CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Transmagic Install questions....

Transmagic Install questions....

Paul

Message 1 of 14

Transmagic Install questions....
15-12-2010 12:17 . am | View his/her posts only
I have Z3 running with my new dongle and it is sweet.
However I seem to come to halt with Transmagic.

I have applied for a License Key. (BTW - ZW3D was not on the website option box for Vendor)
Apparently providing a key is not an automated process. In the 36 hours since I applied I have not had any communication from Transmagic.
When I click on Transmagic/Install it should either open it of take me to the website if not registered. It does neither.

Questions:
There is no comment about registering Transmagic so Am I doing the right thing? or have I installed it the wrong way around.
How long should it take to get a KEY?

Mike

Message 2 of 14

15-12-2010 05:53 . am | View his/her posts only
Paul,

What license key did you apply for? You only get an "activation code" for ZW3D. There is no license for TransMagic.

Since you said you have ZW3D running with a dongle I will assume that you are now off track. Did you download the TransMagic code from the ZW3D web site? You should simply just need to install it. You should not have to register. You do not need a license.

daved

Message 3 of 14

15-12-2010 12:17 . pm | View his/her posts only
Good afternoon Paul and Mike,

I have transmagic up and running. If I remember right, I started the download from the ZW website, which sent me to the Transmagic Websidte to down load the software.

After installing it, a registration box with a code in it opened, but not a license code. When I hit the registration button, it sent me to the Transmagic website, which told me I had to open and account with Transmagic. I did have some problems creating the account in the beginning, the first time I tried, it never opened the account. I didn't hear anything from Transmagic. I re-registered an account directly on their website, opened Transmagic, hit the register button, logged on my account, and had an email with the code within and hour.

Paul, if you haven't heard from them, have you created a transmagic account. If not, do so, if you have, try re-creating it.

Daved

Paul

Message 4 of 14

15-12-2010 01:05 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Daved,
my experience is the same as yours except it took approx 48hrs to get my license key, which I now have.(May they spent that time trying to find out where New Zealand is?)

Mike, it may just be a lack of information or mis interpretation on my part.

When I open Transmagic, in the menu, the 3 options, Import, Export, Install exist. The Install should indicate if it is already installed as per the information alluding to that. In the absence of that feedback I 'assumed' it wasn't installed hence my questions....

So now Daved and I have both a Z3 install and a stand alone Transmagic...

I suggest that there could be an option to install Transmagic at installation time so it all happens in auto.
Cheers

Mike

Message 5 of 14

15-12-2010 03:16 . pm | View his/her posts only
I have been told you do not have to register. The previous threads on the subject tried to indicate that TransMagic is "included" and is "free". The "included" part may have been wrong since there was a separate download.

Everyone seems to be getting different results. Jarrod Schmidt said he was prompted to install a separate routine for Inventor. I never saw this.

I also did not see a prompt to register with TransMagic but like I said, this was not necessary.

Now I did have Transmagic installed previously with a separate license. Before I installed SP1 I deleted TransMagic but I am now assuming my license was still intact and may have precluded me from these additional prompts.

Please, remember the negotiations to include TransMagic came down to the wire and we did not get a lot of testing time. The install should become more automatic in SP2.

I do not know what the Install button under "Applications > TransMagic" is for. It will probably go away.

daved

Message 6 of 14

15-12-2010 04:17 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Mike,

I also saw the note on a separate addin for Inventor. I didn't install it as I don't deal with Inventor. I can be downloaded later if required. I was contacted by a Transmagic representative to see if everything was okay. He told me he had just received an e-mail regarding ZW of Friday of last week, so this is new for them.

Just an FYI, as Paul pointed out, it took 48 hours for him to get his code. 24 to 48 hours is the norm after you set up an account and register your install.

I would like to be able to access Transmagic from inside VX and automatically import a Transmagic generated import file (currently for ZW it is an iges file) in a single set of operations. As near as I can tell, currently I open a Solidworks (for me right now) part or assembly in Transmagic, evaluate, and repair the file if necessary, save it as an iges file, then go back to ZW and import it using the import process.

I have only worked a little bit with it, spending my time mostly with the tutorials, I think it will be a good add-in for us, and I for one would like to thank ZW for this.

Daved

ChrisWard2k2

Message 7 of 14

15-12-2010 10:39 . pm | View his/her posts only

Hello chaps - All a bit confusing, mostly because the ZW3D install expects TransMagic to be installed first, but doesn't tell you that. However, installing TM after ZW3D also works. Not sure if the TM forms should appear in File/Import-Export, they are not there in my install. However, they can be found in Applications/TransMagic.

daved

Message 8 of 14

16-12-2010 12:15 . am | View his/her posts only
Thanks Chris,

Importing a Solidworks part through the Transmagic application in ZW worked great. I am not sure how verification will actually work, as data integrity verification is one of the strengths of Transmagic. The other area I still haven't experimented with is assemblies and how assemblies will be broken up into indificual parts prior ti import using the application.

Dave

OldForumPost

Message 9 of 14

16-12-2010 12:32 . am | View his/her posts only
Dear all, you don't need to add the license from Transmagic company, since it is specified to ZW3D without any license, after you install Transmagic , all of the supported format can be found from File
Hi, Mike, why is there a transmagic from the Application menu?
It is for the customers who want to buy transmagic license with additional functions, in this special case, they can still install their separate license to ZW3D.

OldForumPost

Message 10 of 14

16-12-2010 12:39 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi, Daved, it take a lot of time to download the unnecessary .net framework, that is the problem, we are working to fix it by silent installation. It might take a little more time for test, and coming with the next patch.

daved

Message 11 of 14

16-12-2010 05:11 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Colin,

It sounds like what I have installed is not the the ZW add-in for TransMagic, but rather an evaluation copy of TransMagic Expert. I don't know if this will be expiring and have to be replaced with the ZW add-in, or even how the ZW add-in will compare feature wise.

I finally looked around a little more and imported an assembly and found it was imported as an assembly with all the individual parts in the feature manager panel which could be dealt with on an individual basis. Iin the assembly window three of the parts would select as an individual component. As such, if I go into the individual parts and work on them, the assembly updates correctly.

So things seem to be working well from the ZW side of things.

When I open the application menu and select TransMagic, there are three selections. Import, Export, Install TransMagic. I don't know what this last selection does.

As always, your input is always helpful.

Reades,

Dave

OldForumPost

Message 12 of 14

17-12-2010 12:33 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Daved

For the moment, ZW3D and Transmagic are separate package, in case that you forget to download Transmagic to install, maybe that is the hint to download transmagic. By the way, you can also use File

daved

Message 13 of 14

20-12-2010 07:52 . am | View his/her posts only
Good Day All,

I just installed ZW3D Sp1 on my offsite computer and Transmagic downloaded from the ZW Website. Everything worked fine. I finally figured out about TM registration, I think. If I open TM from the Application drop down menu, there is not TM license issue. If I open TM outside of ZW, then I am requested to register the software with Transmagic, and get a license number.

I hope this helps with regard to any confusion of may have engendered earlier.

Have a great day (or night for those of you on the otherside of the world).

Daved

daved

Message 14 of 14

20-12-2010 08:35 . am | View his/her posts only
Well, It appears I spoke too soon. Transmagic export from the ZW3D Application only exports Catia V4,5, Hoops, and SAT. No Solidworks. It looks like I may have to register and see if I can get a license afterall. Import seems to be doing fine.

Daved
See also