Message 1 of 15

WAVEFRONT obj files
08-08-2010 07:29 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi all, can wavefront obj files be imported into vx? Thanx scott

Paul

Message 2 of 15

08-08-2010 09:52 . pm | View his/her posts only
Deja vu question Scott,
as far as I can recall the answer is no.
Can the producer of the wavefront file produce a suitable open format surface model?
I am guessing you are looking at an existing shape model you want to use.
Can some one else recycle the wavefront as an open format object?
One would think STL was an option but I have not figured out how to convert to useable faces...
Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 15

09-08-2010 04:10 . am | View his/her posts only
If the Obj is a Mesh file (they often are), then the answer is yes, you can buy my OBJ-2-STL translator to get the file into VX. VX is happy to use STL for machining but unless the face count is relatively low, you can't do a great deal with the geometry in CAD.

smd

Message 4 of 15

09-08-2010 07:12 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thanx Fellas! Ya, repeat, I couldnn't remember??? You finished that converter Chris? Great! Too bad I don't use the VX for CAM....and yes, using STL's in the cad is a PIA. But I found a cheap sculpting soft (so cheap it's free) with a friendly UI that only exports wavefront....sculptris.com.

Paul

Message 5 of 15

11-08-2010 06:05 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hey Scott,
Looks like it could be learnt in a few hours while commuting...
Cheers

cutter

Message 6 of 15

12-08-2010 04:32 . am | View his/her posts only
OK maybe I am a bit slow today but what are you trying to do with wavefront obj files? I had a look at the program you mention and thought it was more of a rendering product than anything else. Are you telling me that this can be made to create useable 3D surfaces for actual solids modeling and machining?

Chris, a friend of mine works at a shop where they have those SLA machines that use STL files. One of their biggest problems is that they can't edit the STL files. Does your program allow a workaround for this problem by creating a useable editable 3D file of some sort?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 7 of 15

12-08-2010 07:50 . am | View his/her posts only
Hello Cutter

The Sculptris app (free) is nice for 'organic' Shapes, probably not your first choice for engineering though. It is the sibling of a currently more convincing app, Zbrush (not free!), which also does not really lend itself to engineering but has potential for plastic mouldings stuff. Both of these are actually Mesh Modelers, so their 3D model can be output in mesh format. OBJ and STL are both mesh formats. Typically, an OBJ mesh face is four-sided, whereas an STL face is always a triangle. The faces are always planar.

Traditional CAD programs like VX that use surfaces and solids to describe Shapes are not so good at handling mesh data. VX has been improved in that department (v14), allowing you to import an STL and then convert it into a Shape by typing the command !CdStl2Faces. This converts each mesh face (triangle) into a planar trimmed VX face. If the model is from a Mesh Modeler, it should end up being a solid in VX. Now, the snag is the total number of faces. Mesh models tend to consist of thousands, tens of thousands, even hundreds of thousands of faces. That is obviously a lot different to a Shape described with NURBS surfaces and thus most CAD apps struggle with the data. In my experience, VX can handle Mesh Models with around 8000 faces. Depending on your requirements, tools such as Boolean Add/Subtract/Trim do work. Another major function is the ability to erase one or many faces in VX, so you can repair or modify in that way, something that a lot of other CAD apps cannot easily do. It is very tedious though, and some functions do not like to see so many faces (e.g lots of faces = lots of edges, so that is a problem for the fillet command).

My translator OBJ-2-STL will help you get the mesh model into VX (or any other CAD app that supports STL). I have another translator that will reverse the process, creating an OBJ from STL so that you can use a Mesh Modeler to modify the Shape.

There is an app which cleverly bridges the Mesh-NURBS gap inside a traditional CAD app. It's called T-Splines, you may have heard of it. Mark Vorwaller knows the developer of T-Splines, I think they went to the same University (not sure). It would be nice to see T-Splines, or something similar, in VX. I think the new Direct Editing functionality in VX (v15) could be a stepping stone towards that.

