CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Can dimension text be solid?

Can dimension text be solid?

Paul

Message 1 of 16

Can dimension text be solid?
17-08-2010 08:20 . pm | View his/her posts only
It seems you can do almost anything with dimension attributes(2D drawings) except manage the line thickness or fill of the selected text.
Everything is outline regardless of it's origin font (VX or TTF)

Is there a reason for this?

Are there any changes planned?

Is anyone else interested in having more control over text appearance in drawings?
Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 16

18-08-2010 05:45 . am | View his/her posts only
I would expect the integration of ZWCAD to deliver that.

Mike

Message 3 of 16

18-08-2010 11:03 . am | View his/her posts only
We will just have to wait and see. It won't happen tomorrow.

Dave

Message 4 of 16

20-08-2010 01:35 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Paul,

I don't know if Mike mentioned the current solution (?) to you. I had the same issue I discussed with him a few months back. He told me the only way to control dimesnion text attributes was through plotting. He had me put the dimensions in a different color. When plotting, go into attributes and change them for that particular color. It works, but it's certainly not a good solution.

Dave

Mike

Message 5 of 16

20-08-2010 02:40 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hey David, thanks for the reminder. If it works, isn't it a good solution?

Paul

Message 6 of 16

20-08-2010 09:24 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thanks Dave,
Mike the 'solution' is called a 'work around'.
It actually makes outline fonts look odd. Bit for Simplex fonts, setting the line thickness to the ~3rd line does give the increased boldness that is no longer 'spider' like. Works OK for me.

So for folks who haven't gotten their heads around PLOTTING from VX I offer the following ultra simple explanation and tips.

Plotting is actually a computed output rather than an image of the drawing.
Plotting does not do Shaded or Fast Hidden Views or any images.
The advanced controls in plotting allow for setting the paper size, colour line type, thickness, color or BW output etc etc.

Now the trick is to set up plot definitions and customize these as you go.

So for say A3 plotting(I always print to Primo_pdf so this is the printer included as part of the plot definition) in the Setup file field, type in 'A3_Horz_yourname' (definitions are in the Device tab.)
Save the setup file then start setting the options you want in the various tabs. Do simple test drawing prints until you have the right output. Then save the definition/setup to keep these for later.
You can have multiple setups. I have one for each paper size. To re use the definition/setup, go to the Device tab then pick the SetupFile you want from the Available drop down list. Then choose Load Setup file.
Remember to visit the Plot Tab and turn off the Scale to Fit option which annoyingly resets each Setup Load.(IMO it should not!)

OK so that 's all sorted.
Now you need to find where these plot files are stored so you can copy them from one version to another.
The exist in the User xx.xx(version) folder under plotters. I keep a CAD Setup Data folder where I keep a copy of the most current plot files, bundles, etc before installing a new version. This means I have convenient way of quickly getting all my customised settings (well most at least) back up an running quickly.

The text option discussed here is to set up the Dimension Bundle to have the dimension text in a unique color(I chose Grey with blue lines). Then in the Plot Setup under Colour Tab, set the Grey to Print Solid/ a particular line thickness and have this contained in the setup for always. The combination of settings allows for the good looking output related to the paper size assuming you are consistent in using Attrib. bundles and Setups.The little issue is that printing via a PDF printer may not always give you the line thickness or type control you might expect. But with experimentation you can get it looking good.

VX does allow you to manage all these things professionally but it takes setting up. The most important part is being able to move these to the next version quickly.

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 7 of 16

20-08-2010 10:32 . pm | View his/her posts only
That's a handy Plotting guide Mudcrab, useful to all.

Concerning Shaded Views and Images, they do 'plot' (does not work in v14.40, fixed in v14.50), in which case the output is raster, not vector (I know, I know ). I have not seen ZWCAD2D in action but given that it rivals AutoCad 2D, I'm sure there will be a lot of niceties for VX Users in the future.

http://zwcadusa.com/

Paul

Message 8 of 16

21-08-2010 12:55 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Chris, don't you ever sleep!
Its middle of the day on the opposite side of world here and you are posting!!!

