CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > 3D Cross Section needs major upgrade!!!

3D Cross Section needs major upgrade!!!

Subscribe Topic

Paul

Message 1 of 5

3D Cross Section needs major upgrade!!!
26-01-2012 06:37 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Guys, noticed that V2012 cross section view is unchanged from previous versions.

The cross section functionality is very limited and whilst is OK for checking interference not much good for anything else.
You cannot edit of pick cut away objects because the invisible parts get in the way.
The cut away faces are a uniform hatch color and style. They should be the same colour as the material or original object.
Cutaway face goes black a lot of the time since if it is not lit properly.

I would like to know when cutaway will be made into something decent and useful? Had high hopes for the next version but...
Cheers

William

Top Influencer

Message 2 of 5

27-01-2012 04:24 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Mudcrab, thank you for your suggestions.We are considering this functionality, it would be better if you can give me more information.:lol

Paul

Message 3 of 5

28-01-2012 08:57 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi William,
not sure what else I can add.
I'd like to be able to cut away view assembly and be able to at least pick the exposed parts for editing or alignment.
As it is now, the 'hidden cutaway is still selectable and in front of the visible section and any exposed parts.
Cutaway is very useful when dealing with shaft assembly's. So being to edit in that situation is very useful.
Have a look at how other software alows you to work whilst in cut away mode.
Right now I'd settle for the feaures I mentioned in the first post.
this means material attributes need to have more effect on how thaprt displays. e.g the material colour is editable and defines how the part displays in cutaway view.
I am sure other people have other requirements.
Cheers

William

Top Influencer

Message 4 of 5

29-01-2012 04:59 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi mudcrab, I will pay some times to reserch this functionality and give more enhance suggestions to R&D.I hope that it can getting more and more better. Anyway, I highly appreciate your informations.

Paul

Message 5 of 5

07-02-2012 11:14 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Try this in V2011 & 2012.
Open a part (I used an assy) do a section view and cut away what ever you want. Now turn off section frame display. OK the view settings. Now return to shaded, wireframe or analysis mode and rotate your parts.
It's kind a cool that you can do a section in Hiddenline BUT it isn't executed very well.
IMO - Some serious work required here....
See also
X