CAD/CAM discussion forum > CAD > export 3D oject to STL format

export 3D oject to STL format

Subscribe Topic

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 8

03-11-2009 09:28 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hello,

I need to export a 3D object to STL format for import into a FEM package.
I have installed the SYCODE plugin for STL export, the plugin seems to load correctly. I have the ZWcad 2008i.

My 3D object is a closed polyline (consisting of line segments with radii and chamfers) that is revolved 360

Lars

Message 2 of 8

04-11-2009 12:13 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Ken,

update your ZWCAD to ver.2009i. Then it should work.

OldForumPost

Message 3 of 8

04-11-2009 12:35 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello,

I have installed the 2009i trial version.
To keep the geometry as simple as possible, I have created a square closed polyline, and revolved it around the Y-axis. The result is a ring with a square cross section.
When I use the revolve command, this results in a 3Dsolid object, the revsurf command results in a body object.

The plugin reads 3D faces, polyface mesh and polygon mesh objects so I need to get from the revolved polyline to these object types one way or another.

Thanks for taking care,
Ken

OldForumPost

Message 4 of 8

04-11-2009 03:27 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
From the manual, pdf page 151 (=p142)
http://download.zwcad.org/down/down/Tutorial%20-%20Mastering%20ZWCAD.pdf

%%%%%%%%%%%%

Create Revolved Surfaces
Use REVSURF command to create a surface of revolution by rotating a profile of the object about an axis. The object to be revolved can be a line, arc, circle, ellipse, elliptical arc, closed polyline, polygon, closed spline or torus. REVSURF is useful for surfaces with rotational symmetry.
You can create a surface of revolution, which is a three dimensional polygon mesh that approximates the surface generated by rotating a two dimensional profile around an axis.
You select the two objects that define the profile and the axis. You also specify the starting angle and the number of degrees to revolve the profile.
Revolving the profile 360 degrees creates a closed three dimensional mesh. The Number Of M Direction Surfaces value determines the mesh density (the number of mesh segments) in the M direction (around the axis of revolution). The N Direction Mesh Density value determines the mesh density (the number of mesh segments) in the N direction (along the axis of revolution).

To create a revolved surface mesh:
1 Choose Draw > Surfaces > Revolved Surface.
2 Select the object to revolve.
3 Select the object to be used as the axis of revolution.
4 Specify the starting angle.
5 Specify the number of degrees to revolve the object.

%%%%%%%%%%%%

The problem is that this is NOT resulting in a 'polygon mesh' object, but a 'body' object!!!

Thanks,
Ken

Lars

Message 5 of 8

Please post your file to my e-mail - thanks.

OldForumPost

Message 6 of 8

04-11-2009 10:01 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi,

file was sent this morning.

Best regards,
Ken

Lars

Message 7 of 8

Hi Ken,

Sorry for the late response. Now i see what you mean. There is no
solution available for this problem. You can't convert the body to
faces.

I found a lisp that works for this purpose in ACAD. But it doesn't
work right now in ZWCAD. But maybe i can make it run in ZWCAD.

I'll keep you informed.

dang xuan nguyen

Message 8 of 8

04-10-2011 11:41 . am   |   View his/her posts only
An STL file saves object data in a format used for stereolithography. STL files have a file-name extension of .stl. There is an ASCII STL format as well as a binary STL format. You can choose which to create when you export a 3ds max scene.
STL files are generally used for purposes of rapid prototyping. A variety of methods use the STL format to construct prototypes. For example, many STL machines use a liquid polymer and harden it in small slices, creating a solid plastic model. Other STL machines use metal powder to create a model in steel. Still other machines use a special wax.
An STL object must define a complete and closed surface. You can check whether the geometry you want to export satisfies this criterion by using the STL Check modifier.
You can also import STL files. See Importing STL Files.

gold coast rental car hire
manufacturing companies
See also
X