Goodbye and thanks

cutter

Message 1 of 3

Goodbye and thanks
02-08-2010 08:26 . am | View his/her posts only
I am now not active with VX and unlike others feel a little funny posting on a product forums where I either do not spend my money or do not have actual knowledge of the product. Between the direction this forum is now taking and also in light of my maintenance lapse this will probably be my last post for some time. I have enjoyed and been agravated at times but still feel that VX is good value for the money. It still is a bit shocking that six years goes by this fast but that is how long I have been here. The direction my business is taking requires different capabilities than VX currently offers however and so I must go. I will be back to have a look at V15 as I am keenly interested in how VX does this and who knows, if there is enough cash in the kitty I just may be back. Good luck on V15 and thanks all for the help over the years I have been here. Think lathe and sheet metal sometime in the future and for sure I will be back to take a serious look.
Regards, Dave Ault

raytherock

Message 2 of 3

23-08-2010 05:51 . am | View his/her posts only
This is my first post here. And I would like to dedicate it to you as an acknowledgement.

As a ZW member, I want to thank you for your continuous and constant support to VX.

I think you will not be disappointed when you see the future growth of VX.

Best regards~

cutter

Message 3 of 3

23-08-2010 09:26 . pm | View his/her posts only
Ray,
I am interested in VX and will be looking. I assume you are with ZWCad? For what it is worth the reasons I have let my subscription lapse are as follows. Most all of my work is in MCAD now and in particular good sheet metal is something I have to have along with better assembly tools. If I get into more complex facility work for plants I will also need things like Pipe and wiring routing which are not available in VX. VX is still after all a great modeler but primarily aimed at Mold and Die which I have never done and probably will not do at this rate. MCAD is a huge market compared to this relatively small Mold and Die niche and I hope to see VX move in this general direction. I am very interested to see how well direct editing will be done compared to Solid Edge as direct editing was one of the most compelling reasons for me to buy SE.
Machining has been a night and day improvement since V9 to V14 and other than some quirky little problems like spiral out toolpaths which seem to present problems time after time is pretty darned good. The corner round and bevel and thread milling plans are not up to par with other programs and need help. The thread library in both cad and cam is inadequate and where I have all metric and fractional threads up to 6" diameter material for cad in SE, VX has some and stops at far smaller sizes. I don't know what sizes are offered in Cam Express here as I have not seen it yet but will be looking at a demo sometime fairly soon. Machine posts used to be terrible but as of V13+ now seem to work out of the box which is as it should have been all along. The real drawback here for me in the near future and to people I talk to is the lack of Lathe cam. The second largest single group of cnc machine tools has been talked about for years but never delivered on and it seems will not be so for some time to come. No one wants to have different cam programs for lathe and milling, they want one program to do it all with one common GUI. This has cost VX a huge number of sales over the years. As a matter of fact I would say that the cost of developing good lathe cam would have been a tiny fraction of the additional profits to be gained but as I have said it was not Mold or Die and so was not important.
I am giving you a bit of feedback as to why I looked and bought elsewhere because if these things were fixed in VX I have to say I could be very interested again. One thing for you guys to think about is the huge amount of time passing in between releases. In my case the larger my investment in time and money grows in different software the harder it will be to get me back. It will be two plus years if I remember right that will pass between V14 and 15 and you are going to find a lot of customers think this is way to long between major releases to continue to pay maintenance. There are a number of heavy hitters coming out with direct editing and in particular SE ST3 is going to be fierce competition. I know because I have had the pleasure of seeing it. You really have very limited time to get a very good direct modeleing version out before you have a much harder market to sell into balanced against you for sure don't want to push it out the door to fast with a ton of bugs.
I expect there is a lot you guys won't talk about as to the direction VX will take and are probably debating priorities as to what should be done first. I will be watching with great interest for sure and recently I was debating my interest in VX but I find I keep coming back so I guess I have to say that yes I am still interested. When is ZW going to start talking about what will be done and what we can expect?
See also