CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > cam problems on simple 2d part again

cam problems on simple 2d part again

cutter

Message 1 of 4

cam problems on simple 2d part again
07-12-2009 03:49 . pm | View his/her posts only
Todays problem without going into a lot of details is the following. Gene has the file if anyone at VX wants to see it. Spiral out does not accept pre drill points nor start points resulting in shattered endmills as plunge is now outside of the predrilled hole/points specified in the cam plan. If my drill bit is 1/64" over the size of the endmill I should be able to rapid in and start cutting and telling me to use a bigger drill bit is not the answer, a correctly written program is. When you go to drill or tap a manual entry as to depth should over ride any automatic hole feature as I know what I want to do far better than the program. Same for tapping. If the hole feature in the part is say .375" in depth but I want to change the work piece to .5" I should be able to enter in .75 depth into the hole feature without rebuilding the part and the whole assembly associated with it, accept this and have the tap go to this depth. In this specific instance I can neither get the drill or tap to accept a .75" depth EVEN THOUGH it is assigned in the hole feature. I try to assign a centerpoint as the hole feature and this does not work. So here I am with a simple part and 5 hours later I still do not have a valid cam plan. This should have taken me all of 20 minutes to redo the cam plan and get on with my day.

Why aren't these basic and serious problems caught before release?

cutter

Message 2 of 4

07-12-2009 04:35 . pm | View his/her posts only
Update on this, there is a workaround Gene called with. If you pick a cylinder for the holes feature and also include the part as a feature you can assign depths manually. If you do not have the part as a feature it will still fail. There is still a problem here but at least there is a workaround til they get it fixed right.

Jianxin

Message 3 of 4

07-12-2009 09:14 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thanks for the report. We will look into the problem in Mill2 spiral out and try to fix it in 1430.

Hole making works as designed as I tested. Please help us to report a pcr with your failed VX file.

In hole making, you have these options to define your hole features:

1. Simply to add the part (or surfaces) to machine all the holes in the part (or in the surface sets);

2. To define your hole features using VX Cad HOLE Feature, but you will not be allowed to
change the parameters of your hole features. VX CAM machines the holes exactly as defined
in CAD and update the tool paths correctly each time a hole is changed in CAD.
If you have to modify the parameters of a hole, pleae use option 3 below.

3. To define your hole features using CYLINDER surfaces, you will be able to obtain all
hole machining parameters from the part and to manually modify these parameters;

4. To define your holes using ARC or CIRCLE curves, you need to specify hole depths and
other parameters

5. To define your holes using POINT entities, you need to specify hole diameters, depths and
other parameters if necessary;

You do not need to add the part in the operation feature list. Adding the part in the feature list has
these two purposes:

1. To check tool collision;
2. To check if a hole is a through-hole or not for cutting-through depths.

In addition, if you add a stock in the op feature list, the system will recognize the stock and adjust
the hole starting points automatically.

cutter

Message 4 of 4

08-12-2009 11:42 . am | View his/her posts only
One of the things that threw me for a loop here was the error messages which while much better than they used to be did not tell me what the problem was here. As Gene found out cylinders was the key here and the addition of the part itself which I was not accustomed to using in 2D. I have been used to using features off the part to derive cam plans without the part in there. Thanks for the well written parameter selection list. I would say though that even if this was designed this way at your end two problems can come up on my end. If the documantation is not well done then I don't know where to start and I don't have the intent knowledge that the developers do. Things change and I don't catch it on the whats new or it is not there and then all I know is it does not work.

Some of the methods suggested by you for hole creation did not work as Gene can attest to however and it was not until the part was added that everything was OK. I too am used to circles, arcs and points and could not understand why it would not work here. I could enter the data in the hole parameters but could not cut to the desired depth of the hole parameters until the part was added in and then it all worked.

The spiral cut problem will be a welcom fix.

Gene has this file and some direct knowledge of the problem if you care to look and of course I am willing to talk with you about the file and the problem if you wish to call.
See also