CAD/CAM discussion forum > CAD > Dimensions in Layout Paperspace..

Dimensions in Layout Paperspace..

Subscribe Topic

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 14

20-05-2011 01:25 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I have noticed a small issue with dimensioning in the Paperspace Layouts.

Mostly, any dimension that starts at the same point as another dimension will display the actual measurement of the paperspace,
NOT the dimension it ought to be in the modelspace through the viewport window..
i.e. instead of displaying a dim of 2200mm across the model, it shows a dim of 45mm across the paperspace.
This also happens every time I dimension from a circle or arc centre.
(only workaround for this I have found is to begin the dimension from another point then move the node to the required point.
And dimension circles and arcs from a quadrant, then move them to the centre. Both involve "double handling")

This issue is not crippling but it is a little time consuming.
Is there a fix or patch for this issue.
Or am I doing something wrong?

Thankyou..!

OldForumPost

Message 2 of 14

Dear Damo,

Sorry for my late reply, I just got back from my trip.

I know this problem did exist before, but I think we have fixed it in later version of updates. So which version are you using? please try to download the latest one to test.

OldForumPost

Message 3 of 14

G'day Daniel.
I am using Version: 2010.07.30(14725.422)

How do I find/get program updates within the software I currently have installed?

If the latest version is good and fixed, will I be able to use my same license?

OldForumPost

Message 4 of 14

You can try this one:

http://download.zwcad.com/en/Special/20100830/Update/ZWCAD2010EngUpdate_830.msi

Version: 2010.08.30(14725.441)
This is a patch for ZWCAD 2010, you can install it directly on your current ZWCAD.

I tested it in my side , the dimension in layout works fine.

OldForumPost

Message 5 of 14

Daniel. So, I can install this on top of my existing instal without changing any of my setup config, while keeping my license.??
63mb seems a lot for just a few dimension codes!?!
Please inform me of what else is in the patch?
I wish to be sure I'll not incur any other/worse problems..

OldForumPost

Message 6 of 14

Damo, of course this patch is not only for the dimension issue, it has fixed a lot of other bugs and been more stable than your 7.30 version. After installation, all of your config will be remained.

And it's also the last patch for 2010

OldForumPost

Message 7 of 14

Daniel...

I tried this patch you posted above, to no avail..
I am still having exactly the same issues with the dimensions in paperspace.
Notably, One cannot dimension from a node of a previous dimension, or it gives a "Paperspace" dimension.
Also, One CANNOT begin or end a dimension from the centre of a circle or arc. as it it gives a "Paperspace"dimension.

And, I wonder if the patch messed up the "Convert Object To Viewport" command?
Previously, I would make a circle or ellipse and convert to viewport and all would be well.
It would make a square or rectangle viewport around the shape but only allow the modelspace to show inside the chosen circle or arc shape.
Now, It shows the modelspace going beyond the edges of the circle or arc converted viewport to the edges of the square shape behind it??!!

I, (in my limited knowledge) cannot tell what else the patch (may) address..!
Is it possible to un-install the patch to confirm...?

OldForumPost

Message 8 of 14

Dear Damo,

I'm sure that this patch has solved the paper space dimension issue, if in your side you find the same problem, please check your viewport scale.
select the viewport and see the Custom Scale from property box, it should NOT be 0. If it is 0, then the dimesion value will be wrong.
As I know there are some kind of drawing that always has a 0 scale viewport, and I don't know why. because every time I create a viewport in ZWCAD, it will definately has a scale value.

About the Object as Viewport, I'm sorry that it is the problem of this patch which we didn't find out before. is it serious for you? This problem is not exist in the 2011 version.Daniel2011-06-09 22:23:21

OldForumPost

Message 9 of 14

Dear Damo,

I'm sure that this patch has solved the paper space dimension issue, if in your side you find the same problem, please check your viewport scale.
select the viewport and see the Custom Scale from property box, it should NOT be 0. If it is 0, then the dimesion value will be wrong.
As I know there are some kind of drawing that always has a 0 scale viewport, and I don't know why. because every time I create a viewport in ZWCAD, it will definately has a scale value.

