cutter

Message 1 of 11

31-03-2011 10:18 . am | View his/her posts only
I have a few questions RE direct edit. Please see attached. Is there a way to put dimensions on the part and edit them right there by changing values? When I try to delete a feature, say a corner round I am left with an opening with no face. What I am used to is the feature is removed and the software automatically recognises the two planes used to derive the corner round and gives me back my old pre corner round shape. Can this be done in ZW? Lets say I have a series of tapped holes that are created as a single feature. Is there a way to click on one of the holes and be able to edit them all to a different size or depth without having to go back to the history tree and a regen there?

Thanks Dave D for the heads up on where to look. I will not have a lot of time to play with this for a while but I will say that what I am seeing so far should be a big boost to ZW's capabilities. I will probably wait until there are good tutorials and documentation out there before I make serious efforts to learn.

I have found with SE that direct editing is huge and it is my hope that ZW will implement their version as well as SE has. It takes time to get there though and I am just happy to see it arrive here.

Dave

Message 2 of 11

31-03-2011 06:39 . pm | View his/her posts only
Cutter,

What I gave you was information in Quick Edit. "Smooth Flow Direct Edit" is apparently something else entirely. So far I haven't been able to find information on it. I have queried Mike Lynch about it, but still no information. If I here anything, I'll post it here, although hopefully ZW will share it with all of us first.

Dave D

Orchid

Super Moderator

Message 3 of 11

02-04-2011 03:47 . am | View his/her posts only
Dear all
ZW3D website has publiced the information about the new features and tutorial videos.
http://zw3d.zwcad.org/zw3d_2011_beta2_test.cfm
Anyone can download these documents to know and learn ZW3D2011 version.
What's New in ZW3D2011(PDF) Video Tutorials of ZW3D2011(PDF)

Paul

Message 4 of 11

03-04-2011 05:01 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Dave,
IN VX ,a simple part like your screen shot has always had the ability to show the dimensions and on screen edit. That is, you do not need to add them again. The update of course required a Regen.
The problem becomes much more difficult when the complexity goes up and there a many more dimensions available it just becomes a maze.
Removing a fillet is a potentially a 'simplify' task rather than a face edit. Use the right tools for the job. A hammer isn't always the right tool. Has been done in VX for some time.
You can edit a Feature by selecting it(set filter to feature), then RMB edit.
So I would say you have all these things in VX BUT without instant update.
Sometimes people fail to come to grips with the tools they have.
It's a bit like surfing. When you have a long-board, you have tendency to sit further out in the break thinking you can catch waves earlier 'cos of the board length which is in theory true. The reality is that there are always many more waves breaking closer in. So our view of things can be effected by where we position our mind in relation to the action.
A for instance: I have assisted number of VX users who have never understood how to constrain a sketch. Yet these people are attempting quite complex modeling. It all comes unstuck because right down at the basics, they missed elementary class.
Seems to me you need to know what is it you are trying to find out?
Cheers

cutter

Message 5 of 11

03-04-2011 01:01 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Paul,
Now that you mention it I remember. I guess my problems here sometimes are I wear to many hats. I look at the users that have the time and demand to use cad programs day in and day out and I am amazed at what they do. I will never be a true guru I suppose as my work does not require it and I just don't have the time to learn things that have no direct immediate purpose on my work. Lots of what I do is basic machine design with prismatic shapes and sheet metal and piping and assemblies so the really cool swoopy complex 3D is all yours.

My other problem is that with VX I stopped using cad almost 3 years ago for brand x and tools not used are forgotten. It is amazing to me how quickly I forgot tricks with VX and when I use it now I sometimes have to stop and think of how I did that before.

At this point in time my main interest in ZW is cam and since there is no lathe when I get my lathe later this year I will stop using that to. I probably ought to stop commenting on ZW as I am in all likelyhood not going to spend much time with it the way things look and just leave it to those who will be like you. VX was my first 3d modeler though and so I still will at least stand on the sidelines and see how you all do.

Paul

Message 6 of 11

24-05-2011 06:16 . pm | View his/her posts only
CONGRATULATIONS to ZW - 2011 appears to be released on time as stated some time back. I am sure there are a lot of bleary eyed folk there who have put in a great deal of effort. I am impressed.

So can we use 2011? or is it just for show?
I understand current users should be able to move to 2011 but need a new password.? A fresh explanation of the process would be helpful.

BRICKBATS
I hope the forum support is now able to improve. There seems to be a number of unanswered questions that only ZW support can answer. This seems an abysmal situation and hardly the sort of lack of interest a prospective of existing user wants to see open a public forum.

Another outstanding issues is the automated notification of new posts is broken. With out this feature functioning the forum becomes a outdated item very quickly. Maybe this explains the presence or absence of ghosts.

OldForumPost

Message 7 of 11

13-06-2011 01:15 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Paul

Thank you for your compliment, we hope that the customers will be happy to use ZW3D 2011, as it includes a lot of efforts involved by the whole company, and we are sure that most of the customer could have more funs in working with the new version.

For the upgrade procedure, it is easy to work as follows:
1) contact the local reseller for the upgrade, and the local reseller will confirm if it is free to charge
2) The local reseller will contact ZWSOFT, and then you will get the upgrade license from the local reseller

The only thing you need is just phone or Email the local reseller. More details about the upgrade operation could be found from following link: http://www.zwsoft.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=lists&catid=134

Sorry for the wrong setting of the forum, now we are working for the new website, we hope that new forum will be easier to use in the short future, which providing more useful functions.

Best regards

cutter

Message 8 of 11

13-06-2011 08:04 . am | View his/her posts only
Hey Paul, three weeks later your post is read!!!!!!

Paul

Message 9 of 11

23-06-2011 03:11 . pm | View his/her posts only
Ahhh............... that's the international time difference. The parallel universe is actually 3 weeks behind.
And it's taken me 2 weeks to see your post 'cos we are 50 weeks ahead here down under.
Damn, I just dribbled on my keyboard..... must be getting too old for this...

Mike

Message 10 of 11

24-06-2011 01:50 . pm | View his/her posts only
Guys,

I hope you will cut us a little slack. With responsibilities changing, support people traveling, vacation and such, not to mention the language barriers; Tennessee English, New Zealand English and just plain "Merican", I'm sure it is not easy for the new guys to read these posts.

We do have some technical issues to get past. The email notification has stopped working. That is currently being worked on.

Paul

Message 11 of 11

28-06-2011 03:19 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Mike,
NOTHING personal, but the little slack is actually the BIG slack on behalf of VX/ZW or who ever re the broken notification on this forum.
It's like someone stole the engine from the thing. It needs an engine big time.
This should be VERY HIGH priority so ZW people can actually be in touch with customers etc.
What is worse than asking on the forum only to be ignored 'cos no one knows your'e there.... ????

Either fix this one or set up another. At least do something!
Cheers
See also