CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > ZW3D 2011 initial comments

ZW3D 2011 initial comments

David

Message 1 of 8

ZW3D 2011 initial comments
19-07-2011 09:12 . am | View his/her posts only
Hello all

Have finally made the switch over from VX 2009 (ver14.06) to ZW3D 2011.

Have only used ZW for a few hours so far and have a few comments to make about the programme (good and bad). Hopefully they may help make it an even better product in the future.

OK so the one good point I can think of / see right now is that the text size in a sketch scales as you zoom in and out. I really like this as in VX 2009 the text size stayed at the zoom ratio as when it was 'planted'. So sometimes the sketch screen would become very messy if you weren't careful with what size you placed dimension text at.

A couple of bad points.

POINT 1.
Really can't get on with the new tab images. Myself and my colleague (boss!) Mark both feel that a lot of clarity has been lost from the old VX tab images. Can see that they have tried to make a change as it is a 'new' programme but it looks as though someone has smeared vaseline over the original VX tab images! Blurry/unclear! The worst offenders in my opinion are:
> The insert datum image tabs. Compared to VX they are terrible and really not immediately clear which is which without running your mouse over them so that text comes up to tell you what it is.
> Undo/redo arrows and also refresh arrows
> Blank / unblank
> Most of the images with arrows in them (extrude, rod, draft etc).
> I also am not feeling the replay history tab images. It's not always immediately clear what can and can't be used.

For me, pausing to think about what the tab does I am actually clicking, or searching for a particular tab...well time is precious so that's where I think these images could be improved on. I'm not saying they are terrible, but for me they definitely could be improved on.

I have done some side by side comparison images of VX 2009 image tabs vs ZW3D 2011 image tabs. I will try to upload as they are interesting to look at and compare.

Maybe, over time, I will come to love these new tab images...but right now I'm not a fan at all.

POINT 2.
When you perform an operation, for example add a fillet. You are asked to choose an edge. You select your edge. Middle click to confirm edge. Then the only option you have left is middle click to finish the operation. Previously in VX 2009 once you had chosen your edge and middle clicked, the fillet radius you desired box would pop up automatically. Which you would then enter. Now in ZW3D 2011 once I have chosen my edge I have to drag my mouse over to the fillet radius box and enter it 'manually'. Again this takes an extra X amount of time that could easily be saved by going back to auto number box pop up system.

Hope my descriptions for points 1 and 2 have come across OK, may not have been great explanations!

Everything else is fine / great so far (so more than one good point!!). I'm sure more points may pop up over the next few months, but just wanted to supply some feedback for the time being.

Thanks!

David

David

Message 2 of 8

19-07-2011 09:16 . am | View his/her posts only
Here are the comparison images on the clarity issue...hope the attachment system has worked!

Tony_ZWSOFT

Message 3 of 8

20-07-2011 02:13 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi David
Thank you for you support and suggestions.
We will consider your proposal. any suggestion or comment is highly appreciated and it would be helpful for us to improve ZW3D.

Tony Tan
ZW3D technical support team

David

Message 4 of 8

20-07-2011 05:07 . am | View his/her posts only
Thanks for the response Tony.

Going back to my Point 2, I don't think I described it very well, so here is another go at it. I actually just submitted this problem and description as a PCR to my local reseller.

So here it is...

In VX when, for example, you added a fillet the operations would be as follows:
1. Pick edge.
2. Middle click.
3. Enter radius box pops up. Enter radius.
4. Middle click.
5. Review and confirm edge and fillet choices by middle clicking again.

Now in ZW 2011 points 3 and 4 have been taken out. So now if you want to enter the radius you have to 'manually' drag the mouse cursor over to the fillet box enter a figure.

If we could bring back the 'auto pop up radius box' it would be great.

This seems to happen on any feature operation that requires a dimension.

Hope this description is more clear!

Thanks

David

Tony_ZWSOFT

Message 5 of 8

20-07-2011 10:42 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi David,
Thank you for your clear explanation.^-^

Tony Tan

Paul

Message 6 of 8

05-08-2011 06:59 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi David, gotta agree with you about the ICON - as a user we want clarity and distinction as well as fuction indication.
3D'ifying small icons seldom adds any of these, so while it is different IMO it is not better and as engineers we want better before we want different.

David

Message 7 of 8

10-08-2011 08:36 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Paul, thanks for the agreement - I thought at first my comments might have sounded 'petty' or like someone who is resistant to change...but I do feel strongly about the icons. Seems like change for change's sake. Certain icons can be frustrating and time consuming to figure out what they mean / do...we are only talking about seconds of time wasted, but it all adds up!

Colin

Manager

Message 8 of 8

12-07-2012 09:16 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi, David

Thanks for bringing this post to the discussion, now more of the feedback have been added to the new ZW3D 2012

Point1, the instant mini help prompts one you move your mouse across the icon
1) Undo/Redo doesn't refresh the icon any more, it should have been fixed in ZW3D 2011 SP1
2) Blank and Unblank shows the explanation
3)Most of the image has been redesigned, why it shows the arrow as it is the idea to distinguish the direction of the path
4) The reply/play has been simplified, as the 'Step into history' has been added to the reply icon

Point2, the fillet stuff has been enhanced a lot. in ZW3D 202, the shortcut customization is available, if I use the shortcut or clicking the image icon, I could do it as the same as ZW3D 2010, I agree with the point you mentioned, it is much more faster to use the shortcut together.

Once I right-click the edge, there are different choices for me to add the fillet, chamfer or draft, which is the new stuff. Because the filter has been enhanced a lot, therefore, there are more stuff I could add to the right-click or middle-click button.

If I middle-click the edge, it prompts the fillet, but I could not scroll the middle-button to change the value quickly, that is the one we should enhanced in the next release.

Best regards
Colin
See also