CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > work around for cam problems

work around for cam problems

cutter

Message 1 of 5

work around for cam problems
17-11-2009 06:07 . pm | View his/her posts only
Please see attached file. Spiral cut 2 will not recognise either center point or predrill point and insists that the cutter plunge in outside of predrill area resulting in broken endmill or extremely slow feedin rates. Profile cut 1 insists that even though I wish to cut from the outside in that it will feed in to the cut from the inside of the profile and not the outside. These can result in broken endmills. There should be an option to arc in from one side or the other of these profiles depending on what I wish to accomplish. A better and the correct answer in my opinion is that the cam plan when set up to cut in to center or out from center should automatically recognise the correct side of the profile used as a feature and not bury endmills in the workpiece. I have yet to figure a way to get around this and I am turning this in as a PCR.

Another issue of long standing I am having is that if I do a step cut I have no method of ramping in from one step to another at an angle. What happens now is that I have a right angle move only and if I step over at say 45% of cutter width there is in essence a 180 of arc engagement of the endmill. Both of these paragraphs involve things that break cutters in a heart beat or time killing reductions in feed rate and I am hoping someone here has a work around for these problems.

Another issue I am having on occasion is that in traversal instead of a rapid move between regions I get a move that is like 4 or 5 ipm and it just crawls along instead of doing the rapid thing. I have no idea about why this happens and it appears to be a random problem with no repeatable predictable parameters I can see causing it.

So for you cam users I would like to know if anyone has found an answer to these problems that I could use too. This is true in v 14.1 and 2 by the way.

Dan

Message 2 of 5

11-12-2009 01:25 . pm | View his/her posts only
where is the attached file cutter?

cutter

Message 3 of 5

12-12-2009 05:06 . am | View his/her posts only
Sorry about that. It has been a LONG week with some 20 hour days thrown into the mix. I won't be posting this file now because support has stated this is a problem that they hope to have fixed for V14.3. I don't think there is a work around.

Dan

Message 4 of 5

14-12-2009 10:29 . am | View his/her posts only
No problem cutter I just try to help if I can

Mike

Message 5 of 5

17-12-2009 06:41 . am | View his/her posts only
Hey Dave, I can tell you that this is indeed fixed in 14.3!
See also