CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Those damn beads.....

Those damn beads.....

smd

Message 1 of 8

Those damn beads.....
22-02-2010 05:00 . pm | View his/her posts only
Well, these seem to be getting a good run. However the time spent putting in the various names is killin me! I pull up a ready text that's close, then start slicin and dicin, scaling parts and moving around to get this look. Anyone got any suggestions to make fitting a text to these faces any simpler? Scott

Paul

Message 2 of 8

22-02-2010 06:27 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Steve,
lotsa parts in that file. Want to be more specific about the exact problem and which part in particular we should look at.

Last time I saw these beads, the twist was a morph after the text was all fitted which seems like an elegant solution to me.
I thought I saw a wrap that did the text fit to the shaped face.
Cheers

smd

Message 3 of 8

22-02-2010 10:15 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hey Paul! No, the shape and gettin the sketches to wrap /inlay are no problem......I'm graspin at straws...am gettin a goodly amount of orders on these things. All different names, words , etc.
It's a tedious task inserting each text to fit in the said face....you'll see I made a couple of blank beads. So I just need to put the sketches, but that's the time consumer....If one could write a sub-program to fit a said text to a certain face.......you know. the font could be prestated and the soft would stretch, morph , squeeze astheticly into the space that the border is picked.....

Paul

Message 4 of 8

24-02-2010 03:24 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Scott (apologies),
Dunno if you can do the text morph in 2d - thought you could morph anything - however.

In Corel Draw (V11 for me) there is an envelope tool that allows you to warp any 2d vectors.

I entered some text, used the envelope then tweaked it to roughly the shape you want. Selected the whole lot then exported as a DXF.

In a sketch in VX I imported the dxf, eleminated any unwanted lines, converted curves to lines and arcs. Checked for gaps etc.

Then did the wrap. Seems with practice it could be really slick.

I figure you could set up a layered template in Corel for the outline shape from VX and then do the text work in Corel. Export DXF from VX then import into Corel.

If you dont have Corel or equivalent, you can buy SH. I would go further back than V11.

Maybe this helps.

Maybe this helps

smd

Message 5 of 8

14-03-2010 10:43 . am | View his/her posts only
Hey Paul, Cheers. Works been gettin in the way of research! Good tips, I've got corel...will have to see bout what your sayin, will keep you posted......scott

Here's a couple of the actuall product .....

John

Message 6 of 8

18-03-2010 12:18 . pm | View his/her posts only
Scott,
Took a quick look at your files. I know you did a lot of work with the original lettering as far as shape is concerned. I edited the sketch to just use Georgia True Type font in Ready Sketch, then made a rectangle around the word, did a double 1mm offset, deleted the original rectangle. Outside the sketch made a loft between the vertical lines for each sketch. I then redefined the wraps to use the new curves from each sketch and redefined the inlays to use the new lofts as the base surface. Because the wrap is proportional the lettering will be "warped" to fit the bead surface. This should really reduce the time you are using to get the lettering to fit on a defined surface. Take note (also mentioned in another recent post) that the Ready Text does explode on contact. I have a pcr to add the explode function to the 3d world and this is a perfect example as to why, the first sketch could be copied for all the words needed, edit the new sketches, alter the boundary, then explode them in the 3d world as a history operation. It allows all the text to edited without starting over.

Hope this helps.
John

Paul

Message 7 of 8

22-03-2010 03:55 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi John,
loved your solution. Have learnt s lot from this.
Almost all my projects have strict draft management(rigid tooling) requirements so wrapping to faces and using inlay is not an option.

However I wondered if the 'wrap to face' could be more complex so I added a spline mid profile and bi railed the loft. Quick job so a pic only.

So Scott, if you think you can cast these suckers with more shape, flexible molds presumably, you can make them as curvy as you want! How about that.

Cool job VX.

smd

Message 8 of 8

23-03-2010 01:15 . pm | View his/her posts only
wedding bands, wedding bands, wedding bands...I hate spring! Got to clear the decks so I can play with this...thanx Guys....
See also