Kevin

Message 8 of 15

12-08-2010 08:04 . am | View his/her posts only
T Splines is the way to go for this, as Chris says. Most automated polygon to nurbs conversion is dire. I only ever use the mesh (usually a scan) as a guide for constructiong curves and surfaces over. T Splines is very clever :-) But currently really only works with Rhino or Maya. Hopefully that will change!

smd

Message 9 of 15

16-08-2010 11:58 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi folks, I'm primarily making jewelry and parts for jewelry. Most others using cad for the same are using Rhino, or it's overwrite matrix. Along with some other softs, but rhino with all it's available plug ins seems to be the most popular. There are folks using sculpt softs like zbrush , 3d coat, or even sculptris and moving the parts back and forth for modification. Zbrush and sculptris have tools to reduce the # of polys to make this effort a little less painful. But from what I hear, it's still daunting. That said, i've been lookin for someway to do the same with vx.
So chris, how much are these softs you created and can i try them out. I think you used your program to convert that skull for me. which came out of zbrush. i did get it into vx, but your right there was no good way to modify it. Let me know, thanx scott
scott@goldmine-jewelers.com

Jon

Message 10 of 15

17-08-2010 09:08 . pm | View his/her posts only
"There is an app which cleverly bridges the Mesh-NURBS gap inside a traditional CAD app. It's called T-Splines, you may have heard of it. Mark Vorwaller knows the developer of T-Splines, I think they went to the same University (not sure). It would be nice to see T-Splines, or something similar, in VX. I think the new Direct Editing functionality in VX (v15) could be a stepping stone towards that."

Available as a component that can be licensed:

http://www.tsplines.com/products/t-tools-libraries/organicmodeling.html

"Benefits

The T-Tools Organic Modeling Suite is based on the patented T-Splines technology. Licensing the T-Tools Organic Modeling Suite libraries will give your CAD product top-of-the-line organic modeling tools..."

The person who invented T-Splines:

http://vimeo.com/12470159

Jon Banquer
San Diego, CA

Paul

Message 11 of 15

17-08-2010 10:34 . pm | View his/her posts only
We've (forum members who were around then) looked at T-Splines in the past and gone WOW.

Quote:
'T-Splines can be used to convert .obj files to manufacturable NURBS surfaces.

Despite being the most common 3D file format used to exchange animation and gaming models, .obj files have had limited use in CAD because CAD files are based on smooth NURBS surfaces and .obj files are based on faceted polygons. Consequently, in solid and surface modelers like SolidWorks or Rhino, .obj files have served mainly as 3d mesh references, around which NURBS-based models can be constructed.

With T-Splines, .obj files can actually be converted to NURBS, as a push-button operation. This saves significant time that otherwise would have been spent remodeling, and allows for more efficient repurposing of 3D digital assets.

For best results, use a low-poly count, quad-dominant .obj file. The entire process of converting the .obj file to T-splines to NURBS took under 3 minutes.' <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://blog.tsplines.com/2009/05/converting-obj-car-model-to-nurbs.html">TsplinesBlog</a>.

So there is a solution - just not inside VX yet! What a great place for T-Splines to reside. I suspect if VX was T spline enabled it would be create quite a lot of interest out there in CADDY land.

Jon

Message 12 of 15

18-08-2010 01:21 . am | View his/her posts only
For anyone that really want's a good idea of how T-Splines works here is a link to a high resolution video tutorial of T-Splines organic modeling.

It's a 258 meg download:

http://media.tsplines.com/DolphinTutorialwaudio.mov

Jon Banquer
San Diego, CA

Jon

Message 13 of 15

22-09-2010 12:54 . pm | View his/her posts only
http://develop3d.com/reviews/t-splines-for-rhino

Probably the best review I've ever read on a CADCAM product / add-in.

Jon Banquer
San Diego, CA

cutter

Message 14 of 15

23-09-2010 04:46 . am | View his/her posts only
This 3D example was saved as a parasolid so you could open it in VX or SE.

Jon

Message 15 of 15

25-09-2010 04:33 . pm | View his/her posts only
http://develop3d.com/reviews/t-splines-for-rhino

After reading this review watching one of the T-Splines Webinars would really help someone who actually wanted to broaden their skill set and reduce the major hassle that NURBS surfacing can often be.

Below is the link for all the T-Spline Webinars that have been held so far except for yesterday's T-Splines Webinar will be posted next week along with the initial pencil sketch we started from.

http://www.tsplines.com/community/webinars.html

Jon Banquer
San Diego, CA
See also