CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Tolerance in input form.

Tolerance in input form.

Mark

Message 1 of 14

Tolerance in input form.
02-06-2010 05:53 . am | View his/her posts only
Seeing how tolerance changing both global and local is a big part of success in finishing models for me I have a suggestion, that for me would save many modelling minutes.

If in the input form there was an option to change the tolerance for just that command the all would be great. As I am constantly pulling down the preferences menue, trying various tollerance changes for a fillet for example and then hopefully remembering to change it back.
Say on step through, it is not possible to see what tolerance was used last time to creat that command until after it has been carried out.
I would like to see a permamant indicator of the global tolerance and a local option to change it for single commands.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 14

02-06-2010 06:44 . am | View his/her posts only

Hi theMIB

That is a good idea, because sometimes it is necessary to try two or three tolerance tweaks to persuade the operation to work - much more convenient to apply that tweak via the command's options form than having to pull-down the Edit Preferences form.

Say on step through, it is not possible to see what tolerance was used last time to create that command until after it has been carried out.

Most of the ops will have used the default tolerance, so if you do use a different tol for a specific op, you could insert a history comment to that effect (Insert/History Operation/Comment). You can then rename the Comment (right mouse on the comment/Rename) so that the name reveals the tolerance used without needing to open the Comment to see the record. e.g. it might be named "Tol_0p05" (p substituted for decimal point).

Mike

Message 3 of 14

02-06-2010 07:35 . am | View his/her posts only
Just in case anyone doesn't know, you can change the tolerance of any or all history items by clicking on the "Options..." button at the top of the History Manager, pick "Set Feature Tolerance."

You can also right-click on any history item and pick "Inquire." Among other things it lists the "Proximity Tolerance" used at creation time.

Mark

Message 4 of 14

02-06-2010 08:55 . am | View his/her posts only
Ok, yes the inquire works before and after the feature is created, I have always felt it is really slow to alter it in the preferences, then change it back, or not change it back and then it mucks up future features.

To let you know, I work with a default of 0.001mm and generally wont use less than 0.05 locally.

Paul

Message 5 of 14

04-06-2010 11:23 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi MIB,
I'm with you on this one all the way.
IMO Changing the tolerance is really a history event I want to know about.
There are a number of ways it could be indicated 'live'.

If during manual step through history there was a window showing the Tol used for the NEXT feature, then you could keep an eye on this.
It would be nice if the window was in the replay button zone. Then you could change the Tol BEFORE you replayed or redefined the feature.
It would also mean we don't add more clutter to the history tree.
Now it would be neat if we could the change the Tol at the same location. e.g. if you edited the Tol display the Tol could be changed for all the subsequent instances of the same value until there was another change.
e.g. if you have only changed Tol for one feature, then the redefine would only apply to that feature.

I think it is really important for the UI that information is delivered at the current focus zone not splattered all around the screen.

Cheers

David

Message 6 of 14

21-07-2011 03:26 . am | View his/her posts only
Just digging up this old request as I was going to post the exact same request.

Feel it would improve things immensly if this could be added to each feature.

Agree with all the above points raised so far on this issue.

I attach a mock up of what a feature operation might look like if it had it's own tolerance setting.

However changing this for each operation should not effect the global tolerance IMO.

Following the earlier feedback from ChrisW and Mike, do we know if we are any further forward with seeing a 'local tolerance' option in the future??

Thanks

David

Mark

Message 7 of 14

21-07-2011 03:55 . am | View his/her posts only
Here, here!

Tony_ZWSOFT

Message 8 of 14

21-07-2011 09:59 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi David and Mark,

This requirement had been reported in PCR.
And I have added both of your email addresses in the email list. And then, any information about this matter would be sent to you for reference.
Thank you.

Tony Tan

Paul

Message 9 of 14

05-08-2011 07:08 . pm | View his/her posts only
Deja vu moment....
Perhaps an even smarter enhancement would be for the tolerance change option to automatically pop only if the command failed.
If it is changed it still needs to show in history or a little flag beside features that use a tolerance different to the preference setting OR is shows in the redefine as per the cool mock up.
There should a;ways be an option for the new tolerance to apply only to the current feature then revert to standard.
Or some such intuitive ability to manage this quickly and historically.

David

Message 10 of 14

10-08-2011 08:45 . am | View his/her posts only
Paul - Any way of having a global and also local tolerance option would be great - and you put forward some good suggestions / options there.

My main issue is that when something fails and you tinker with the tolerance to make it work, sometimes (not always!) you forget to change it back. Then 10-20 operations later you realise that all you operations are at the lower tolerance! Which can be a little frustrating...not necessarily frustration with the programme, but frustration with your own memory! But I'm sure that ZW could put in a nice option to help your memory out....

Mark

Message 11 of 14

06-03-2012 08:57 . pm | View his/her posts only
Any news on this?

Colin

Manager

Message 12 of 14

07-03-2012 02:06 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi, theMIB, thanks for your feedback, it is still not provided for ZW3D 2012, that is the enhancement we should add, mudcrab's suggestion could be the good choice to enhance the tolerance input. I believe that it is easier for the users if the dialog prompts only when something doesn't work. And now we are fixing those cases one by one, and hopefully it will enable us to fix those similar cases together in those specified tough operations.

If you have more cases like that, I appreciate that if you could sen them, and then we will add them to SP1 or SP1, just FYI, the SP1 will also fix some specified cases like that.

Mark

Message 13 of 14

07-03-2012 06:39 . pm | View his/her posts only
Post Last Edit by theMIB at 2012-3-7 18:40

Reply 12# colinchuang2008

Hello.

I disagree that it is ONLY useful when it doesnt work.
One of mine and my colleaguse reasons is that if we change the global tollerance for one command, then 'forget' to change it back through a step through history and re-editing commands, features get re-created with the wrong tolerance and it can go unnoticed.

Redoing work is time consuming when mistakes like this are made.

We believe it would be useful to have the tolerance highly visible when replaying commands.

I hope this helps. Please see the original reason.

Seeing how tolerance changing both global and local is a big part of success in finishing models for me I have a suggestion, that for me would save many modelling minutes.

If in the input form there was an option to change the tolerance for just that command the all would be great. As I am constantly pulling down the preferences menue, trying various tollerance changes for a fillet for example and then hopefully remembering to change it back.
Say on step through, it is not possible to see what tolerance was used last time to creat that command until after it has been carried out.
I would like to see a permamant indicator of the global tolerance and a local option to change it for single commands.

Paul

Message 14 of 14

08-03-2012 04:56 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Mark,
in defence of my suggestion, that the system automatically offers a dialogue, or even better offer a computed recommendation of the lowest tolerance that would work,(surely the computer can work this out faster than we can) then this should only apply to the local event. This would mean you set your global level, then tweak only those that require exceptions.
I do not see any reason why we should be left to go backwards and open the options dialogue in order to carry on modelling. It should be part of the work flow, not an interruption.
A further enhancement would be the tag attached to the feature showing the tol value for the exceptions - perhaps. This would advise that an exception was present.
What needs to happen is that there is some intelligent communication to the user why a feature fails. Once this is known, then you can rapidly make changes to the preceding processes, tolerance etc. Right now we waste many hours trying to figure why so we can plan a fix.
If you are only loosing minutes, then well done.

Cheers
See also