CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Is it possible to have parallel line constraint?

Is it possible to have parallel line constraint?

Paul

Message 1 of 12

Is it possible to have parallel line constraint?
31-08-2010 05:01 . am | View his/her posts only
The Sketcher is cool, but...
... with out using trace/parallel trace which actually works great for this...

is it possible to have a parallel line actually stay parallel with out adding a myriad constraints.
I mean is it something D3 can do?
Does any other software have this?
Alternatively is it possible to make is so all reasonable constraints could automatically be applied ?
e.g. parallel, concentric etc,

Mike

Message 2 of 12

31-08-2010 07:45 . am | View his/her posts only
Paul,

I know there has to be more to this question then you are letting on. Parallel constraints can be added automatically or you can force two lines to be parallel by adding "one" parallel constraint. I'm not sure why you mention "a myriad of constraints" unless there is more to this story.

Do you want to attach a part?

Dave

Message 3 of 12

31-08-2010 12:50 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Paul,

Parallel constraints are alive and well. I'm just a simple soul, just answer questions directly. It works fine with draw and with line geometry (parallel offset).

Daved

Paul

Message 4 of 12

31-08-2010 02:08 . pm | View his/her posts only
My bad. Too late at night...
I meant to say parallel offset for a chain of curves/profile set. I knew what I meant.

In the attached SS the outside is a fully constrain profile.
The inside is a parallel offset.
I add a small line between the two as a construction for controlling the actual offset dimension.
The Inside profile has no real memory of being an offset of the original profile.

If I want to change the offset value, I have to either redo the offset with a new value or add the constraints manually.

For lines and arcs I see no reason why the parallel off set constraints should not be added automatically or there be an inherent parallel offset relationship. I can understand splines might be more difficult to manage.

With out adding at least a connection line, when you move the profile the offset is left behind.
Parallel trace overcomes this but you cannot edit the offset value, you must rebuild and that is not parametric.
Cheers

John

Message 5 of 12

31-08-2010 02:57 . pm | View his/her posts only
Paul,
The answer to your question: Does any other software have this? ProE does what you want. We create a lot of offset profiles and in ProE it is very easy.

I submitted the following pcr to do just that back in 2006:
In the attached file Sketch3 contains a curve chain that is just an offset from Sketch1. I want all the constraints from Sketch1 to drive Sketch3. In ProE for this same condition I only need apply the distance and direction of offset. In Vx I do the offset and direction then must apply constraints for the same conditions that exist in Sketch1.

The sketch I refer to is just a simple outline similar to yours.

John

Paul

Message 6 of 12

31-08-2010 04:14 . pm | View his/her posts only
So that begs the questions:
Why has VX ignored this reasonable request for so long?
How come it wasn't implemented with the new sketcher?

Are the other things the sketcher doesn't do that it should ?

Dave

Message 7 of 12

01-09-2010 01:20 . pm | View his/her posts only
It appears that VX will not add constraints to offset curves until they are dimensioned, and VX does not dimension the offset value. When I auto constrain and dimension offset curves, they constrain. If I delete the dimensions, they remain constrained. If I then dimension one of the original curves to its offset counterpart, and change the dimension value, the offset will change for all the curves. This is a lot of work, but it seems to work. I have not tried this with a closed boundary, so I don't know if that makes any difference.
Daved

Kevin

Message 8 of 12

02-09-2010 02:25 . am | View his/her posts only
This was one of my bugbears with the old VX sketcher - no offset constraint. The D Cubed sketcher does have this functionality so I would hope that VX might introduce it at some point? Virtually all D Cubed based products have this constraint - from Solidworks to Alibre. It IS very useful for a lot of design activities.

Mike

Message 9 of 12

08-09-2010 10:57 . am | View his/her posts only
I understand that we have recently incorporated the latest 2D DCM and 3D DCM. The functionality that would give us the "Offset Constraint" is there but has not been implemented into VX/ZW3D yet. I would anticipate seeing this in a future revision.

OldForumPost

Message 10 of 12

08-09-2010 11:31 . am | View his/her posts only
I agree that an offset contraint should be implemented in the sketcher.

Don't forget that some of modeling features like, extrude, revolve and sweep have options for offseting the profile/sketch when modeling. If you can avoid the work in the sketcher the parametrics will be much more reliable.
- Shrink/Expand
- Thicken (different 1st and 2nd offset values)
- Thicken Same

Many of you are already aware of these options, but sometimes we get into certain work habits or are influenced by limitations of other software we use and simply forget about some of these slick little tools.

Paul

Message 11 of 12

13-09-2010 02:47 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Jarrod,
you are correct for modelling.
But here is where sketcher gets used sometimes -by me a lot.
I do all the dimensional relationship figuring out in dynamic all singin'n dancin' sketch/s which have to show as much detail as required to determine just how far/close things can get. So the parallel constraint would be really nice to have.

As would other things like auto dimension! e.g. draw a circle/line etc and it's dimension was there! wow.
Some objects do it - rectangles for instance, but otherwise, it's auto manual! Oops, really another thread altogether...

Paul

Message 12 of 12

14-09-2010 06:54 . pm | View his/her posts only
When you use the geometry/Line/Parallel at offset distance, sketcher inserts the parallel constraint nicely but does not add the offset dimension.
IMO adding the offset dimension automatically would be a significant enhancement as it is always less effort to delete or toggle type than to add.
Is there s reason the dimension not auto added?
See also