CAD/CAM discussion forum > CAD > crashes and crashes and crashes, Oh my...

crashes and crashes and crashes, Oh my...

Tim

Message 1 of 18

crashes and crashes and crashes, Oh my...
29-06-2011 08:41 . am | View his/her posts only
Today, both my colleague Alex and I have had several crashes, which, while crashes are not unusual, having 4 or 5 on two seperate machines in less than 5 hours is a bit strange! My machine flashed up this:-

Run time error!

Program: C:Program FilesWSOFTW3D 2010 Enginzw3dmain.exe

R6025

-pure virtual function call

If this means anything to anyone, I'd be interested in their comments!

Back to work, and thanks in advance,

Tim

Dan

Message 2 of 18

12-07-2011 11:55 . am | View his/her posts only
Tim,

May I ask why do you post in CAM these sort of crashing?

Dan

OldForumPost

Message 3 of 18

13-07-2011 09:08 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Tim
This is Roy from Zw3D support team.
About your problem I think it may caused by the compatibility of conputer with ZW3D.
So could you tell us what kind of configuration does your computer have , what kind of Os are you using, and whcih version of Zw3D are you using?

Roy
--------------
Zw3D support team
Email: zw3d@zwcad.com

Factorytuned

Message 4 of 18

15-07-2011 01:31 . pm | View his/her posts only
2010 Premium SP1 product:

Yep I get similar faults. Crashes on a regular basis. If I'm not explicit in exactly what I'm doing or testing tool paths or place a piece of geometry wrong. Boom ZW3D is gone, no error, except in the system error log. While setting up a Frame for milling a pocket on a circular object weird stuff in my attempts to optimize the path, and in picking geometry. ZW3D bypasses errors and goes straight to crash! Spent most of Tuesday working around ZW3D restarts. I stopped colleting info on crashes, just too many. Mike Lynch and Randy Biebel have been privy to and had conversations with me regarding this. Issues are unresolved. I simply have to watch what I'm doing and be careful to save regularly.

So my question: Is there going to be anymore VALUE ADDED Support for 2010 beyond SP1 or is it now abandoned for 2011?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Platform:

Server 2K3R2 Standard 32bit
Intel SC5400LX Chassis HSRP
S5000XSL Main Board
Matched Pair 5080 Xeons
4Gig FBDIMM ECC
360 Gig SCSI RAID5 DISK Array across 10 disks(SRCU42E with BBC)
Nvidia Quadro FX3450
All firmware, CPU Microcode , and Drivers are current.

Jeff

Tony_ZWSOFT

Message 5 of 18

17-07-2011 09:57 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Jeff
I'm sorry to hear that.
Could you tell me what is the OS and does the crashes happen frequently? Do you have this kind of problem with another software?
We hope to fix the problem and we need your help, any details is very helpful.

Tony Tan
ZW3D support team
Email: zw3d@zwcad.com

Factorytuned

Message 6 of 18

18-07-2011 10:24 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Tony:

System specs are under -PLATFORM- in the previous post.

1) Could you tell me what is the OS and does the crashes happen frequently?
A: Server 2003-R2 32bit STD - System does not crash randomly. The faults occur in ZW3D, but do not adversely effect the OS.
I simply restart ZW3D and continue on with another attempt in a different manner. Clearing the session and caches if applicable.

2) Do you have this kind of problem with another software?
A: No! This is a very solid system. My other ENG apps do not exhibit regular faults.

3) We hope to fix the problem and we need your help, any details is very helpful.
S: Me too and hope I can be!!

I will generally go back and recreate the particular anomaly several times to confirm it is not random. That way I can work around them. I would say 99% of the faults I can recall are recreatable.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

Tony_ZWSOFT

Message 7 of 18

18-07-2011 10:53 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Jeff,
Thank you for your feedback. I have recreated the crash in my computer and have recorded it in the PCR. The ID is 252.
I would follow up it, if I have any solution I would contact you by email ASAP.

