CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > New CAM features in VX10?

New CAM features in VX10?

Subscribe Topic

Aaron

Message 1 of 12

New CAM features in VX10?
21-07-2004 09:18 . am   |   View his/her posts only
We will be purchasing a 5 axis CAM software in the first week of august. Is there a list of enhancements that have been made to VX CAM?

george

Message 2 of 12

21-07-2004 09:56 . am   |   View his/her posts only
It would be nice to have an area that lists future improvements in VX.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 12

21-07-2004 11:50 . am   |   View his/her posts only

Hi George

We can't always do that because our industry is highly competitive - to stay ahead of the pack, we have to ensure that our technology secrets are kept away from large rivals that are only too happy to steal our ideas. Here is a taste of things to come in v10 (not everything is necessarily in the first release of 10):

Implement Import/Export of CAM operations
Easy to use engage and retract options in 2 1/2 milling
New linking for roughing
Implement support for sketch creation inside a CAM Plan
Recognize hole feature for the selected tool (drill op)
Speeding up CAM simulation
QM Lead in/Lead out enhanced
QM Roughing Plane Cleanup (island topping)
QM Spline elasticity for smooth links
Improve GUI for CAM operation 'Add Feature' option
New VX Post Processor (2 to 5 axis) with library

george

Message 4 of 12

21-07-2004 01:02 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Chris,
I would like to find out more on the VX post processor that you mentioned.

Is the forum just for customers, If it is could you put an area in the forum that would list future improvements?

I had heard qm roughing passes in ver 10 will rough and not leave stock unless you tell it too.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 12

21-07-2004 08:39 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi again George

We value all our customers, big and small. We know our product is by far the best value in our industry, and what really sets VX apart from the rest is our innovation. A lot of the improvements in each VX release are in response to customer suggestions, and very often the developers have crafted novel, original and highly effective solutions. It is important to the growth of our business that we maintain our technological lead - hence we do have to keep many of our cards close to our chest. That said, once we have new features close to completion, various key people throughout the world beta test them, the Press is briefed and public previews are given at major exhibitions. So, there is a list at this stage of course, a big list! This itemises the most pertinent items affecting customers so it would be good if it can be accomodated somewhere on the forum. I'll ask.

Kevin

Message 6 of 12

22-07-2004 04:06 . am   |   View his/her posts only
All I would ask is that if VX do go down this route of saying what's coming they actually deliver. After 2 1/2 years of promises from Think3 (where I was testing alphas and participating in interface discussions with developers) nothing was ever delivered except a massive hike in price.
Perhaps a better option for this forum would be a new conference "next version suggestions"?

VX use WebEx so you do have that medium to do private seminars to selected customers (as indeed Think3 do/did) to show upcoming features or to show prototypes of new features to get customer feedback.

Just my thoughts

ChrisWard2k2

Message 7 of 12

22-07-2004 10:50 . am   |   View his/her posts only

Hi Kevin

Suggested enhancements to the product are always most welcome - after all, who knows what is needed better than the people that use VX to earn their living?

I'm not in the business of slagging off the competition, we all have our strengths and weaknesses and CAD-CAM is a large and diverse market. However, I don't doubt for a minute that Think3 disappoints customers because, frankly, they spend a lot of time selling vapourware.

However, unless you are a time-served software programmer, it is difficult to understand apparently slow responses to requests for enhancements. The reality is that often a huge gap exists between what everyone agrees would be a great idea and the programming solution that can deliver it. Sometimes it is possible to produce a large amount of functionality in a short space of time, because math solutions previously defined for something else can be re-applied to the new task. Yet on other occasions a seemingly small, simple function can take far longer to code because it requires some genuine innovation to achieve it.

The VX development team is, unfortunately, comprised of human beings - we all know how bad that can be at times! VX has a proud reputation in the industry for delivering genuine cutting-edge technology. We have advanced hybrid functions that any high-end CAD would be proud of and rival MCAD vendors are constantly trying to copy. Nevertheless, it is inevitable that from time to time a project gets started but fails to materialise in the software for various reasons. We try to keep a balance and deliver the best improvements that will benefit the widest range of customers. The software speaks for itself - VX aims to constantly deliver excellence - but we are not perfect, we do make mistakes and CAD-CAM software programming is a highly complex, demanding task.

Dan

Message 8 of 12

22-07-2004 11:03 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I'll add here some of other improvements:
VX10.0
QM has a lot of customization in short links for roughing. Spline and smooth helical short links.
QM pretty much all major reported problems were fixed.
Better pencil milling

VX10.1
QM LeadIn along toolpath.
QM Minimum Holder Height optimization.
QM Custom start for closed spans.
QM Roughing Trochoids. (maybe).

BTW "speep up te simulation" was a result to gjohn request

george

Message 9 of 12

22-07-2004 11:16 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I am happy to hear that there are several improvements on the way. Are there any improvements for 5 axis? What can you tell us about the VX post processor?

Dan

Message 10 of 12

22-07-2004 12:06 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
VXPP is a new piece of software that is in heavy developed these days. It has a really easy to use look and feel.

I don't know all the details of its maturity. But I saw it and looks really nice. Now we try to give it to you as mature as possible but keep in your mind is a new product and we still need to test it and write some custom posts for it so will be still a lot of hard work and few satisfaction in beginning and we try to avoid to inflict too much "pain" in our users.

I don't know if will be shipped in 10.0. If Chris say so maybe it will.

About 5x I don't have too much feedback. I know was a lot of rework to UI and old cycles. Many guys are happier with what is coming.

As always I look with interest at your critical posts after V10.0 release gjohn

ChrisWard2k2

Message 11 of 12

25-07-2004 09:20 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hey QuickMill Master, I happened to be running a RAM checker in the background when using QM on a challenging toolpath. The way QM optimises the use of RAM is beautiful to behold. Though of course ultimately limited by available RAM and size of the task, QM re-cycled the memory very efficiently, ensuring that RAM was used for the entire process without dipping into the pagefile. Brilliant.

Everybody please note that my list is not comprehensive (bug fixes etc not there) and the enhancements are intended for v10 - that's v10.00 to v10.99 - not everything will make it to the first release. Version 10 gets significant new functionality across the board - more meat on the bone than ever before I think, certainly going to raise the eyebrows of the competition .

Dan

Message 12 of 12

26-07-2004 11:43 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Dear Chris,

Is called simple "luck" in plain English

A deeper answer is: QM has a pretty sophisticate memory allocation and usage pattern that swaps and reuses pages plus it compacts small chunks in custom memory pools to avoid memory fragmentation. I think now QM's allocation model is one of the best in market. Indeed if you relay only on OS memory management you can arrive easy out-of-mem. In general QM uses 1/3 of the real memory required in reality.

I did a analysis for point clouds processing where 2.4 GB was required to process a pesky 5 million point cloud and I managed to do it in 1 GB having lurking around a hungry OS and a full loaded VX(!) without swapping more than 3% of the time this is my new PhD in doing mini-miracles in a tiny space.

Im really proud about QMs memory allocation but in general people dont realize what a huge challenge is to give them a product that doesnt remember them to often that hardware has still limitations

BTW Im more concerned about the big number of post you have on the forum Chris. I think youll still my volatile crown soon
See also
X