Future in fillets?

Paul

Message 1 of 4

Future in fillets?
06-04-2010 06:35 . pm | View his/her posts only
Here is a link to some phantomware - not out yet - that shows some interesting things in regards fillets in particular.
Autodesk2011
Of interest to me:
Is the fillets calc and preview live so that it avoids the post command error if the fillet fails.
The large fillet between cylinder and tang is done after the pocket. VX cannot do this. We have to do the fillet then the pocket.

I observe that the filleting in the video actually goes beyond filleting and starts to become a shape feature in it's own right where it extends faces beyond those adjacent to the edge.

I am expecting Direct Editing to address some of the fillet bogies, but will it solve the two mentioned?
Cheers

cutter

Message 2 of 4

11-04-2010 10:52 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Paul,

Had a look at the video today. I don't know if Inventor licenses the Parasolid stuff from Siemens but the work flow and capabilities are strikingly similar to SE. Yes it is that easy and the power to edit in place is somthing you will REALLY like. Overall without having a chance to play with Inventor to find out about the gotchas that they aren't going to show on that video I would say that I think I like their interface better than SE's. There is a lot that direct editing can do with features picked in unison for editing such as moving a number of items in a direction for example that they did not cover there so I don't know if Inventor can do these things.

When I talk about direct editing I speak of course about SE as that is the only program I have experience on. I do fillets here that I currently can't do with VX. Now when you get into deleting this fillet after a save sometimes it can get a bit squirrely and you may have to delete another feature to delete the fillet and redo the deleted feature. But it is all done as you see in the Inventor video right there without going to the tree or sketcher and happens fast and painlessly. The order that features are created [hole,fillet] like in this Inventor part shouldn't matter.

If the fillet fails. In SE as long as you don't save you can step back at any time and back out an error situation. Like the Inventor guy say's though if it is not possible to create the geometry you are asking for it probably just wont do it. That has been my experience so far.

There is something I hear that VX is going to do that is far better than SE and that is you can do both parametric and direct edit in the same part. Right now with SE you either pick traditional OR synchronous for your part and that is how you work. NX, a far more expensive than SE program will do both in the same part and from what I hear on the forums is really the way to go. SE ST is capable of doing 95% of my work at this time but there are still instances where only traditional will work. If VX can implement this well they will really have something. I watch companies developing this and they all seem to have trouble so I expect that it will be a bit quirky when it comes out. It is a different way of working and will take a bit to get used to.

Paul

Message 3 of 4

11-04-2010 04:22 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Dave,
in some respects VX is sorta close to DE now, since you can edit any dimension that is visible in the work area or from within the history tree without having to redfine the feature . sketch etc.. The difference being that in DE the changes are computed live and shown live. I have no idea how much of a change this is for VX to move the computation to sit just behind the user input, but to me it seems that is where the one of the issues is. Then off course is the fact that some/many changes have parent/child effect and this is a database issue of some significance. How one keeps stability is a good challenge.

Fillets is one area I think there is plenty of time for the computation to take place whilst the user is picking and making choices. Maybe the compute after confirm is a legacy of when PC's didn't have the power to do it all in 'realtime'.

I note that some of these issues seem to be addressed in the V15release notes -Enahancements for curve lists.
Quote:
User Access:
Enhanced chain picking commands appear in the right-click popup menu whenever an input field allows multiple curves or edges to be selected.
User Impact:
Chain picks created with a new chain picking command are re-evaluated during regeneration.
These enhanced chain picks can adjust to changes in the number of curves and edges in a part caused by regeneration. End Quote.

This is a significant advancement as it has a a lot of implications to overcome.
IMO it is very good news and if it can work for curve lists could also work for fillet chains etc.
Parametric direct editing is essential - if I had to make a choice between one of the other I think right now, I'd stick with parametric.
Once I have a model sorted, tweaking is not major dimensional shift, rather small dimensional tweaks to adjust fits, and shapes. My geometry is seldom the simple stuff I see in video demos. Organic shapes are just not so easily created when they have to co ordinate with other object. OK for demos, you can do anything, but real world conditions place a lot of restrictions on form and dimension. Draft alone is enough of a constraint for many molded or cast item.

cutter

Message 4 of 4

11-04-2010 08:11 . pm | View his/her posts only
Paul,

VX has some direct editing but no where near what you saw in the Inventor video and SE. In some ways direct edit is really best as an edit tool but I build most all my stuff there by choice now as it is just easier. Hard to explain but you will see this fall. It's a whole lot easier to just click on a fillet and change the dimension right there. Or in an assembly you see two holes that don't line up so you fix it right there. Curve lists, open profiles and profiles all can be used in SE and I bet they will in VX to. VX licenses the Parasolid kernal from Siemens and it will be interesting to see how the develope their own direct editing on top of that. Look at my earlier posts in the forum for some examples of part editing without leaving the part mode.

HOWEVER, one of the biggest benefits in many ways was not metioned in the Inventor video or by me yet. It is the ability to edit imported geometry without having any history or feature tree. If VX dierect edit will do it like SE ST you will just work on dumb imported geometry because that is all you will need to start editing immediately and waay beyond VX's current ability to do so..
See also