CAD/CAM discussion forum > CAD > Layers visible in viewports, freeze layers in viewport

Layers visible in viewports, freeze layers in viewport

Subscribe Topic

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 14

Layers visible in viewports, freeze layers in viewport
29-11-2010 09:27 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I am not certain how this is supposed to work. Or, if it can.
But, I would like to have many layers invisible on the model tab and have them show up one only in each paperspace viewport.
ie. Dimensions, Notes, etc. on separate hidden/off layer in modelspace but visible/on when using the layout tab for plotting.

Is this possible..??
And, if so, please explain how.

OldForumPost

Message 2 of 14

30-11-2010 12:54 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Damo,

Do you mean you want to do following things?

Such as, you have 10 layers in model space, and you want to show this 10 layers into 10 layouts , and each layout only show 1 of them, for plotting. Am I right?

If so, it's simple. Now, don't concern about how it display in model space. Go to layout, create a new viewport, and double click inside to activate it, then open Layer Property Manager, here select all the layers you DO NOT want to display in this viewport and select "Freeze in current viewport", then all these layers will disappear in this viewport, and it won't affect other viewports.

Do this to every layout and viewport as you like, maybe a little troublesome, but it works.

OldForumPost

Message 3 of 14

30-11-2010 05:41 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Ahhhh..
Daniel ... Again you've proven to be very helpful.
You are correct, it is a little troublesome (especially retro-fixing older dwg with LOTS of layers) but it does work.
That is the main thing.

I'm getting better at this , with your help of course.
Thanks again mate.

OldForumPost

Message 4 of 14

01-12-2010 02:12 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hehe, really glad to hear that it helps you.

Keep going~Wink

OldForumPost

Message 5 of 14

21-12-2010 08:02 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Ok... So that works a treat.

It makes it possible to have only the layers I wish to be visible in separate viewports. (Without having to turn them on & off accordingly)
Now what I would like to know is if it is possible to have those layers I wish to be visible in separate viewports,
but, have SOME of those same layers invisible on the modelspace tab.
ie. Dimensions for one component on a separate layer from said component and that dim layer visible in the viewport but hidden on the modelspace tab.
(As I usually do most dimensioning within the layout viewports anyway).

I tried "freeze" and "turn off for display", (in the modelspace). Both of those features then hide that layer in the viewports also.

Can this be achieved? (It would be VERY handy)

OldForumPost

Message 6 of 14

22-12-2010 07:09 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Damo, you always come up with such ideas to challange my ZWCAD skills, don't you? ok, just a joke...since I always happy to help.

So what you are trying to do this time, is to make some layers can be seen on layout, but invisible in model space, right? I'm afraid this maybe impossible for layers. But there is a way around.

The trick is, if you want to show something only in layout, then you can do it just in layout. What does it mean? You know, for a viewport in layout, it always shows what is visible in model, so if you can't see a thing in model, then nothing will be in viewport, in another word, what you draw in a viewport will certainly be seen in model. To avoid it, you go to layout, but don't go into a viewport, don't double click to activate the viewport, just make dimension out of the viewport. If you draw things in layout without activating a viewport, then those things will only be in this layout, so you won't see it in model...

Is it a too long reply? Indeed it's just a simple action, haha, hope you understand what I'm saying and also hope this workaround helps.

Regards.

OldForumPost

Message 7 of 14

22-12-2010 08:15 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Thanks Daniel

I love to push the boundaries... Besides, surely it's impossible to provide a "real" challenge for your ZWCAD skills.

I now understand that what I asked is not possible.
The workaround you have suggested is the alternative that I have been doing. I always put the title block, notes, etc. there anyway.

But, I find sometimes dimensions don't always work out right with this method.
Firstly the snaps can be a little ... irregular in this mode. More importantly,
occasionally the dimension will give the distance on the "Layout"rather than the through the (inactive) viewport to the "Modelspace".
Not always, just frustrating sometimes. (Am I making sense here?)

That said, your suggestion is the only way to achieve my desired end result.

Thanks again Mate..

Ps. Merry Xmas.. (for those who celebrate it) and a Happy/Safe New Year to all

OldForumPost

Message 8 of 14

22-12-2010 09:21 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

Yes, Damo, we know that there is a problem about dimension in layout. The dimension will get the value in layout that is not the same as in model space, which is the real value.

This problem happen because of the Viewport scale, if you select a viewport (not activate it, just select it), you will see its scale from the Property box, if it is1:1, then dimension in layout will be the same as in model. but if it's not 1:1, such as 1:4, then the dimension value in layout will also become 1/4 of the real length in model. Indeed this problem has something to do with the Associated Dimesion feature.