Tony Tan

Tim

Message 8 of 18

20-07-2011 04:29 . am | View his/her posts only
Hy guys,
further to my first post, I have been in touch with Roy ref our system, but for general reference the details are:-

It is an HP xw6600 Workstation, running Windows XP Pro, version 2002 with Service Pack 3. It has 3.25Gb of RAM, has an Intel Xeon E5420 CPU @ 2.5 Ghz. If you need any more info on the PC, do let me know. It is connected to our server and has automatic Windows updates set, so it should be up to date. I reqularly (once a week at least) clean the machine with CCleaner, and that helps a great deal.

ZW version is ZW3D 2010 SP1 (V14.7) I do have the demo of 2011 installed, but I havent had a chance to try it out yet, we have been very busy for the last few months!

We have 2 licences of ZW in our workshop, to run 2 Datron CNC machines. They are fantastically useful machines, and are always in use, so any problems with them, or ZW software, has a big impact on our business. Usually things are OK, but we do seem to have many more issues with ZW than all our other software packages combined. Other programs we use all the time on these machines include Solidworks, Rhinoceros (my favourite!) Coreldraw, Illustrator, as well as the usual Office and Open Office software, Firefox etc. Nothing weird, and most importantly, nothing that crashes or locks up anywhere near as much as ZW. In fact I can't remember the last time Rhino caused a similar problem, even the v5 Beta we are running!

This particular issue has only happened to once, and as it did actually produce an error report, I thought it was worth report. Usually, it goes 'Splat' and I am staring at my desktop..... This usually happens half way through a verification run, but it can happen elsewhere too.

I must say the latest 2010 version is much better than the versions we had previously, and when we started using it 5 years ago, we almost gave up on it, so I am pleased there have been some massive improvements since then, but there is a way to go yet. I'd rather these issues were sorted completely, before any 'new' stuff was added!! I don't need new stuff! I need a program that I can rely on, and at the moment ZW is still very 'fragile'.

Hope this helps,

Tim
www.kinneirdufort.cm

Tony_ZWSOFT

Message 9 of 18

20-07-2011 10:29 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Tim,
Yes, it is very helpful for us. Thank you.^-^
I think solving the problems what the users facing in the real work is a good way to improve the software. So, please feel free to contact us when you found any problem. (Our technical support team eamil address is zw3d@zwcad.com ) And I think you could understand that the more detailed would be more helpful for us to figure the problems out. such as screenshots, videos...
About the solid verify, I have found that it would crash when finishing the 5axis tool-paths verify. I have record it in the PCR, the ID is 256. If you have any more information about the crash of verification. Please let us konw and send the related files to us.
Any suggestion or comment is highly appreciated.
Thank you again for your support.

Tony Tan
2011/7/21

Factorytuned

Message 10 of 18

23-07-2011 01:16 . pm | View his/her posts only
I was working today on drill operations, placing "holes" or picking holes is more appropriate. I had been running 3D for I guess hour and a half. When it came time to do the drill peck operations ZW wouldn't "use" the selected holes. It was strange, no matter what I did it would not use the hole selections.

I went back and re-did the geometry from scratch. Still would not let me use the hole selections, no matter what I tried. It dawned on me that it was not working correctly. It's in a fault loop of some sort. But I was not getting crashes or odd errors, BUT JUST, that I needed to pick hole geometry, or some proper feature, etc.. In the message dialogue. Okay! So no matter how I answered it's request she no worky, even though it was selecting "highlighting" and recognizing the geometry as holes. No go. Guessing we're clear on this. :-)

Major time waster. But I came away with two tidbits. So I saved the work, closed ZW, killed the lic manager etc., just killed all ZW related modules. I did not restart the system, just logged off and logged back on.

Fresh start of ZW3D and the operation worked the first time.!
Here it is again in another form! I have seen this many times, but thought it was ME! Perhaps something I was missing..

