CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Version 8.1 Install changes

Version 8.1 Install changes

Subscribe Topic

Mike

Message 1 of 4

Version 8.1 Install changes
11-06-2003 08:44 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Dear VXers,

I don't want to steal anyone's thunder (Olaf) but I hear that there will be a change to the Installation procedure in 8.1.

Immediately after accepting the license agreement, the user will be faced with a major decision: "Minimal Install", Typical Install" or "Custom Install"

We are hoping that new customers choose "Typical". It will automatically load the software, documentation, User Directory (User8.1) and shortcut to the desktop.

PS Thanks Olaf

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 4

16-06-2003 10:08 . am   |   View his/her posts only

I think it is unwise to install our software to drive C without getting the User to think about it first. There are a lot of PCs out there with the C drive still using FAT format and thus they are limited to a 2GB partition. Invariably the OS and the pagefile already occupy a lot of that space so even if there is room on the partition for our stuff, it could cause a degradation of system performance.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 4

17-06-2003 08:25 . am   |   View his/her posts only

Other thoughts.

As part of this project, can we modify the licence file structure? A re-occurring problem the customers have is where things go wrong with multiple license strings (for multiple versions of VX) in the same file. When this happens, the User is left with no VX at all until an AE rescues them. I suggest we have one licence file per VX, per User.

It would be great if the images seen during the install illustrated the new functionality of the version.

Mike

Message 4 of 4

25-08-2003 01:04 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
As it turned out, the user is shown the default directory for loading the software as well as the USER directory as we did before. If they want to load on D: they can do that easily. I get a lot fewer calls on installs now.

Thanks again Olaf.
See also
X