CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > How do you think of the Direct-Edit modeling

How do you think of the Direct-Edit modeling

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 9

How do you think of the Direct-Edit modeling
21-06-2011 08:31 . pm | View his/her posts only
With the new Direct-Edit modeling in ZW3D 2011, both history-based and imported models can be affected. With this integration, it is easy to modify the non-history based data, (move features, offset faces, add draft, edit holes and fillets, etc) furthermore, on history based models you can modify the data without regening the history.
"Direct-Edit" is new in ZW3D, and we appreciate it if you can give us any feedback, and we will work to enhancement the product in future releases.

Mike

Assistant Engineer

Message 2 of 9

26-12-2012 10:55 . am | View his/her posts only
I think it is great and a very useful tool I am having trouble with controlling it. I have looked on this site and found no tutorial for it.A video would be nice.I will say, in all the videos the instructor moves the mouse to fast for getting the new concept. 2012 sp2 is to me much more powerful. The draft icon just for one and I can see many more.From 2011 to 2012 sp2 the interface has been changed for the good but takes time to get use too.Moving the mouse slower or stop on the command (icon). I have been with VX-ZW since verision 9.41.I am ready to upgrade to 2012 sp2 from Thornton Technical Services

cutter

Message 3 of 9

29-12-2012 08:24 . am | View his/her posts only
You have rudimentary direct editing at best. Go to Youtube and look at videos from Solid Edge or Spaceclaim or NX. It is confusing and unpredictable and pretty well just a toy compared to what I use in SE. You guys have been shown what others are doing with it and you know the hurdles you have to jump. All I can say is that good direct editing seems to be a very difficult thing to implement well and every company who does so spends a lot of time and money to get it right. Are you guys willing and capable of doing so considering that you were supposed to get 64 bit fixed to for 2013?

cutter

Message 4 of 9

31-12-2012 03:00 . am | View his/her posts only
Mike,
Don't know why I missed this but you are referring to Earl Thornton? You have a great CAM support guy there and unlike the Chinese support you can pick up a phone and get results quickly. Earl has never let me down and he was the one that got me on board with V9 to. He is not real strong in CAD though and that is where the new owners getting rid of Mike Lynch really screwed it up for USA users. Last time I talked to him he thought the direct editing in ZW seemed pretty useless and I had to agree.

cuttin9864

Message 5 of 9

31-12-2012 09:16 . pm | View his/her posts only
Post Last Edit by cuttin9864 at 2012-12-31 21:18

Reply 1# zw_admin

HI
I think Direct-Edit is useful for me,but I really still have some questions about it! Well ,I have the same obfuscation as Cutter, such as ,is it be really used in my working-field? Is it the function that I was expected for?
But it is the truth that you guys have tried to do it, I will continue to focus my eyes on it.And if it is succsful,I will be very glad that I will get a better way to deal with my work,and ,if it is failed ,I think it is benifit for you also.

cutter

Message 6 of 9

01-01-2013 06:33 . am | View his/her posts only
Cuttin,
To clarify I do almost 100% of my CAD design in Synchronous Tech in SE and it is direct editing for MCAD. I would not go back to straight parametric for anything. ZW does not have direct editing worth a flip and if you are basing your idea of direct editing usefulness on what ZW gives you it is a mistake to do so. There are some basic features here but no real power to transform how you work.

cuttin9864

Message 7 of 9

01-01-2013 07:16 . pm | View his/her posts only
oh,thanks to Cutter!

I just want to know the new function that how it works,I am curious for it,because it is a new one.During my past life of working,I use ZW3D every day,including his good or bad functions.I knew it well,and I think there guys will not joking to the real end-users!

So ,I will expect to know how it works!

And Cutter ,you know something? ZW3D is a tool,like the other tools of mine, the most important thing is the way how you will use it.The function is good or bad ,It is depand on your way first.

cutter

Message 8 of 9

04-01-2013 09:37 . am | View his/her posts only
Yes and no. A screw driver will install a screw. A screw gun will too only 100 times faster and you can do many more in a days time. How efficiently the tool works should also be considered.

cuttin9864

Message 9 of 9

05-01-2013 04:01 . pm | View his/her posts only
Reply 8# cutter

Cutter, You are right,I agree with you strongly!
See also