As far as I can tell (without physically checking every single viewport, of which there are hundreds),
it seems every viewport has its own differing scale. Certainly the ones I had dimension issues are scaled. ie. .0411, .285, etc.Confused
This issue only occurs with centres of circles/arcs and dimensions begun on the node of another dimension.

Dear Damo,About the Object as Viewport, I'm sorry that it is the problem of
this patch which we didn't find out before. is it serious for you? This
problem is not exist in the 2011 version.
Damn... Angry That is just annoying.. It even retro-ed all my existing elliptical and circular viewports to rectangles. Now when I print, I get drawing objects visible outside the viewport edges.
The Crap old CAD software I used prior to ZW had this limitation. Since using ZW, I was delighted to find I could have rounded viewports... Alas No more..Cry
Can I uninstall the Patch?
Can I have ZW2011 upgrade ... for FREE..?!?!Wink

OldForumPost

Message 10 of 14

You can use this to downgrade to 630 version :
http://download.zwcad.org/en/Update/ZWCAD2010EngUpdate.msi
install it directly. it will also keep your settings. In this version, the round viewport is correct, and so is layout dimesion. The only problem is dimension in layout which start from a center of circle.

About the two problem:
1. when began on the node of another dimension
I suppose here you mean "another dimesion" in layout, not another dimesion in model. The reason is that you select the starting point from layout, so no matter where it ends, the dimension will caculate the distance in layout. so it's different from the distance in model. The solution is start your dimension from a point that comes from model. so you need to be careful when picking the dimension starting point.
This is actually not a problem, it's the way it should be. As I tested in Autocad, it's the same result.

2.When start from the center of circle or arc.
This is a problem, even if your circle is drawn in model, the dimension start from the center will get a layout distance. We have confirmed the problem before, and it is not solved yet, the ID is 15521, which you can keep for further inquiry.
The current solution is draw your dimension backwards, means do not start it from the center. You can start it from the other point and end at the center, then it will be fine.

OldForumPost

Message 11 of 14

OH CRAP !!Angry
This patch to presumably fix the dimension in paperspace issue.
http://download.zwcad.com/en/Special/20100830/Update/ZWCAD2010EngUpdate_830.msi
Causes non elliptical Viewports

The next patch to fix the non elliptical viewports
http://download.zwcad.org/en/Update/ZWCAD2010EngUpdate.msi
Brings back an old issue of Blocks disappearing of the edge of the screen..
http://classic.zwcad.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=869

Feels like running in circles... Grrr. FrustratingThumbs%20Down

OldForumPost

Message 12 of 14

Sorry Damo,
its not a cirlce, because the one that brings the old block issue is an old patch. the 830 one is a later patch which fix the block issue but unfortunately has the viewport issue, so I gave you the old one to downgrade as you demanded

Generally, if you can accept to use rectangle viewport, the 830 one is more stable.

OldForumPost

Message 13 of 14

Thanks Daniel.. I understand. Just venting. Many of my issues have been solved with the 2011 vers. (good) Which I _just_ missed out on. (bad)

The paperspace dimensioning thing was not a huge issue (as stated in my first post of this thread) it was just a tad annoying.
Not nearly as annoying as reformatting all my elliptical viewports or having random sections of blocks disappearing near the screen edge.

The version I was using (730) Had Rounded viewport possibilities, didn't
have the blocks off the screen issue and was generally faster on the
snaps in paperspace.

I would actually prefer to go back to that if at all possible. (without re-installing from scratch).

I didn't know how good I had it till I complained and things got changed..

OldForumPost

Message 14 of 14

Damo, here is the download link of 730 version, vernum=2010.07.30(14725.422)

http://download.zwcad.com/en/Special/20100730/ZWCAD2010EngWeb_0730.msi

But since this was only a special patch, we didn't provide update patch. It's a full installation, so I'm afraid you need to re-install from scratch...if there are any custom settings you would like to save, you can try to find how to save them before uninstall, or call me for help. Thanks for your understanding
See also
X