I have 14.5Beta and the Scale to Fit annoyance has been fixed too.

Re the plot shaded. Yeap the raster strikes again! At least it does something....

Curiously I have gotten fond of fully editable vector plots now I am weaned of GL drawings and shaded as per the 'others' .

Dave

Message 9 of 16

21-08-2010 02:49 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thanks Paul for the explanation. I'm afraid I'm not terribly sophisticated when it comes to a lot of this. All I want to do is design for my customers (which I find very doable with the VX geometry engine) what they need and give them high quality technically correct drawings, which is all they usually see. Unfortunately, VX plotting leaves a lot to be desired, maybe because I don't use it correctly. However, if it is a raster based plot, I hope VX adds vektor plotting, which I understand is more accurate which at times I need.

Thanks again Paul for the helpful explanateion

ChrisWard2k2

Message 10 of 16

21-08-2010 03:25 . pm | View his/her posts only
For a standard 2D Layout without images, VX can produce a high quality vector-based output, HPGL for example. If you need to include images, which is raster data, plot the vector stuff first, then run the paper through the plotter again to produce the images - best of both worlds.

Dave

Message 11 of 16

24-08-2010 09:38 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thank you Chris.

Dave

Paul

Message 12 of 16

24-08-2010 11:38 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Daved,
attached is a PDF version of a plot output from VX.

I have modified some attributes and am using the colour filter/line thickness from plot profile to thicken the text.
If you want drawings to look something like this I can provide the suite of attribs, templates, plotter profiles.
I have removed some data like filename/path and other part attribs that are normally there to automate as much pf the drawing as possible.
I only out put B&W.

VX is very powerful at the printing end BUT with power comes the need for skill(time).
It has taken me some time to get all the dots in a row. If anyone else has extensively mod'd the drawing templates I 'd be keen to see what they have done. One can always learn.

FYI I don't use layers mostly 'cos I don't have a reason to that I am aware of. They might be helpful?
Cheers

Dave

Message 13 of 16

25-08-2010 01:45 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Paul,

Thank you very much. Like you, my output is B&W. I think all that plotting power comes at a price--complexity. I also think some of it is needed to compensate for missing capabilities such as setting dimension text attributes in dimesnion attributes. I say that, not to belittle VX because I think the geometry engine has a lot going for it, but rather because other software I use and have used output an equal or better plot with a lot less work.

That said, I would appreciate seeing your suite of setup files. I have no doubt I will find them helpful.

I also don't use layers in drawings. I do use them in assembly models. I find VX layers cumbersome compared to other's I've used. But I must say I don't find Solidworks to be a much better.

Regards, Dave

Paul

Message 14 of 16

29-08-2010 07:51 . pm | View his/her posts only
Just a small update re the Fit to Sheet setting.
This can be part of the setup so make sure it is off when you save the setup file.
I have since updated my setups and it is no longer a nuisance! How about that!

Paul

Message 15 of 16

29-08-2010 11:21 . pm | View his/her posts only
OK, here are some setup files.

Instructions (if required):
Place Plotter definitions in your plotter file under x:ProgramsFileVXCorpVX14.50Plotters.
Place Bundles in x:VXCorpUser-14.xx esource
Place Templates in x:VXCorpUser-14.xx esource

You can open Templates and look at them, make changes etc. Just save when doen.
Copy the ones you want and place in yopur own set etc.
Now bundles are diferent 'kettle of fish' and I do not know if you can move individual bundles?

I use Primo PDF as my output so these are set to work with Primo. it's free and for the most part is fine.
I use Foxit reader for PDFs and get rid of the slow Adobe Reader monster.

If things don't work for you, ask questions here.

It was all fine when if left NZ!

Mike

Message 16 of 16

30-08-2010 09:21 . am | View his/her posts only
When you use the Import Configuration command, Bundles get merged. That is, if you have created new materials or dimension bundles, they will be combined with the standard VX bundles not overwritten.
See also