CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > thread milling, what do posts do

thread milling, what do posts do

cutter

Message 1 of 6

thread milling, what do posts do
17-03-2010 09:24 . am | View his/her posts only
I need to speak to anyone who has actualy used the thread mill tool path. The help files and tech support give me answers I am not really confident in and VX Support also says that they recommend I cut a piece first in wax to proof the path. I find this to be a little disturbing to think that the confidence in this tool path is so low as to have to proof the path in wax first. I am getting the feeling here that this is still quite rough in execution and so anyone who has successfully used this I would like to here from. I want to use a single point thread mill in this. Support says just type in to any thread mill plan the pitch and go with it. I want to cut a 9 TPI thread which is not in the library so I question the ablitiy of VX to know correct thread depth here. Just seems very loosey goosey for an approach to something that needs to be exact and I need better info before I trash parts or cutters at $153.79 per pop.

Also, there are a number of Fanuc posts. Does anyone have any info or insight as to what these different ones do and when to use them? I use "fanuc basic inch" simply because it seemed to be the right description. No one I have spoken to at VX seems to know what each one does.

cutter

Message 2 of 6

24-03-2010 09:36 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hmmmm, No replies here. Is no one using this tool path? How about the posts anyone.

Ronald

Message 3 of 6

03-05-2010 08:59 . am | View his/her posts only
Have you tried the path yet? I have used them with no problems.

cutter

Message 4 of 6

03-05-2010 08:43 . pm | View his/her posts only
Sadly this job is still on hold so no I have not tried it. Did you use it with a thread in the VX library or one like the 9TPI which is not? Would it be possible to get a file from you where you have used it? Thanks by the way for a reply as I was begining to wonder if anyone was using it.

cutter

Message 5 of 6

26-06-2010 09:15 . am | View his/her posts only
Curious to know if anyone has read this request for information on what the different Fanuc posts do. It has been 4 months now so I am guessing that either the right person has not read this or no one knows. If no one knows what they do is anyone with developement thinking that perhaps this important little thing might be investigated?

Ronald

Message 6 of 6

01-07-2010 10:27 . am | View his/her posts only
Sorry for the slow return. I have used the fanuc basic post the most, but I have also used a ims post for an old dynapath control. I have added a quick hole using the fanuc basic inch post. In the parameters, change number of passes to 2 or more and change step value to around .01 or less, change pitch to the correct pitch, I turn cutter comp on. I used the tool that VX has set-up in their tool tables. I have added my own thread mills for the areas that VX has not covered. All I di was take the numbers right out of the book that I was buying from.
See also