But a workaround always exists, that is, select the wrong dimension, and change its Dim scale linear in Property box, too, according to the viewport scale. Means that if the viewport scale is 1:4 or 0.25, then just change the Dim scale linear to 4. Because 4 x 0.25 = 1, got it?

The problem ID is 15061 you can keep it for further inquery. It's under resolving now and I believe it will soon be fixed in next patch. Thanks for your understanding.

Merry Christmas and Happy new year to you and your family.

OldForumPost

Message 9 of 14

23-02-2011 11:42 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Ok... I'm back with another Layer/Viewport query...
I wish to know but have not yet discovered (probably easy and I am simply overlooking it)
My viewports are all setup as suggested above , only the necessary layers visible, but then I create a new layer and it immediately
(unless frozen in Modelspace), becomes visible in all existing viewports

When I create a new Layer, how can I stop it automatically appearing in ALL existing viewports?

Manually selecting applicable layers for new viewports is not difficult...
Searching back through the layouts and viewports to edit viewports to hide newly created layers is tedious..!

OldForumPost

Message 10 of 14

24-02-2011 12:22 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Damo, I'm not sure whether I understand you correctly.
So you want to freeze some existing layers in viewports, the only easiest way to do it, is to check the option"freeze in all viewports", while it will also be frozen in model space.
Another way, you have already known it, that is to check the option "freeze in new viewport"
Otherwise, I don't think there is any way else but do it one by one as you want.

OldForumPost

Message 11 of 14

24-02-2011 04:26 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Thanks Daniel.
What I mean is... Picture this scenario...
My drawing is almost finished, I have all my layouts along the bottom tabs,
I have several/many viewports in each layout tab, All viewports are set so as to display only the layers necessary in each viewport,
Now I need to add an extra component or show greater detail to an existing one.
I would like to use another layer to contain this new information.

Here is where my issue lies, when I create a new layer there is no way that I can see to stop the contents of that new layer
from being displayed inside every existing viewport in all layout tabs.
Then I must go back through EVERY viewport that will display the new layers contents,
(depending where in the modelspace it is), and modify the individual viewports to hide the contents of the new layer

Perhaps a checkbox when creating a new layer that allows a user to select
"Make layer frozen in existing viewports"

I hope this makes sense to you.

Thanks for reading my rambling monologue...

I don't know if any other CAD has this option. But I reckon they ought to...

OldForumPost

Message 12 of 14

28-02-2011 12:26 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I think I got you point, Damo.

I tried a whole day, but I couldn't have a better solution for this kind of demand. Maybe we should think about add such an option in ZWCAD as you suggested.

OldForumPost

Message 13 of 14

19-05-2011 09:39 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

[QUOTE=Damo]Thanks Daniel.
What I mean is... Picture this scenario...
My drawing is almost finished, I have all my layouts along the bottom tabs,
I have several/many viewports in each layout tab, All viewports are set so as to display only the layers necessary in each viewport,
Now I need to add an extra component or show greater detail to an existing one.
I would like to use another layer to contain this new information.

Here is where my issue lies, when I create a new layer there is no way that I can see to stop the contents of that new layer
from being displayed inside every existing viewport in all layout tabs.
Then I must go back through EVERY viewport that will display the new layers contents,
(depending where in the modelspace it is), and modify the individual viewports to hide the contents of the new layer

Perhaps a checkbox when creating a new layer that allows a user to select
"Make layer frozen in existing viewports"

I hope this makes sense to you.

Thanks for reading my rambling monologue...

I don't know if any other CAD has this option. But I reckon they ought to...

I think I got you point, Damo.

I tried a whole day, but I couldn't have a better solution for this
kind of demand. Maybe we should think about add such an option in ZWCAD
as you suggested.

Just a quick followup on this inquiry.
Has there been, or will there be, any update or patch for this issue?
(Preferably as a patch or add-in of some kind. No-one likes to re-install.)

"Freeze in All Viewports" is an option for new layers. But, that also hides it in modelspace. Unfreezing it then shows it in all existing viewports along the layout tabs. Not the desired result..!

Really would appreciate this as I would find it VERY useful..!

Thankyou.

Damo2011-05-19 21:46:24

OldForumPost

Message 14 of 14

24-05-2011 05:03 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Damo, this is Ivy, nice to meet you.

for the time being, there are no update for this requirement, we will keep close to it.

See more:
autocad create viewport
unlock viewport
max viewport
viewport freeze
See also
X