Got Skull?

smd

Message 1 of 9

Got Skull?
16-11-2009 06:46 . pm | View his/her posts only
Any suggestions on approach or technique ...check out the sub import file...i need to make this skull shape ..roughly...so i can put curves on to array gem stone settings....doesn't need any detail, just thesize ~25mm long and shape, but im not gettin it!I only need the top half of the side view as it'll sit on a ring....some direction would be appreciated if anyones got it....thanx Scott

cutter

Message 2 of 9

30-11-2009 07:55 . am | View his/her posts only
No suggestions on the skull but something else that may be of interest to you. I am a gemstone cutter of everything but Diamonds from faceted goods to cabs. The attached is an 11.81ct Tanzanian Tourmaline I have cut. If you go to Flickr and look up "Iris Agate" you will see a number of stones from "Rockman836". This is me and if you go to my photostream you will see a good representation of what I do. I had intended at one time to make a living at this as I am very good at it but sadly culture changes and with the change went the appreciation of things like fine colored gems. Not believing in the idea of starving artists I finally quit after many years of persuing this dream and instead went to things that paid bills in good times and bad which was welding, fabricating and machining. That having been said I still have hundreds of stones some of remarkable quality and all cut well if you care to inquire. This ends this crass commercial post. Oh, yes I can cut to a specific size or design if you have a particular idea in mind.

Now you know where "cutter" came from

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 9

30-11-2009 08:35 . am | View his/her posts only
If you load the image into a Sketch, you can trace around the profile with a spline curve, but I see you are trying to go 3D which hopefully you have accomplished with the translation I forwarded. Now, the translation was a whole skull. Since you need half, you can use a VX tool to slice the STL file into two. In the Utilities Menu, there is a command "split STL file". This is not performed within VX, it produces a new STL file for each slice, but it works well.

Paul

Message 4 of 9

30-11-2009 01:25 . pm | View his/her posts only
Seems to me that ideally VX would be able to import obj, 3ds, maya, lightwave files with 3ds being perhaps the most common.

Is this a possibility or are there some technical reasons why not?

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 9

30-11-2009 02:26 . pm | View his/her posts only
The technical reason is that 3DS and OBJ models are most often described as a mesh. To be useful, the mesh faces need to be faces in VX but the snag is that there are so many of them in a typical 'organic' model that Maya, Zbrush etc are used to define. VX will import 3D DXF and I note that 3D DXF import has been improved for v14.2. I have written a translator to convert OBJ files to DXF, so it is possible to get these models into VX. Might be the case that the face count is still limited by VX, I'll try it out.

Paul

Message 6 of 9

30-11-2009 02:44 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thanks for the info Chris,
Then I read your signature line! Still grasping as usual................................. !

ChrisWard2k2

Message 7 of 9

30-11-2009 07:03 . pm | View his/her posts only
Well, I have tested a 'Half Skull' model and unfortunately v14.20 does not want to play ball, way too many faces. A fine line between success and failure and so of course there is often a work-around. Divide and conquer works but is not really practical on this occasion as the model consists of approx 76,000 faces and the VX file is 578MB! However, in this case the STL file, <8MB as a VX file, should serve Scott's purpose.

Paul

Message 8 of 9

01-12-2009 04:16 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Chris ,
here is a quote from the newest CAD co on the block.

'SpaceClaim enables upfront analysis and complements and leverages investments in existing CAD tools. SpaceClaim supports standard data exchange formats ACIS, STEP, IGES, ECAD, Rhinoceros?, DWG, DXF, STL, OBJ, XAML, VRML, 3D PDF (requires Adobe? Acrobat? 9 Pro Extended) and includes interactivity with Bunkspeed? HyperShot?. With add-on modules, SpaceClaim Engineer can import and edit Pro/ENGINEER?, Autodesk? Inventor?, CATIA? v4 and v5, VDA, Parasolid?, SolidWorks?, JT", and NX? native files. '

I am curious as to how they manage to work with all those file types? Face limitations? and Native files? How does a CAD company manage to edit native files from a competitor vendor when the competitor is typicall tight lipped about it's file definitions etc.

In an aside but similar here is a presentation slide set from Focus_K3D re Generative Modelling Language - very definitely where product development is going.
The is something very alluring about the idea of being able to take any file and do what ever you like to it.... Now, would I use that? Not sure I'd have the opportunity. Scott could.... 'cos art doesn't have the same function limitations as MCAD item typically do.

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 9 of 9

01-12-2009 07:46 . pm | View his/her posts only
Generally speaking, they are using Spatial's 3D InterOp as many CAD apps are based on the ACIS kernel. The files actually are not truly 'native', that's a cheeky bit of marketing spiel. Of course, the actual format of the geometry data comes into play, as does the way an app's database is organized and accessed. I think the VX db would need some large changes in order to be able to handle the mesh models produced by other apps. In those apps, huge meshes with thousands of faces are no problem at all, but then most of the mesh brigade are unable to work with exact models using NURBS surfaces. Yes there are apps out there that do both well, if you have the big bucks of course.
See also