viewer

chris

Assistant Engineer

Message 1 of 4

viewer
12-07-2010 04:36 . pm | View his/her posts only
what is the best way to set up a viewer for my customers so they can see what I have. I would like to send a VX file and they can look at what I have done, roll it around and check if that is what they had in mind. stl files just do not cut it and jpeg and movies do not let them zoom in on any concerns they may have. 3D CAD is not their thing, I try to tell them that it is far more easy then prints but some are scared.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 4

12-07-2010 05:55 . pm | View his/her posts only
Well, how about sending them VX itself? Without a password, dongle etc VX runs in viewer mode, so your customers can see your model exactly as you see it. I understand that they might be cautious about using 3D, there are many people that need CAD but only very occasionally, or only a sub-set of the commands. I wonder if a Show N Tell can be run with VX in Viewer Mode - that might help.

An alternative would be a free viewer, such as SolidView Lite. It can display STL files 'smooth', so they look like the original NURBS model.

If the model isn't huge, VX can output a VRML file (*.wrl) too, so if your customer would be more comfortable using a VRML viewer, you could perhaps set-up a viewer on your website so that they could simply visit your site to see the model pre-displayed in a viewer.

If the customer needs to examine the model in detail, you can't really get away from CAD or 3D viewers, otherwise a good alternative would be to make a short movie (Record VX animation as an AVI file).

Nick

Message 3 of 4

14-07-2010 12:12 . pm | View his/her posts only
Have a look at Acrobat 3D or what ever it's called now. I had exactly the same issue a few years ago and found installing VX as a viewer was not an option as it was too much of a faff for customers some of whom were not allowed to install stuff any way. Even E Drawings for SW stuff was a pain and it can't get much easier than that.
I got a copy of Acrobat 3D and never looked back, I can even drop spin around 3D models into quotes and spreadsheets but as a simple viewer is where it rules for me. All the customer needs to open the pdf is Acrobat Reader 8 or above and i'm betting 90% of the world has this installed. Other pluses are the file sizes are small compared to to original cad and it is quick to use just print the cad file to pdf and away you go.
The cost of A3D is an issue or it was at the time especially as it was a lot cheaper online from the states than the UK and as is the rip off way of things you could not buy from the US if you were in the UK.
Another thing is the quality of the models in Acrobat is visually excellent, much smother than in the program which created them.
I think you can still try it for free. It looks like A3D is now rolled into Acrobat 9 Pro Extended, but with a title like that cost is still bound to be an issue.
I suppose you could always look out for an earlier version on ebay they do crop up from time to time. One way or another you must get you hands on this as it will solve your problem.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 4

14-07-2010 03:25 . pm | View his/her posts only
Yes, I have to agree that Adobe is a very good solution indeed. Acrobat9 Pro-Extended is USD699 purchased online in the USA. Unfortunately for UK Users it is a whopping GBP651 + VAT(charged at 21pc, even though the UK rate is still 17.5pc).
See also