QUICK MILL DIR.

Subscribe Topic

george

Message 1 of 11

QUICK MILL DIR.
29-07-2004 12:00 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I have been cleaning out the quick mill dir before I can calculate tool paths and I don't think that I should have to. I undertand that it is supposed to be fixed in 10.0 but I had a program this morning that looked fine so I posted it and when it ran it did not cut the way it was supposed to resulting in broken tools and down time. There seems to be several instances where I do not get the results of my verification when it comes time to run the programs.

When exactly is 10.0 coming out or should I go back a few releases to resolve my issues?

Do other people use VX cam? Does anyone else have any problems? All I ever see is the same few people writing in this forum.

Dan

Message 2 of 11

29-07-2004 01:38 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I'm sorry because I'm the same guy that post in QM related issues.

Yes we have many users in but not all of them are allowed to use this forum. I don't know exactly how this is working. I know our distrbutors are allowed.

I don't understand what do you mean with cleaning the cache. It is an option in menu that offer you possibility to clean the cache.

QM is cleaning periodical automatic the cache I think is triggered automatic if is bigger than 5GB. I don't understand why you should clean the cache by hand and how this affects your toolpaths.

I don't understand how you broke the tool and where is QM's fault? Can you please submit a PCR to have a better understanding of what's happen? I don't believe is a QM how you describe it looks like the toolpath that you generate doesn't come outside as generated.

george

Message 3 of 11

29-07-2004 02:08 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I did submit a pcr and I was informed that it was related to a similar issue and was fixed for 10.0. If I calc. a tool path and and then go and make another one I have to remember to clean the quick mill dir otherwise it will calc and have the previous tool path. This even happens it seperate cam plans.

george

Message 4 of 11

29-07-2004 02:30 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hear are some pics. to show kind of what I am talking about. In pre clean you can see the tool path in the impression that was first calculated, in post clean you can see the desired tool path after cleaning the quick mill directory.

Dan

Message 5 of 11

29-07-2004 04:34 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Thx John. Definitely wasn't me. I didn't address any PCR regarding this part. Please, if is possible, to write the PCR number to extrainvetigate it for you. BTW I saw a lot of parts milled with QM lets say in range of hundreds smalest 5x5mm^2 bigger 1500x1000mm^2 and people in general are happy with system the surface quality is miror if you want and this is one of the things people really like. Are still small issues in the interface some of them are addressed these days.

Sorry again for you tool breakage.

george

Message 6 of 11

30-07-2004 04:19 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I am not talking about the finish, for the most part the finish is ok the rest machining is much to be desired but that is a different issue. I am not getting the area machined where I want until I clean the quick mill dir. I should not have to remember to do this before calculating tool paths. I never had to do this before in other versions.

Here is what I got back on the pcr I got:

Version - 9.61
Platform - Windows
OS Version - XP
Severity - C - General Annoyance
Priority - A - High Priority
Module - CAM
Submodule - quick milling
Status - Fixed
Keywords -
Assigned - VX
Estimated Resolution - 10.0
Short Description: UNDESIRED TOOL PATHS
Diary:

===== Diary Created By georgej@lcforge.com on Wed Jul 28 14:24:41 2004 =====

HAVE TO CLEAN QUICK MILL DIR. TO GET TOOL PATH TO CALCULATE CORRECTLY.

===== Diary Updated By VX on Wed Jul 28 14:51:15 2004 =====
Estimated Resolution changed from NYS - Not Yet Scheduled to Future Release

Assigned to VX Development

===== Diary Updated By VX on Thu Jul 29 10:00:52 2004 =====
Status changed from Open to Fixed

Estimated Resolution changed from Future Release to 10.0

PCR Admin,

This has been resolved for VX10.0

This is similar to previously resolved PCRs ( I do not have PCR numbers).

This forum should be open to all customers.

OldForumPost

Message 7 of 11

30-07-2004 06:16 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello John,

your descriped problem is only inside VX 9.61 if you like you can go back to VX 9.51 you can still open VX 9.61 files with VX 9.51. But there is a small problem with VX 9.51 if you are using for the Z Limiting "selected points" the tool path calculaten can be wrong. The better way is do a "inquire coordinate" and take the value but all other things are working.

In general you have to clear the QM Dir only if you are changing (scale, new or other surfaces) the part that you like to mill in all other situations it is working.

The problem,as you know, is fixed with VX 10.0 that version should be available at the beginning of August perhaps in 10 days or so.

I hope that makes it more clear for you and helps.

The CAD/CAM dinosaur

PS I am in Germany and doing VX presentations that means sometimes it is hard to get quick response from my side

george

Message 8 of 11

30-07-2004 07:15 . am   |   View his/her posts only
How long has this been known that there was a problem with this? It would be nice to find out about some of the problems before it is too late.

OldForumPost

Message 9 of 11

30-07-2004 09:04 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello John,

We found the problem shortly after the relase from VX 9.61 and send a PCR. In Germany we are doing the GUI translation so we have some delay to the US release. That is the reason that in Germany no customer is using VX 9.61.

I think in that case the customers should get a information...but I think that is not the right table to talk about that. I think you should talk with one of the VX Corp people in Florida directly.

Dan

Message 10 of 11

30-07-2004 09:07 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Sorry gjohn cuz I reply to your problem again. Looks like isn't a QM problem. I suspect the lazy regeneration of STL file is the problem and this is the reason I was out of loop.

Rest Roughing can be easy tweaked using Analytical Model resolution (can slow down path generation) and/or decreasing the rest height. Please spend 1 hour and decide how sensible and how much time do you want regenerating the path. Is a worth it time because you feel better the behavior. I cant fix these two parameters because other users may have various opinions about these settings.

Thank you Thomas for you time posting. I hope to have your valuable oppinion most often posted on this forum.

OldForumPost

Message 11 of 11

06-08-2004 04:29 . am   |   View his/her posts only
One last information about the "lazy regeneration of STL". If you have changed the part and you go back into the CAMPlan for the tool path recalculation make a SAVE FILE before. If you have saved the file BEFORE you make the new calculation the STL will be updated and the new tool path is OK. I think that is a perfect and quick workaround and costs no time and nerves.

The CAD/CAM dinosaur

See also
X