CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Plotting functionality in ZW3D

Plotting functionality in ZW3D

Subscribe Topic

Luurt

Message 1 of 9

Plotting functionality in ZW3D
21-06-2012 05:30 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Does any of the forum members have some experience with a CANON C3030i A3 size printer?
We have a customer who is not able to produce a proper A3 size print from ZW3D through the plot function
It is always shifted on the paper and off scale.
Every version between 14.3 and now behaves differently too
In 2011 sp1 we were almost there, the only problem was that the printer took the wrong paper drawer and the plot came out on A4 size.
In V 2012/16.0 It is off scale and shifted again.
As far as I know the plot function is the only way to support line types and -thicknesses.
It is really frustrating since the problem started already in V 14.3.

Any advice, or even better, the solution is welcome

Colin

Manager

Message 2 of 9

21-06-2012 12:05 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi, Luurt

I tried to get the driver from Google search, but it seems that I could not find the right plotter driver, could you please send the driver for us to duplicate the problem? And we could take it to the future development project. Thanks in advance.

Best regards
Colin

Paul

Message 3 of 9

22-06-2012 04:12 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Luurt,
here is possible work around.
I never print or plot direct to a printer.
I have installed Primo PDF printer(free and no watermarks) then print everything to that.
You will need to get your head around plot definitions and set up one for each size paper you use. I have plot definition for landscape and portrait in A4, A3. I'll try and attach them if I can figure out the odd way that works. (Spelling corrections required in instructions)You have to activate the desired definition before you print.
I use Foxit PDF reader - multi tabbed and also free. This way I auto check every print file. Then I can print to any printer from there AND have a reference copy of all drawings on record.

Hope that helps. VXPlotdefintions.zip (4.06 KB) :)

Luurt

Message 4 of 9

22-06-2012 04:26 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 2# colinchuang2008

Hi Collin,
This morning I started a hunt for the driver.
On the download page from Cannon I found a list of more than 20 drivers and other packages that seem to belong to this type of printer
In my post I refer to a 3030I type
That should be a 2030I type
Don't even know if a 3030 exists :-)
Anyway, I will try to get the right info from our customer and get back to you.

Thanks,
Luurt

Luurt

Message 5 of 9

22-06-2012 04:28 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 3# mudcrab

Thanks a lot for the info.
Apparently you succeeded in attaching the file :-)
Thanks alot
I'll let you know how it went

Regards,
Luurt

Dave

Message 6 of 9

26-06-2012 04:54 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 5# luurt

Paul's solution of creating a PDF is a good one. But one question I have is do you use "Plot" or "Print?" Mike Lynch told me when I started with VX to only use "Print" as Plot was really for legacy drivers for older plotters. I have also found that unless the printer sees the paper size as perfect, it can create havoc, hence one of the values of printing as a PDF is a PDF will fit the print (plot) to the paper size.

DaveD

Paul

Message 7 of 9

26-06-2012 01:54 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Dave,
In 2011 on I just use the Print icon from Toolbar. Ctrl P.
My understanding is that the 'newer' Print is actually a rationalisation of the Plot process.
Where the templates of any use?
Cheers

Luurt

Message 8 of 9

28-06-2012 11:43 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 7# mudcrab

Gentlemen,
As far as we know about the Print function in ZW3D and also former versions of VX this function does not support the standard ISO line types and thicknesses that can be preset in the plotting config files.
For a quick PDF or printout it works fine, but for shop floor drawings the quality is not sufficient.
That is why the plot wizard is still needed, unless the printing functionality is expanded to support high quality drawings with adjustable line attribute settings like most of our fellow cad systems have

I haven't been able to try out the config files yet, because of a tight training schedule
Hopefully I can sit down wit the customer end of next week to sort it out

Thanks!

Regards
Luurt

Luurt

Message 9 of 9

13-09-2012 08:39 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Dear forum members
After holidays and catching up on work, I found time for an update
In SP1 of ZW3D 2012 we did the tests with and without the config files I got
As a matter of fact there was not much difference between our files and the ones I received.
Bu we came to a temp solution.
The first test was A4, which never was a problem in the past and also now it worked perfect.
With the same settings, except for the paper size we tried an A3 drawing and it looked well in preview.
The print, however was scaled up by 1.4, showing the upper left corner of the drawing on paper.
We got to a work around by setting the scale in the plot wizard to 0.7.
That resulted in a proper scaled drawing, only not at the right location.
Then we added an x offset of -61 and Y offset -44.
Preview sucks but plot is OK, now
Two possibilities, now, either the printer driver has lost its mind or the data sent by ZW plot wizard contains info for A3 size drawings that is not correct.
Perhaps the above info brings up ideas that lead to a solution.

Thank you all for the input
Best regards,
Luurt
See also
X