as 32bit) on Win7-64. What you do need to check out is your peripherals drivers - will your printer/scanner/digitizer work. They will need 64bit drivers in most cases. If the peripherals are hunky-dory, then you can invest in Win7-64 and stay with your 32bit apps until their vendors update them to 64bit.

Mike

Message 5 of 18

20-11-2009 11:13 . am | View his/her posts only
Guys,

As I stated in another thread, VX is running on 64 bit. As we have said all along, it is not built on the 64 bit platform but it will run as a 32 bit application. We are currently testing WIN 7 - 64 bit for a possible network license issue. It runs fine with a dongle.
You will have to manually set the "Compatibility mode" to Win XP sp 2 or 3.

cutter

Message 6 of 18

21-11-2009 03:40 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Mike,
Chris answered the correct question as if VX does not currently support 64 bit then there is no advantage to getting a 64 bit OS as far a VX is concerned. I am interested in both VX and SE in how they relate to the benefits of more memory so I am always interested in how far along my cad programs are to letting me benefit from more memoery. How is the testing for Win7 going and when will this be approved for VX?

Mike

Message 7 of 18

28-11-2009 11:48 . am | View his/her posts only
Dave,

Even our 32 bit application can benefit from more memory. There are some intensive commands that will prompt you to increase your available memory by typing $$free.

ERROR: Unable to allocate memory (27471312 bytes)
MESSAGE: Save your session or enter "$$free" to free memory.

The message is displayed when VX is unable to allocate memory from Windows. It generally happens when the user is working with large models and VX tries to do an operation that requires a lot of memory. The VX message suggests that the user save his session or run "$$free" from the command line to free up memory. It won't always work, but is worth trying. The user can also put more physical RAM in his machine and bump up the size of his swap space.

As far as I can tell right now there are only two outstanding issues with WIN7 64bit, neither should affect you. You need to manually set the compatibility mode and you need a dongle. This is as close to an official endorsement as I can give you. Earl Thornton has used it for several months to do demos and loves it. That may be a better endorsement.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 8 of 18

28-11-2009 02:58 . pm | View his/her posts only
That error message could of course indicate that something has simply gone wrong, either the failure of a previous command introducing some instability or the current one being unable to solve, since it would rarely be the case that just a few MB were not available for allocation. When I get such errors, I always save the file and re-boot VX to ensure it is running safely.

WindowsXP/Vista/Win7-x64 can allocate 4GB of ram for a 32bit application. The applications can work with that much ram if compiled with the LargeAddressAware switch and VX definitely can work with 4GB files. You would need much more than 4GB of RAM installed to take advantage of this, since the system hogs a very large amount of RAM and of course other applications will also require an allocation.

When VX 64bit is out, the amount of ram available will be limited only by your bank account. Well actually, Microsoft still apply limits artificially, possibly in the hope that you will later need to pay for an upgrade, so pick your OS version carefully. The CPU affects the amount of RAM addressable too (e.g. Intel i7 24GB, i5 16GB).

VX 64bit should also mean that longer file names could be used so it will be great to see that happen.

I have not seen any other CAD program work as well as VX does with a small amount of RAM and v14 certainly feels even more efficient than previous versions, so there is no need to hurry for most Users. Why not wait until Microsoft releases SP1 for Win7? That way, the niggles will be gone and you will have never been affected by them.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 9 of 18

02-12-2009 10:43 . am | View his/her posts only
On the speed side of things, you could use a small SSD drive for the page file and for Windows Boost. Ensure that the Motherboard will take more than 8GB RAM (take a look at the boards from Asus and Intel), so you can take advantage of any bargains in the future.

Steve

Message 10 of 18

02-12-2009 10:49 . am | View his/her posts only
The small SSD was a thought I had as well.
All the mobos I've been looking at getting have the capability to have up to 16GB of ram.

But I have to disagree about 14 'feeling' faster than 13. I believe 13 was faster. There are times on larger assemblies that 14 just freezes for no apparent reason. And looking at my task manager when this happens, VX is pinned at 50%, while nothing else of importance is working. This is on a 2 GHZ Core2Duo with 4 GB of ram.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 11 of 18

02-12-2009 11:19 . am | View his/her posts only
Ah, I have not had a very large assembly to judge it, but I have been modifying scanned geometry and that is a tough test.

It might be that your Anti-Virus is taking a swipe at VX. VX spawns a number of separate exe files and most AV treat that behavior as suspicious, intercepting the process to check it. So, adding all the VX exe files (VX User Folder and Program Files Folder) to the AV 'white list' may help.

Steve

Message 12 of 18

02-12-2009 11:50 . am | View his/her posts only
I have the following directories in my 'white list'

C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersVXCorp
C:Program FilesVXCorp
C:Documents and SettingsSteve MackayMy DocumentsVX Files

So it's not the AV software.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 13 of 18

02-12-2009 01:04 . pm | View his/her posts only
...has to be VX then. If you could benchmark the history regen of the same assembly in v13 and v14, that may give the developers an indicator as to what is going wrong.

Steve

Message 14 of 18

02-12-2009 01:17 . pm | View his/her posts only
I'll attempt to do that in the coming couple of weeks. Right now, we're swamped with work(not a bad thing!).

Steve

Message 15 of 18

01-03-2010 09:53 . am | View his/her posts only
I Bit the bullet and built a PC this past weekend.

Gigabyte mobo(GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P)
Intel Core i5-750 quad core processor
8 GB of ram
2 x 500 Samsung F3 drives(Fastest throughput short of SSDs , and the pricey WD raptor drives) Raid-0 array
HP nvidia Quardo FX580

All together came to just over $1K. And boy does this thing FLY
VX runs wonderfully under Windows 7-64 bit.

Mike

Message 16 of 18

01-03-2010 10:09 . am | View his/her posts only
I'll take one!

ChrisWard2k2

Message 17 of 18

01-03-2010 10:19 . am | View his/her posts only
Sounds like a bit of a beast Steve - I always build my own rigs too, better for you to decide where to cut corners rather than a PC Manufacturer I see a lot of people moving over to desktop-replacement-laptops but those are never as fast as a desktop, even with similar specs, because they simply cannot achieve the cooling required.

Steve

Message 18 of 18

01-03-2010 10:40 . am | View his/her posts only
I've never been convinced of the "desktop replacement" laptops.
I ditched the stock Intel cooler, and added a HUGE heatpipe cooler. Even overclocking the Core i5 to 3.4GHZ(from 2.66GHZ), didn't increase temps under load more than 3 degrees-C VS stock clocking. The cooling on the processor, and the Case I chose(Antec 200 series) is OVERKILL

I could have bought a Dell XPS Core i5 rig earlier this week for about the price I paid for what I built. But I'd be missing out on USB3, and SATA 3 ports. I like to pay a bit more up front, to help "future proof" things a bit. And I'd still have to swap out the Video card, and add a HD or tow to do the Raid-0 setup.

The last PC I built has been stone dead reliable, and is still fast enough to be productive in VX, Powershape and PowerMill 3 years later. So I hope this current PC will do the same.

See also