So my advise to those who are questioning, "why is this not working",..????

1) If it seems like it should be working and it is not, then it probably should be working. Or, if you did it before, and it's not working again, it probably should be.

2) Restart the system, or at least kill all the related ZW3D apps, log off and log back on.

While ZW3D did not crash it was in a fault state without error regarding anything was wrong. It may as well have crashed because it caused me to re-do my work and abruptly stop.

Jeff

Abhradeep

Message 11 of 18

31-05-2012 03:59 . pm | View his/her posts only
I am also having crash problems
slighly different when I preview a cad drawing it crashes says sth like zwcad is unable to continue.
It also have some problems with printing via PDF or normal plotter,etc

William

Top Influencer

Message 12 of 18

31-05-2012 05:17 . pm | View his/her posts only
Reply 11# Trendn3311

Hi Trendn, in face,if you notice the time, it's the old question which has been solved. If you meet the crash question in ZWCAD, you can go to ZWCAD forum and submit your questions.:lol

Paul

Message 13 of 18

01-06-2012 08:01 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Guys,
still on 2010! I am NOT a CAM user so I have NO experience with crashes from that end.
However I think 2011 is the most stable version ever by a long way. It is much better than 2010. It's filleting is vastly improved and hardly ever crashes. It is a much more enjoyable experience than any previous versions. The move from 2010 to 2011 is the least effort change over too. On some big complex models you might need to regen manually and tweak one of two things, but otherwise it seems to handle everything a lot better. Top down design is a very robust.

However just recently I had a problem where the sketcher screen would go black and I could not see anything except the dimension arrow heads.
The resolution was to uninstall and reinstall Z3. It seems that it is possible for some of the program bits to get damaged some how.
So if a full reboot does not cure the problem, and the problem seems ot have arrived rather than always been there, the re install path way may be an option.

IMO you should get 2011SP2 running and models stable before even contemplating 2012. I am looking forward to seeing how many issues SP1 resolves in 2012.
Cheers

William

Top Influencer

Message 14 of 18

01-06-2012 02:06 . pm | View his/her posts only
Reply 13# mudcrab

Hi mudcrab, thank you for your kindly suggestions. ZW3D 2012 SP1 will release next month, which have more than 30 new feature and solve 180 questions. We have been's goal is to provide high quality products, and has been trying to, I hope you can bring a good impression SP1.

Ronald

Message 15 of 18

12-06-2012 10:40 . pm | View his/her posts only
2011 was very stable. I have been running 2012 for about a month now and crashing has been worse then ever. I was saving my model the other day and ZW just shut down with no save, lost much work. Skecher pick for inlay was picking along and it quit picking all together. had to stop ZW and restart before it would start picking again.

Ronald

Message 16 of 18

13-06-2012 03:01 . am | View his/her posts only
Again, all day long program shutting down. I was copying a model and this came up: We are sorry to close the application because an exception happen! Do you want to save backup?... I said yes and program shut down before it could save.

Colin

Manager

Message 17 of 18

13-06-2012 05:30 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi, RonB

If the problem happens, could you please send me any crash file via zw3d@zwsoft.com,sometimes, the problem might happen in specified file, that is why if we could check the file. Of course, we will always keep it confidential for any of your file.

By the way, we are working on SP1, which will be probably released next week, which will enhance the stability.

Best regards
Colin

Factorytuned

Message 18 of 18

21-06-2012 10:24 . pm | View his/her posts only
Yep know how you feel. I had to stop working on a particular CAM plan because I simply could not save all the revisions in time to thwart the crashes. This led to the me starting thread on SP1.

Generally I get a Vis C++ runtime. But NOT ALL THE TIME.. Depends onm what I'm doing. Which led to me starting the thread on C++ runtime, which fell on deaf ears.

I cannot send the files. They are for automotive, and strictly confidencial.

Colin and team seem to on the customer service path. So we'll see.

Jeff
AKA - FT/Factorytuned.
See also